• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2nd oil change

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
Did my first change at 1090 miles. This change was 3895 miles later so just shy of 5000 miles total. Filter is an ecoguard from Amazon, 11 bucks. Oil was rotella t6, put in delo 400 this time. Driving was a good mix of stop and go and highway. Here are the pics of the oil, filter and I went ahead and put a fumoto drain valve on it while I was at it. It doesnt hang down lower than the cross member. I change the oil at operating temperature and it drains within a few mins, half a 5 gallon bucket worth. I refilled the engine cleaned up my tools and fired the truck up. It sounded normal both times I have done this, no weird noises or anything when it started back up.
e8d24563ec452cc29301d35b82d8af60.jpg
e7d85109f99f19127bf2701109197e5b.jpg
e8582c2d82fdb6635c47b38baa35c56c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
Those drain values make it so much easier! The satisfaction of changing your own oil + saving $$$ makes it worth it.
Always done my own. My first new truck I ever bought the service guy said our techs are certified, i said theres still a problem. He said what's that? I said it ain't their truck...

Rob 2018 Laramie

Jul 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
So I just bought my first ecodeisel and it has about 2,500 miles on it. It’s a 2018. I asked dealer about first oil change and they said 10,000. That makes me a little nervous. Seems like the first change should be soon. Maybe second change can go to recommended. I just feel like any crap from original assembly and initial metal wear should be flushed ASAP. Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
So I just bought my first ecodeisel and it has about 2,500 miles on it. It’s a 2018. I asked dealer about first oil change and they said 10,000. That makes me a little nervous. Seems like the first change should be soon. Maybe second change can go to recommended. I just feel like any crap from original assembly and initial metal wear should be flushed ASAP. Any opinions?

That's why I did my first at 1100 but I was also going on a 1200 mile trip at that point so I just did it. If it was my truck I would go ahead and change it. The oil change on this truck is only about 15 bucks more than it was on my 5.3 sierra so I will probably change the oil in the ram at around 4k every time.

212fea9b1a62bdbe92fb6f29e3b7bbdb.jpg

Michael Rivera

Apr 29, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have a 2018 Ecodiesel and just did mine with 5830 miles. I couldn't wait any longer. I can't wrap my head around the fact that with all the crap that is entering our engines, plus any extra crap that is in the engine since it's birth at the factory, they recommend 10,000 miles. But hey, they are the experts.

Bought Mopar oil filter, 10.5 quarrs of T6 Rotella and mopar gas filter. Yes I changed my gas filter also, though I know I didn't have to.

Primed the fuel, checked for any leaks all around and everything is good to go. Oil pressure is good, car is running smooth.

Besides doing your own oil changes....do you guys take it to the dealership for any additional maintenance you don't want to do yourselves? Tire rotation, differential oil change, etc. ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rob 2018 Laramie

Jul 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I normally don’t go to the dealer for anything. I drove all the way to Wisconsin to buy my truck and I live in Michigan so dealership oil change isn’t practical lol. I rotate my tires myself at every oil change. My ecodeisel only has about 5,000 miles on it so I have not done anything yet. I did just order a filter for oil and fuel so I will be doing both soon. Where are you guys getting filters? I paid about $35.00 for a Mopar oil filter on Amazon. Never checked the dealer.

Michael Rivera

Apr 29, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Amazon is the cheapest I have seen. The damn dealer wanted like $71. Unreal....lol

Rob 2018 Laramie

Jul 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
$71.00 for an oil filter what the? What’s it cost to take an ecodeisel to an oil change place? Or do they even have a filter?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Rob 2018 Laramie

Jul 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I bought 2 “Mopar” filters on Amazon. When I received them they were in Mopar boxes but had made in China sticker stuck on the box. Are Mopar filters made in China or did I get screwed at $35.00 bucks each. I saw cheaper filters but didn’t want to chance it.

Michael Rivera

Apr 29, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Lol.....I don't know. I live in NJ, so every damn thing is expensive. Why I decided to do my own maintenance. Always went to dealerships but got tired of getting ripped off or possibly getting poor quality maintenance. It's my baby, not the Tech's. Only warranty work will be given to the dealership.
$71.00 for an oil filter what the? What’s it cost to take an ecodeisel to an oil change place? Or do they even have a filter?

Phil Taylor

Aug 16, 2018
Truck Year
Just got oil and filter changed for my 2015 Ecodiesel at a local oil and lube place here in central Texas. They said it called for Mobil 1 synthetic and had the filter in stock. Out the door for$125 and change. Dealer wanted $200. My brother was in the automotive repair business for 30 plus years. He told me that dealer parts many times are manufactured in China. The only advantage in using the dealer is that they have to stand behind their products regardless where they’re made.

NCEcoDiesel

Jul 27, 2019
Truck Year
Dang. Feeling real good about my dealer giving my oil (Rotella T6) and filter for $79. At that price they can change my oil every time!

2017 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
6100 miles.

Stan517

Jul 27, 2019
Truck Year
What about weights of oil, benefit of 5w40 vs 5w30? Also looking at 2-5 liters of Pentosin oil, 10 liters equals 10.5 quarts.