• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Air Suspension Problems

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Still fighting the good battle. Dealership can't get it in until the 18th, air suspension went into protection mode dumping both front bags completely, had to replace the air suspension F5 fuse and disconnect the battery things went back to normal but I've had the suspension message come up a time or two since even in 20+ degree weather. I know with a blown fuse there's an underlying issue. Searching what I've had time to confirmed my suspicion of a likely bad or corroded wheel position sensor, but who knows! Been a rather irritating experience

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Just an update: I am down south for the winter in the warm weather and the air suspension system has functioned flawlessly since the one incident after the repare work done at the dealer. I just had the one failure in the cold weather in Nortern Alberta but none since that one error code and failure.
I just do not understand how this is not a ECU or level sensor problem related to the cold!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well I missed my dealer appointment yesterday but it was 40F today and everything was flawless. So I've replace a fuse, and I think it's related to the compressor vent lines at the taillight though I haven't removed and checked yet. Would probably like to have the system evacuated and refilled with nitrogen.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Confirmation of the iced compressor vent lines. Couple days above freezing after replacing the fuse and all is back to normal. Been back to -15F (this very moment) and functioning as it's supposed to. Guess a guy needs a garage that actually fits his truck for a thaw out every once in a while

Kancho

Jan 17, 2018
Truck Year
Cold weather air suspension failure at temperatures below - 15 C. Air suspension fails truck rides like 1 ton, took it into the dealer and they claimed they had never seen the problem!
They put the system under vac for 12 hours then refilled the system with dry nitrogen ($ 450.00) not covered under warranty FC!
It worked for few days and failed again, took it back to the dealer now he said the 5 more failures!
Started our trip south for the winter and the air suspension failed ever day until we got to Salt Lake City into some warmer weather! Working fine now that it warm.
Anyone else had this problem!
I've had my 2014 truck 3 1/2 years now. First two winters had absolutely no problems. Last winter it happened twice at -25C that the compressor froze up and the air bags were deflated. Had to put the truck into the garage at work to warm it up. After that it was okay. This winter is a whole different story. Every time it gets down to -15C it blows the fuse from freezing up. Took it to the dealer and they said they have had problems with every air suspension truck they've sold. They said that it was the compressor. $1850 later it did it again. Brought it back and they put the system under vacuum for 45 minutes and refilled the nitrogen. Said that tech support made the suggestion. It was -26C last night and I have just made my appointment for this Saturday to take it back with another blown fuse. FCC doesn't give a damn about trucks it sells in cold climates. If there is no problem in California where it doesn't get cold, there's no problem.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well I ran just fine in -20F for another couple of weeks without issue, got home the other night and serviced out the truck, oil change, fuel filter, and rear end. Left it in off road 2 overnight and it locked there. Fuse wasn't blowing just wouldn't move and throwing the service message. Was in the dealership for a flash and they got it to move to normal height probably just being in the warm shop.

Service Rep said probably 10% of the air suspension vehicles in the area have had issues. Closed nitrogen system but atmospherically vented with no dryer, said once moisture gets into the compressor it's game over. They pull it, find moisture and have to replace the compressor.

Went 2 winters flawless, this winter has been a bit troublesome but only deflated and went to protection mode once.

Got the message again driving home locked in Aero but haven't driven the last 2 days, it's above freezing now. Will probably be great.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
I've had my 2014 truck 3 1/2 years now. First two winters had absolutely no problems. Last winter it happened twice at -25C that the compressor froze up and the air bags were deflated. Had to put the truck into the garage at work to warm it up. After that it was okay. This winter is a whole different story. Every time it gets down to -15C it blows the fuse from freezing up. Took it to the dealer and they said they have had problems with every air suspension truck they've sold. They said that it was the compressor. $1850 later it did it again. Brought it back and they put the system under vacuum for 45 minutes and refilled the nitrogen. Said that tech support made the suggestion. It was -26C last night and I have just made my appointment for this Saturday to take it back with another blown fuse. FCC doesn't give a damn about trucks it sells in cold climates. If there is no problem in California where it doesn't get cold, there's no problem.[/QUOTE

Kancho, what fuse is blowing I have not had that problem with mine, please advise!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
As expected, everything functioning perfect today at 35F. It bothers me that it is finicky when cold. Spent too Damn much money for that on a 3 year old vehicle

Kancho

Jan 17, 2018
Truck Year
It is a 40amp fuse closest to the fender near the right side of the fuse box. Not sure of the position number(f5 or something). There is a large relay in the corner closest to the battery on fender side. It is the fuse just to the left of it. I noticed this last time that they put on a delay fuse in there. They say when it gets too cold, the compressor overloads from it or the distribution block being frozen and blows the fuse. I' m told that it is a closed loop nitrogen system on one side but has an air intake of some sort on the other. Why they couldn't put an air dryer on there is beyond me. Never had that problem when I drove big trucks years ago.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yep. Service Rep agreed, until they decide to put a dryer in the system it will continue to eat air compressors

Kancho

Jan 17, 2018
Truck Year
I've had my 2014 truck 3 1/2 years now. First two winters had absolutely no problems. Last winter it happened twice at -25C that the compressor froze up and the air bags were deflated. Had to put the truck into the garage at work to warm it up. After that it was okay. This winter is a whole different story. Every time it gets down to -15C it blows the fuse from freezing up. Took it to the dealer and they said they have had problems with every air suspension truck they've sold. They said that it was the compressor. $1850 later it did it again. Brought it back and they put the system under vacuum for 45 minutes and refilled the nitrogen. Said that tech support made the suggestion. It was -26C last night and I have just made my appointment for this Saturday to take it back with another blown fuse. FCC doesn't give a damn about trucks it sells in cold climates. If there is no problem in California where it doesn't get cold, there's no problem.

