• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Service Electronic Throttle Control Message

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
Hope this solves it for you. Keep us updated!

I took the plunge to either break it or make it and hauled a Toyota Corolla on a 22' trailer-hauler, about 6000 pounds total weight from central PA to Atlanta GA.
I was pleasantly surprised with the MPG, engine noise, feel and the overall comfort of the ~900 miles trip loaded.

I'm just still puzzled over the injectors failure, the technician at RAM said that this has to do with the DEF exhaust system, but I own a diesel 2014 BMW 328d , never had an issue what so ever ... I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
Update: After replacing fuel injectors at 19K miles, I am now at 29K and the dreadful throttle control message is back on.
It seems that every 10K miles this thing happens.
Truck is back at the shop :(
IMG_8845.JPG

Michael Stief

May 29, 2017
Truck Year
I bought 2015 with 8700 miles. I had the turbo replaced at about 15000 and have had several of the throttle warning lights. It's at the dealership now for the latest one.

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
Bought a 2014 with 50K miles on it and ETC light came on in July of last year. Since then it has come on eight more times. Had a new sensor installed at a cost of $220 the first time. New turbo (under certified warranty) 2nd time. Now they are just throwing parts at it. Service tech told me that the engineers at Chrysler are scratching their heads over this as they aren't sure what to do, told me it appears to be an epidemic across the country. So far everything has been covered under warranty. ETC (electronic throttle control) came on April 25 2017 (seventh time) was down until May 10. Came back on on May 21 and I still haven't got it back from the dealer. The dealer is in contact with the engineers at Chrysler and the engineers are doing all sorts of diagnostics. SAVE ALL RECEIPTS FROM THE DEALER AND RECORD WHEN IT GOES IN AND YOU GET IT BACK. TAKE PICTURES OF ETC LIGHT FOR RECORDS. I've got a feeling Chrysler is gonna be biting the bullet on this one.

Jamie

Jul 9, 2017
Truck Year
My ED has 93k miles on it. The last 2 months the error message has came on 4 times. I've been removing it by clearing the computer at an auto parts store. Seems to last a few weeks before I happens again. The last time it happened I took it to the dodge dealer and they didn't really have a solution. They replaced the file filter and air filter and said hopefully that fixes it. The next day it happened again. I cleared it at the auto parts store and it happened again that same day. After reading all the post on forums about this issue I have no confidence in taking it to dodge to get it looked at. Has anyone ever came up with a confirmed lasting fix for this issue? Thanks!

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
My ED has 93k miles on it. The last 2 months the error message has came on 4 times. I've been removing it by clearing the computer at an auto parts store. Seems to last a few weeks before I happens again. The last time it happened I took it to the dodge dealer and they didn't really have a solution. They replaced the file filter and air filter and said hopefully that fixes it. The next day it happened again. I cleared it at the auto parts store and it happened again that same day. After reading all the post on forums about this issue I have no confidence in taking it to dodge to get it looked at. Has anyone ever came up with a confirmed lasting fix for this issue? Thanks!

Since your warranty expired the best way to fix it is to delete the emission crap.
If you are in a strict emission state then green diesel engineering egr only delete is the way to go.

For now your fuel injectors need replacing

Jamie

Jul 9, 2017
Truck Year
Since your warranty expired the best way to fix it is to delete the emission crap.
If you are in a strict emission state then green diesel engineering egr only delete is the way to go.

For now your fuel injectors need replacing
When I bought the truck at 88k miles I had it deleted and put a 30hp eco tune on it. Seems odd that it would need injectors since I can reset the computer and it will run fine for a couple weeks usually. Injectors only helped you for 10k miles right? Just don't wanna throw down $2500 I don't have for a fix that won't last. If that's what I have to do then I guess I take my loss and of it. Just looking for a cheaper permanent fix.

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
When I bought the truck at 88k miles I had it deleted and put a 30hp eco tune on it. Seems odd that it would need injectors since I can reset the computer and it will run fine for a couple weeks usually. Injectors only helped you for 10k miles right? Just don't wanna throw down $2500 I don't have for a fix that won't last. If that's what I have to do then I guess I take my loss and of it. Just looking for a cheaper permanent fix.
As i understand the problem : carbon buildup and soot shoots back into the injectors when the regeneration is interrupted (stop engine while regenerating) causing improper fuel injection, loss of torque and increased fuel consumption... again the RAM tech who explained it to me could be wrong.

What is you error code ?

Jamie

Jul 9, 2017
Truck Year
As i understand the problem : carbon buildup and soot shoots back into the injectors when the regeneration is interrupted (stop engine while regenerating) causing improper fuel injection, loss of torque and increased fuel consumption... again the RAM tech who explained it to me could be wrong.

What is you error code ?
Not real sure, something to do with Turbocharger under boost

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
Not real sure, something to do with Turbocharger under boost
Yep ... that's the injectors
I highly suggest call green diesel engineering, have their opinion and their tune.
If you must replace the injectors, don't go to the dealer. It will cost a lot cheaper if done elsewhere

Jamie

Jul 9, 2017
Truck Year
Yep ... that's the injectors
I highly suggest call green diesel engineering, have their opinion and their tune.
If you must replace the injectors, don't go to the dealer. It will cost a lot cheaper if done elsewhere
Here's what I don't understand, how can I reset the computer and the truck runs perfect of a week or more if the injectors are out. I'm not a mechanic by no means, I just don't get it.

