• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

air suspension upgrade

Dave131211

Feb 7, 2018
Truck Year
Well thats it. I have had enough of the air suspension failing. First two winters were pretty good, not to many problems. The third winter has been completely different. Fail after fail after fail. Put it in a warm garage for two days and only good for a couple hours. Now it has completely failed. Blew fuses...I think the compressor has failed. Don't want to take it in because I know what the dealer is going to say. And would rather spend the money that they are going to take for nothing for another suspension. Have found a good BDS suspension but cost is an issue right now. Has anyone done any simple mods to this system to keep it going? I would think if you cut the lines to each bag, changed it over to an air fitting and pumped them up to the proper level you could bypass the compressor and all the crap for now. Has anyone tried this? Would be just like a normal air system. Maybe even put a normal compressor on it, and be able to add brake line antifreeze. Like a normal air system.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Dealer explained once there is water in the system the compressor rusts and at that point it's shot, get a new compressor, excavation and nitrogen fill. If your system is properly functioning at any given time, just pull the f4 fuse that blows and disable the compressor. It will function as fixed air bags; just no load leveling or offroad modes.

I read of people with rebels putting full bds spring kits and removing the air system. I guess any full coil and shock kit could be put on to replace the factory bags.

I had some issues this year as well being my 3rd year. Nothing before this, I just plan to pull the fuse myself this winter in hopes of less issues.

I read of people putting brake line antifreeze into the vent lines as well with some success. The system will eventually take it in. The lines are in the box within the passenger tail lamp. Removed the light and there are 2x lines to and from the compressor.

Hope this gives you a few viable ideas to work with in the meantime?

Dave131211

Feb 7, 2018
Truck Year
Awesome info. Waited for a warmer day and put in a new fuse. Compressor pumped up no problem. Got cold again and same issue. Then i read your reply. Going to wait until it warms up then try pulling the fuse. Thank you very much for the info.

Big Jon!

Nov 14, 2019
Truck Year
Dealer explained once there is water in the system the compressor rusts and at that point it's shot, get a new compressor, excavation and nitrogen fill. If your system is properly functioning at any given time, just pull the f4 fuse that blows and disable the compressor. It will function as fixed air bags; just no load leveling or offroad modes.

I read of people with rebels putting full bds spring kits and removing the air system. I guess any full coil and shock kit could be put on to replace the factory bags.

I had some issues this year as well being my 3rd year. Nothing before this, I just plan to pull the fuse myself this winter in hopes of less issues.

I read of people putting brake line antifreeze into the vent lines as well with some success. The system will eventually take it in. The lines are in the box within the passenger tail lamp. Removed the light and there are 2x lines to and from the compressor.

Hope this gives you a few viable ideas to work with in the meantime?

HI JDN, i am having this same issue that another member explained above, you mentioned pulling the F4 fuse. what will this do. my truck is starting to act up, will work fine for 30 minutes, then drops down to the lowest level. So right now, it is working fine, then in 30 minutes or less it will mess up. if i pull the F4 now while it is at regular ride height, what will this do?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
HI JDN, i am having this same issue that another member explained above, you mentioned pulling the F4 fuse. what will this do. my truck is starting to act up, will work fine for 30 minutes, then drops down to the lowest level. So right now, it is working fine, then in 30 minutes or less it will mess up. if i pull the F4 now while it is at regular ride height, what will this do?
It's going to disable the compressor and air suspension. So as long as there are no leaks in your system it should just retain height, it just will not be active suspension to any excess load

Big Jon!

Nov 14, 2019
Truck Year
It's going to disable the compressor and air suspension. So as long as there are no leaks in your system it should just retain height, it just will not be active suspension to any excess load
Ok, I appreciate your input. Just a couple more things. I noticed my air suspension compressor is F5. My F4 is labelled as spare. So I am assuming I removed F5?
Also, I believe my truck drops down once parked for a few minutes, Should I start the truck, get the suspension up to riding height then remove fuse once truck is running? Or should I get it to the correct height, then turn off and then remove fuse. I believe it will remain riding height for a few minutes after parked. Thanks

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Ok, I appreciate your input. Just a couple more things. I noticed my air suspension compressor is F5. My F4 is labelled as spare. So I am assuming I removed F5?
Also, I believe my truck drops down once parked for a few minutes, Should I start the truck, get the suspension up to riding height then remove fuse once truck is running? Or should I get it to the correct height, then turn off and then remove fuse. I believe it will remain riding height for a few minutes after parked. Thanks
Let it air up and then remove the fuse. Green 30A micro bus, small square fuse.

Unfortunately it sounds like your valve body is damaged (rust scale from condensation) and not sealing off the bags, but it will be a quick diagnosis.

I found the compressors with valve body assemblies for 500-700 last year online. Dealer wanted 9? Couple hour install, vacuum, nitrogen charge, antifreeze, etc.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
change the suspension to standard cost less than the air compressor