• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Good Lord, should I even buy an ED

Brown1983

May 22, 2018
Was just doing research on a possible buy this week. Found a nice limited eco with 40k miles. I’m stepping down from my 3/4 ram with the 6.4 hemi since I have a longer commute. Is there anything good about this truck. Seems like you all hate it...

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
Was just doing research on a possible buy this week. Found a nice limited eco with 40k miles. I’m stepping down from my 3/4 ram with the 6.4 hemi since I have a longer commute. Is there anything good about this truck. Seems like you all hate it...

Very few come to the internet to say “I love my truck” they come on here to complain, or try and find a solution to a problem.

I have a 2015 that I bought used with 19,000 miles, and I now have 32,000 done two oil changes so far, and hands down this is best truck I’ve ever owned.

Do your research on maint to the truck you’re looking at, and don’t be afraid to get it if everything looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rancher5

Apr 4, 2018
Truck Year
I concur, 2018 diesel will be extinct in another 10 or so years mine I get 26mpg with plenty of pep and comfort, price jump to a 2500 + Diesels price jumps easily 10,000 dollars, No it's a great truck, only downfall is Government Regulations making newer diesels more complicated with greater chance of something going wrong.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome @Brown1983 ! The posts above cover this topic pretty well.. all I can say is if you like it, get it. I will admit owning an EcoDiesel without a warranty would trouble me a little bit. But, that's just my opinion.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I would wait until 2019....The New changes in Body and Trim are worth the wait to see what power plant will be in the ED.

Also new info on the EPA/DOJ case are putting the final closure on FCA.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Bought a 2015 brand new, I have about 30000 miles and it has been 100% trouble free. I have pretty mixed driving and towing miles.
I like mine a lot.

Capt Tim

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
I ordered my 14 EcoD in January 14 - received in May 14 and now have 84k practically trouble free miles. Still 100% stock engine but I have 2” front lift and air-lift shocks for towing on rear axle. I’ve got the Dreaded DEF tank gage clog now. Been doing research on this net to attempt distilled water treatment as dealer wants $2k + for new harness and DEF tank.

Attachments

• D7A7ADBE-2E68-45EF-99ED-E3F982C16336.jpeg
    D7A7ADBE-2E68-45EF-99ED-E3F982C16336.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 26

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I bought a 2016 new and love it. No problems and performs as advertised. I've owned trucks for over 60 yrs, mostly 3/4 or 1 ton pickups. This is my second 1/2 ton and it far exceeds the others. I say go for the one you have found but like Scottd says, check it's maintenance record - very important to have been maintained according to factory specs.

If you want to buy new, now is the time. Factory rebates on 2018s are 11,000.00 before any dealer discounts. Super deals out there!

And, if you want it to run better get the GDE tune.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep ,those discounts are Very Attractive? the Question would be WHY? Now if you want one go for it the risk are know pre-ownership.

Pequod

May 26, 2018
Truck Year
I bought a 2016 new and love it. No problems and performs as advertised. I've owned trucks for over 60 yrs, mostly 3/4 or 1 ton pickups. This is my second 1/2 ton and it far exceeds the others. I say go for the one you have found but like Scottd says, check it's maintenance record - very important to have been maintained according to factory specs.

If you want to buy new, now is the time. Factory rebates on 2018s are 11,000.00 before any dealer discounts. Super deals out there!

And, if you want it to run better get the GDE tune.
Where can I find info about the GDE TUNE?

Ofishl1

Oct 10, 2015
Truck Year
Bought a 2015 brand new, I have about 30000 miles and it has been 100% trouble free. I have pretty mixed driving and towing miles.
I like mine a lot.
Same with my 2015 Laramie..traded up to a 2017 Laramie and Bighorn last month...not one prob with the 2015 for 33k...no issues on the 17s...love'em ..great trucks.