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
Here's what I don't understand, how can I reset the computer and the truck runs perfect of a week or more if the injectors are out. I'm not a mechanic by no means, I just don't get it.

It's probably one or 2 injectors ... not all of them

trace2008

Sep 21, 2016
Truck Year
.............What they did to fix my truck was take apart the egr and washed the soot out from the motor. It was obstructing the air flow the tech said. Also have them check your hoses that are attached to the intercooler. I had oil residue there. They cleaned the hoses...................
Got the same thing along with exhaust system failure half way between Reno and Vegas. I have 64K miles on the truck. I got to Vegas with the toyhauler behind me in Limp Mode for about 200 miles (limits the RPM to less than 3000, any thing higher cuts fuel and reduces power.) By the time I got there the exhaust filter was 100% full. Dealerships were saying 5 to 7 days to look at it. Sahara dealer got it in and turned around in two days. EGR was completely blocked and apparently the DEF system will not operate while the EGR is not working. They billed me for an oil change diagnostics and labor to the tune of $360 out the door.

Jamie

Jul 9, 2017
Truck Year
Got the same thing along with exhaust system failure half way between Reno and Vegas. I have 64K miles on the truck. I got to Vegas with the toyhauler behind me in Limp Mode for about 200 miles (limits the RPM to less than 3000, any thing higher cuts fuel and reduces power.) By the time I got there the exhaust filter was 100% full. Dealerships were saying 5 to 7 days to look at it. Sahara dealer got it in and turned around in two days. EGR was completely blocked and apparently the DEF system will not operate while the EGR is not working. They billed me for an oil change diagnostics and labor to the tune of $360 out the door.

Hopefully your $360 is all it takes to fix it. My truck is deleted and still does it. Dealer scheduled all new injectors this week. The past month I've had a code reader hooked up in my truck any time it trips the TPS I just reset the check engine light and all is good for a couple more weeks.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hopefully your $360 is all it takes to fix it. My truck is deleted and still does it. Dealer scheduled all new injectors this week. The past month I've had a code reader hooked up in my truck any time it trips the TPS I just reset the check engine light and all is good for a couple more weeks.

How many miles? I'm assuming this is out of warranty?

Jamie

Jul 9, 2017
Truck Year
How many miles? I'm assuming this is out of warranty?

93,000 miles, the delete kit and 30 HP tune voided the warranty...so it's my baby. They tell me anyone with an ED should be running some type of fuel stabilizer in every tank of fuel to avoid injector issues since this motor is prone to injector issues.

bdhen

Jun 4, 2016
Truck Year
I got the electronic control module code on my 2016 ecodiesel with 38K miles. Top speed was 60 mph with no power, so I limped into the dealership in Jefferson City, MO. Showing up at a dealership at 4 pm is never a good thing. They thankfully got it going the next day. Had to replace all 6 injectors plus the fuel lines. Said they all had build up on them. Fortunately they said it was part of the drive train and the warranty covered it. I asked numerous questions about how to keep this from happening again. The only recommendation they had was change the fuel filter more often. I had already changed it twice at 20K miles, then again 15K miles later, so I was ahead of what the Ram manual says. Replacing injectors on these trucks seems to be an issue. Is has me wondering if I need to go get a Hemi. I am not real excited about having to replace injectors every 30K miles. Love the truck and the motor, but not sure the extra expense for fuel, oil changes, DEF and fuel filter changes, plus replacing injectors is the most economical sense to me. My last rig (2003 Suburban) has 321K miles and is still going strong. I have never touched the engine. Just took care of it.

Concerned in AR!

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year
I got the electronic control module code on my 2016 ecodiesel with 38K miles. Top speed was 60 mph with no power, so I limped into the dealership in Jefferson City, MO. Showing up at a dealership at 4 pm is never a good thing. They thankfully got it going the next day. Had to replace all 6 injectors plus the fuel lines. Said they all had build up on them. Fortunately they said it was part of the drive train and the warranty covered it. I asked numerous questions about how to keep this from happening again. The only recommendation they had was change the fuel filter more often. I had already changed it twice at 20K miles, then again 15K miles later, so I was ahead of what the Ram manual says. Replacing injectors on these trucks seems to be an issue. Is has me wondering if I need to go get a Hemi. I am not real excited about having to replace injectors every 30K miles. Love the truck and the motor, but not sure the extra expense for fuel, oil changes, DEF and fuel filter changes, plus replacing injectors is the most economical sense to me. My last rig (2003 Suburban) has 321K miles and is still going strong. I have never touched the engine. Just took care of it.

Concerned in AR!
I don't think they have a clue just what is going on. I have a 2014 with 83,000 miles. They replaced the complete engine 5,000 miles ago after the same situation you discribed above happened eight times from July 2016 thru May 2017. Prior to that, they had replaced the turbo sendor, the complete turbo, several injectors at different times. I don't believe changing out the fuel filter any sooner would've helped. I change mine out when I do an oil change, which is just less than every 10,000 miles.
The dealer had a Chrysler engineer fly in to do the evaluation on the engine prior to being replaced. The engineer was here all week doing all kinds of diagnostics; truck was at the dealer for about three weeks during this time. The dealer said the engineer told them this seems to be an epidemic across the country with this engine. To date, since the introduction of this motor, the dealership that did the work has replaced three ecodiesel engines, two because of lower bearing failure - these were just lower engine replcement, and one complete engine (mine) injectors and all - service manager said that is not normal to be replacing so many engines. And they are just one dealership!

Last edited: