• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I give up Plenum Soot ,Long term Ownership

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You just cannot have this much Soot Returning into the intake in the long term Ownership.

I have Now foamed My Intake 4 times and Stationary De-soot and oil Change each time, the 4th time was with Actuator plugged in and it was extremely fifthly. I don't dart drive and work hard at MPG and no soot driving.

I cannot see how this is NOT going to be costly to Most Owners in long and possibly short term Ownership.

As soon as you can afford $$$ and its convenient delete or GDE tune the EGR Off
I just cannot support the OEM OP and emission setup.

I don't know How to say it 40K Miles on My 3.0 and 4 intake/Plenum requiring foaming is FUBAB.

If you get a hero Build form Cento the 3.0 is powerful get's great mileage, In order for it to say that way You must Delete or tune the EGR OFF.

I've seen Intakes with 250K miles on cleaner than my 10K miles intake.

IMO a 3.0 that emits low levels of NOx and gets 5-10 MPG+ better than any Gas engine in its class is much better for the environment, than the additional matter that each Gallon adds to the environment in less MPG.

The future (Hopefully))
Some Makers are Now claiming that the NOx and soot can be controlled Downstream exhaust this is a Big break through if it can be done NO more ( Dirty) EGR prior to mix with intake air.

John

Nov 13, 2015
You just cannot have this much Soot Returning into the intake in the long term Ownership.

I have Now foamed My Intake 4 times and Stationary De-soot and oil Change each time, the 4th time was with Actuator plugged in and it was extremely fifthly. I don't dart drive and work hard at MPG and no soot driving.

I cannot see how this is NOT going to be costly to Most Owners in long and possibly short term Ownership.

I don't know How to say it 40K Miles on My 3.0 and 4 intake/Plenum requiring foaming is FUBAB.

If you get a hero Build form Cento the 3.0 is powerful get's great mileage, In order for it to say that way You must Delete or tune the EGR OFF.

IMO a 3.0 that emits low levels of NOx and gets 5-10 MPG+ better than any Gas engine in its class is much better for the environment, than the additional matter that each Gallon adds to the environment in less MPG.

The future (Hopefully))
Some Makers are Now claiming that the NOx and soot can be controlled Downstream exhaust this is a Big break through if it can be done NO more ( Dirty) EGR prior to mix with intake air.

Hey TC, Nice post and GREAT advice. Glad to see you came over to the other side. Lol

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Well, I admit it took some time but the evaluation is trustworthy.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Well, I admit it took some time but the evaluation is trustworthy.
TC, when you get a moment, I’d like to hear your thoughts on the other aspects of GDEs Hot Tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I've have never tried it, It looks good to Me, I would like it with engine braking.

John

Nov 13, 2015
A lot of people on the other forums like it. I haven't heard any complaints from those who have it.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
A lot of people on the other forums like it. I haven't heard any complaints from those who have it.

There are some who dont like there tuning style im one of them. But they are a great company who are extremely knowledgeable. It’s just different tuning styles and beliefs. Unfortunately oem tuning on any modern diesel is lacking in some way due to epa and idiots sueing them for stupid bullshit.

John

Nov 13, 2015
There are some who dont like there tuning style im one of them. But they are a great company who are extremely knowledgeable. It’s just different tuning styles and beliefs. Unfortunately oem tuning on any modern diesel is lacking in some way due to epa and idiots sueing them for stupid bullshit.
That's why I said a lot of people like it. Doesn't sound like your dislike is exactly a complaint either.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year

The future (Hopefully))

I follow your postings and very much and appreciate your knowledge and experience......this will factor into my decision in realizing EGR must be turned off somehow before is destroys the longevity of engine.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
This is my solution for Now, Capped EGR with 9/32 center hole with actuator unplugged No codes or problems in 1 week driving, You may get the occasional P245B , which can be cleared and has NO operational effect.

You will need to tweak the dis-fuser tube and buy 1/2 longer outlet Bolts.

This truck is running all FCA PCM/TCM current updates.

My guess this creates 60/80% Blockage with No ill effects. ( Until interstate Speeds) on Edit.

I live in MN cold, So I wanted some passage for Hot gases into plenum, My guess is 1/4" center hole would work .

Attachments

• Ecodiesel  Actuator plug 1.jpg
    Ecodiesel Actuator plug 1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Ecodiesel EGR Capped 1.jpg
    Ecodiesel EGR Capped 1.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.0 ED engine (2).jpg
    3.0 ED engine (2).jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The last Week was Mix/Hwy/ City today I took it on the Interstates 70+MPH threw some codes of insufficient EGR and (P245B) Flow and de-rated the power, So I will need to increase the flow and find the max restriction... I pulled the Diffuser tube off and after 1 week of driving 192 Miles mixed it only had a film of soot on the walls that Brake cleaner removed instantly.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The actuator gate you referred to is actually the cooler bypass its allows exhaust gasses to bypass the cooler under certain conditions. It has nothing to due with flow.

Attachments

• D677973E-2551-4EA8-B723-66D67DE4A5B9.jpeg
    D677973E-2551-4EA8-B723-66D67DE4A5B9.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 2498D9E3-5B94-4FC5-8A25-90A6DA99C0EF.jpeg
    2498D9E3-5B94-4FC5-8A25-90A6DA99C0EF.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 36

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It does restrict the flow. But it still Bypasses the Gate. Remove the diffuser unplug it form Device, place hand over outlet at idle check it yourself , ramp RPMs simultaneously you can feel the difference., don't burn your hand in the process wear gloves. Also all the rationale changes with it unplugged or operational.

What I found odd was the rational for all the input sensors and Post and pre exhaust temps.... Unless you have WITECH you cannot view and compare the charts. You would be guessing ,W/O WITECH

When the Post and pre temps get close the system back off the Boost pressure by defueling, with just normal driving it was fine , increase the restriction and the exhaust Temps Skyrocketed, I even had the DPF reading 1180 with Active Regen OFF. and pre inlet turbo 1500F

All said and Done 15/32 Hole to be code free. That's the same size I use on All My Cummins also wired.

All the pressure and heat sensors show about 20-28% restriction depending on load and Boost.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
We'll see in 10K miles what effect this has, it may turn out to be a waste of time.

I had the bypass unplugged for 20K Miles and two cleanings, the soot was less in the plenum. then the other 20K Miles plugged in two cleanings.