Comfortably Numb

Jul 16, 2017
Truck Year
Bought my truck new in 11/2016 and have run the crap out of it. Its ready to hit 97000 trouble free miles. It's been a great truck. You won't find another truck out there that rides like these. If you get one, do go the GDE route, it changes the whole personality of the truck.
Just remember it's only a 3.0 so it's not going to pull like a Cummins going up a hill, you just need to slow down a little and let it do it's thing when you are towing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

71_340

May 27, 2018
Truck Year
I say go for it if you like the truck and it was properly maintained. On top of that the truck is still under the 5/100000 powertrain warranty......so no worries. I just bought a brand-new 17 Laramie 4x4 Eco and the deals are great. Might want to consider a new one.

And like other say, people mostly come to the internet to complain or out of frustration. I am not sure it is representative of any vehicle. Go on a F-150 forum and see how many people have major problems with the 2.7L EB engine, Ford had to replace many heads and long blocks. I am not denying that there might be problems but you also have to be realistic about any forum.

YoAdrian

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
Many good news stories, vast majority probably, but there are enough bad news stories out there to be concerned. Until there are accurate failure rates we all have to go off what is available: anecdotal positive and negative reports online. I was optimistic with the engine as well, until my 2015 Chrysler certified preowned ecodiesel engine bearing shelled out one month after purchase, at 48000 miles. Yes it was maintained to spec (according to the sales rep).

Premature engine bearing failure is a big problem with the 3.0L ecodiesel engine (especially if it was run with the older viscosity oil before they switched). Timing gear/cam problems have been reported online as well. On the brighter side Chrysler knows they have a problem and did not try to pull any fast ones on me... they towed the vehicle, confirmed the bearing failure, gave me a rental, and ordered the engine for install next week. Wish me luck through this process.

After this experience though my trust in the engine is gone. If I could do it all over again I would NOT buy this engine, but rather would wait until a new updated version came out with the lubrication/bearing and timing design faults remedied. If you do buy it, I do not recommend you do it unless you get a powertrain warranty with it. Believe the good stories, believe the bad ones, be informed, make your own decision. Good luck.

7Milesup

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
New member here with a very sour taste in my mouth.

Bought one with 85,xxx or so on it. 5,000 or so miles later got the dreaded service ETC message. Been in the shop a month.

This truck had an immaculate service record right up until I bought it.

71_340

May 27, 2018
Truck Year
Had my truck less then a month now and have almost 4k miles on it. We just returned from a 2400 mile vacation trip from MO to VA and back, truck averaged about 28 MPG (hand calculated, EVIC is barely off) setting the cruise at 72 with plenty of mountains through WV and KY, AC was running for the entire trip. Coolant temp never went above 215, engine oil temp peaked at 220 going up hill. So far it looks like I used a little more then a 1/4 tank of DEF.

I installed the GDE Hot Tune ECM at 350 miles and the truck runs great, nice increase in torque which allows the transmission to stay in 8th gear longer. The exhaust brake works quite well although not as strong as the one I had on my 2500 CTD. Overall I really like the truck and the GDE tune should make it more reliable by eliminating soot in the oil and reducing the chance of fuel dilution by controlling the injectors more efficiently. Next Monday I will have my first oil/filter change (I don't believe in a 10K interval, especially for the initial change).

7Milesup

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
Very interesting 71_340.

I love my truck, but only when it runs. Maybe the EGR delete would be the way to go.

I would like to add that the dealer I am working with has been treating me very well through this mess.

Last edited:

Great White

Jul 28, 2016
Truck Year
I’ve had my 2016 Bighorn 4wd for almost 2 years and have a little under 20000 miles on it. It’s a daily driver and camper puller, I did have an issue with the coolant diverter valve ( I think that’s what it was called) this past winter. Other than that I love it, better mileage towing my 24 ft camper than my 5.0 F150 got empty. I’m a very happy owner

attkrbbt

Nov 21, 2016
Truck Year
2015 ram 1500 eco....11,600 miles. Made metal. New long block installed. If you do go the eco route, make sure you
have a good warranty. Great concept and drives like a dream. But, lack the confidence to drive to far from civilization...