• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GDE Performance before and after testing

DMDK-ECO

Aug 13, 2016
Truck Year
I enjoy every minute of it. Truck became effortless at lower rpm.
Truck pulls realy strong in 4th and 5th.
1st Regen arrived at 750km still waiting for second for comparission.

Fuel economy remained at around 10.5L/100 city. Didnt do any hwy driving since the tune.
But i tend to drive it a bit harder because it is fun now.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Fuel economy remained at around 10.5L/100 city. Didnt do any hwy driving since the tune.
But i tend to drive it a bit harder because it is fun now.

That tends to happy on every power mod that's added.. so don't fell so bad. :D

Thanks for sharing your review.

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Really like mine. Far better MPG. It does not downshift as much while going up hills - it just torques them out. This was really evident while traveling the same interstate path before and after install. The cruise control is really different. It is not as aggressive and does not waste fuel as before. I hardly ever used the cruise before, because it wasted fuel. Last tank, I used the cruse EVERY chance I got and 30.6 mpg hand-calculated while running 10-ply tires that are far heavier than stock. I've avoided the cruise control this tank to see if I could beat the Cruise control MPG average, but so far, it knows best. We'll see. It seems like a lot of the engine problems that I've read about are soot related, which the GDE Tune's EGR delete should fix, offering a cleaner environment inside the crankcase. The oil sure seems cleaner.

DMDK-ECO

Aug 13, 2016
Truck Year
@DMDK-ECO still enjoying the tune? It seems like most people here love their GDE tuning.. glad to see that!

Love every minute of it. Dont remember life before it :) Fuel economy hovers from 10.5L to 11L per 100km in city cycle. Didnt drive enough before the tune to confirm or dispute.

HarleyRob

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
I'm seriously considering the GDE tune for my 2016. One more question: Is it worth the money to install a K&N type air filter and the turbo tube from the air box to the turbo. The factory tube flattens out. Banks and others make one that is round all the way.

Thanks

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I'm seriously considering the GDE tune for my 2016. One more question: Is it worth the money to install a K&N type air filter and the turbo tube from the air box to the turbo. The factory tube flattens out. Banks and others make one that is round all the way.

Thanks
Harley, I have always been a K&N guy. I've used their air filters and oil filters in all my vehicles. I have done a lot of research in the last month since I bought my ED. One of the alarming things that I've read is that oil analysis results from trucks using the K&N air filter showed high silica content. It does make sense that a high flow air filter would allow more particles through. I don't know if this is true, but it made enough sense to me that I am sticking with the regular air filter. Do your own research...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1096766

Last edited:

DMDK-ECO

Aug 13, 2016
Truck Year

Thanks

I installed K&N but just a drop in cuz its a good filter and reusable. As for the tube, unless you want to hear more turbo whine, i wouldnt waste the money on the kit.

Next to GDE i wouldnt go with anything else, unless you deside to go turbo upgrade and do everything :)

HarleyRob

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
I installed K&N but just a drop in cuz its a good filter and reusable. As for the tube, unless you want to hear more turbo whine, i wouldnt waste the money on the kit.

Next to GDE i wouldnt go with anything else, unless you deside to go turbo upgrade and do everything :)
Thanks

HarleyRob

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year

Thanks

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
We do not recommend k&n style filtration on a turbocharged engine. The hi-flow filters do have less pressure drop, but they let larger particles through the media. These particles can reduce turbo compressor life over time. Naturally aspirated engines can eat the larger particles without major issues. The stock airbox is more than adequate for this engine.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
We do not recommend k&n style filtration on a turbocharged engine. The hi-flow filters do have less pressure drop, but they let larger particles through the media. These particles can reduce turbo compressor life over time. Naturally aspirated engines can eat the larger particles without major issues. The stock airbox is more than adequate for this engine.

Thanks for chiming in!

HarleyRob

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year

Thank you very much

vandan

Sep 18, 2016
Truck Year
I have put in one too in my truck and it is a lot better to crawl from a start on ice then before turbo is more tame also way better fuel mpg by about a 100 miles to the tank depending on wind drag but very noticeable. For performance it is where this truck should have been from factory which I think Dodge Fiat didn't do their do diligence lazy or don't care which is more what I think about them for a truck that costs too much to begin with. For cold start up and warm up I have ask for the higher idle setting which is a no brainer for our cold winters it revs after about a minute to about 1500 rpm. so the heater will blow heat in the cabin quicker otherwise the way it was it was barely getting any heat.The tranny doesn't seem to keep up to the motor for the lower shifts but probably pulling a trailer it would be very good and regen cycle is at about every 750 klm. which is a lot less than factory setting this is basically all hwy that I put on, I have recorded up to 40 mpg with the tune which I have never seen factory about 30 at best. I think the tune is money well spent which will be recovered fairly quick if you have the intension to keep the truck for at 3 plus years.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I am very impressed by the GDE tune but I have a 2017 that only has 2025 miles on it that I purchased in February. I am concerned it I installed the tuned ECU then there goes my warranty. I even think if I kept my stock ECU and changed it out when I had to go to the dealership for warranty work they could plug in and then see so much data points missing based upon mileage and would know the ECU has not been in the truck very long. This would be grounds to void the warranty. I wish there was a way around this.....anyone have any ideas?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
There are no ideas really. If they want to dig and find out you’ve altered the ECM, they can. They can also deny warranty because of it. But they better be able to prove the GDE tuned ECM caused the failure in a courtroom, which I’m not sure would be the case. Just hope it doesn’t get to that because it would cost you money to fight them.

Life is too short to worry about such things. Just drive it and enjoy. If it really does cost you sleep, get out of the truck and find something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
You are right about just drive the truck and enjoy it. So far I am really impressed with my 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie ecodiesel. I have the 3.92 rear end and get between 22 & 23 all round driving and right around 28 to 29 on the highway. For a truck that is impressive. Since I only have 2200 miles on it I will keep it stock except I will install an Amsoil oil bypass filter system on it.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I would be more worried about the oil bypass system throwing up flags (warranty wise), then the GDE tune.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I would be more worried about the oil bypass system throwing up flags (warranty wise), then the GDE tune.

Your right about the oil bypass system throwing up flags........I would need to remove it to be on the safe side if i take my truck in for warranty work. I am looking at how to do an install that would be easy to remove if I had too. For instance, 2nd oil cap that has not been modified. I have been told there is a high pressure port on the right cylinder head towards the front that has a recessed hexed that can be removed. I am hoping I could make the deinstall simple if I had to remove it.

I am still very tempted to go with the GDE tune but will wait until I have 20,000 miles on truck.