Truck went in on Saturday with more suspension problems. Turns out that the 3 week old compressor is pooched again! Parts manager said that they are back ordered until mid March. Said they have changed the part numbers 7 times so they obviously know there is a problem to upgrade it so many times. I am also Number 6 on their waiting list for compressors. I now have a loaner for the next while. I was told that they have had problems with every air suspension truck they have sold. Parts manager was surprised that I got 3 1/2 years out of the first compressor. I love my air suspension but would not wish this on anyone living north of the 49th parallel.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Apparently there is an air side vent from the compresser that can pull air into system. It is located next to the rear passenger tail light in the rear wheel well fender that is looking like the main suspect in this problem.
If I can find out more detail on it I may try mounting a desiccant air dryer filter on the line and placing it in the box of the truck for next winter.
My dealer's service manager told me they have had good success using brake line antifreeze in the systems this winter which I will check out also when I return home.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Apparently there is an air side vent from the compresser that can pull air into system. It is located next to the rear passenger tail light in the rear wheel well fender that is looking like the main suspect in this problem.
If I can find out more detail on it I may try mounting a desiccant air dryer filter on the line and placing it in the box of the truck for next winter.
My dealer's service manager told me they have had good success using brake line antifreeze in the systems this winter which I will check out also when I return home.
Definitely if a guy could run antifreeze it'd be a no brainer if I get back into problem mode yet this winter it may be on my list of things to try. other option would require adding a dryer to the system not sure how ridiculous that would be to do.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
More air suspension problem goodies in these parts.

Service message for a week, followed by immediate service with disabled compressor for a week. Got to dealer for a scan anyways: 2 bad height sensors. One open to ground one open to battery both left side. Needed pavers so loaded up 1800# in the bed and headed 2 hours home, 3/4 of the way evic started going nuts jumping from service to service immediately, actually kicked on the compressor and went into Aero mode, and back when I slowed down. But by the time I made it home blew the fuse and went to protection mode dumping the air. Good times. To be continued lol

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
I was in at the dealer for an oil change, some minor work recently and discussed the air suspension problem.
Their current fix with the brake line antifreeze seems to be working, they said they did not have a single return for any of the trucks they treated. (And they indicated they had allot of trucks in with the same problem, due to the extreme weather we had over the past winter)
I will take mine back in September to have the treatment done and will get all the details on what they are doing and let you all know.

In the meantime I am having them route the compressor vent into the truck box (as I have a canopy) and will install large desiccant dryer cartridge just under the box lip with the canopy and let you all know how that goes.

At least it looks like there is some hope to try to maintain these systems no thanks to F/C who seems content to ignor the problem.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I just wish the really specific Body codes related to it were accessible without a dealership scanner. That would Make it much easier

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Catastrophic failure. Thanks Chrysler.

Actually found the link side bounced up into the transmission cross member where I found it when putting floor Jack under the vehicle. Crazy.

Attachments

• 20180519_172313.jpg
    20180519_172313.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 27

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Oh man I wish I took pictures today.

So replacement sensors showed up, thought I'd slap the front on and see if it was all good in the Hood.. negative, check the rear that threw code? Find 5th wheel frame bracket pinching wire harness to ride height sensor, fuck.

Call the rv Shop that installed it, drove the mile over there, backed off the bracket. He thinks it's fine, I think the harness is damaged. Fight and fight, front bag still totally flat. Manually move sensors with link detached? Get the compressor to kick on here and there, throwing service and immediate service codes. An hour later, wiring cut and patched up, front all of a sudden engages. Levels out the truck and then BAM! air bag wasn't seated on the perch somehow and blew forward into the shock absorber. Okay what now? Manually move sensor try to deflate that one bag? No dice. Jack it up? Shocks and brake lines Max out before letting off the bag. Call dealership, no way to force protection mode, remove the line to the bag, screw around with sensors and whatnot to get the truck to run down to entry mode with success. Pull fender liner, air line bolts into top of air bag through perch. Back it off enough to release air, get it seated, it just rests on a perch and peg, locater clips and pegs on top. Anyways got it seated and tightened up again, everything works. Sweet. Soldered up wiring, put everything back together, cycled it a few times and everything working properly. Said they'd cover a nitrogen charge, and tried to throw in some service, parts, etc free which I mostly declined, I was fine paying for an 80$ sensor. Walked away with the truck working 2 hours later, got thrown a 65$ septic hose. An agreement to fix some glass in the camper, and the nitrogen recharge for opening the one line. Cool people.

The front bag dumped so far it was actually over stretching the front sensor which is what ripped it in half, almost happened to the new one until I noticed and just removed it. That would've sucked. I swore that the truck was in protection mode and was going to require a dealer reset but i'll be damned if we didn't get it to work, somehow.