• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Upgrade or Compound Turbo price

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
so i put together my ultimate wishlist for this truck to turn it into a little speed demon diesel, totaling right around 14,000$ haha. sad part is, 9,000$ of that, would be for the 3800$ GDE upgraded turbo, and the 4800$ H&S Compound Turbo kit.

my question is, why is it so expensive for these turbos, when for example, turbos for the big boy trucks are a third of the price? is it based on availabilty and R&D etc?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Not much of a market it seems for big power EcoDiesels. The big 3 (Dmax, Powerstroke, Cummins) have a lot bigger market share and folks are into big power. With that said, I'm not sure how reliable the ecodiesel can be with big power?

Before I would spend $14K on a set of turbos, I would buy a different platform.. but that's just me! :D

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
This is a valid point to consider for sure. I guess a simple tune and delete should suffice until either prices came down if at all, or maybe more people start to make more things if the engine sticks around for a while hopefully

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
There is absolutely no reason to add the gde turbo upgrade with a compound setup. It wont gain anything unless you have a built engine and completely custom fuel system.

H&S compound turbo setup $4300
Tuning of your choice $700 and up
Offroad exhaust $210 and up
Aftermarket intercooler and piping $900 and up.
Transmission tuning $650-$900
All done carefully you could be around 450 wrhp and 700 ft lbs of torque. But the best part is it can all be in your garage without a lift.

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
There is absolutely no reason to add the gde turbo upgrade with a compound setup. It wont gain anything unless you have a built engine and completely custom fuel system.

All done carefully you could be around 450 wrhp and 700 ft lbs of torque. But the best part is it can all be in your garage without a lift.

Okay, I guess that’s something I should’ve asked too. I just assumed that upgrading the stock turbo as well would be beneficial but probably is just throwing money at something for minimal gains. The H&S set up is still in the back of my mind on my list, but will probably be the last thing I end up doing due to the cost. Thanks for your input!

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
so i put together my ultimate wishlist for this truck to turn it into a little speed demon diesel, totaling right around 14,000$ haha. sad part is, 9,000$ of that, would be for the 3800$ GDE upgraded turbo, and the 4800$ H&S Compound Turbo kit.

my question is, why is it so expensive for these turbos, when for example, turbos for the big boy trucks are a third of the price? is it based on availabilty and R&D etc?

What you want to do has not been done before. The stock turbo with added second turbo is at 450hp, 700ftlb. If you add in the Green Diesel single turbo with the compound, it should be able to reach 500 hp on stock fuel system...for a while. It is a big investment and would recommend starting with just a tune to test the waters.

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
What you want to do has not been done before. The stock turbo with added second turbo is at 450hp, 700ftlb. If you add in the Green Diesel single turbo with the compound, it should be able to reach 500 hp on stock fuel system...for a while. It is a big investment and would recommend starting with just a tune to test the waters.
Thank you very much for your input! Never thought about the need to also upgrade the fuel system with all that added power in this dream ‍:whistle: But yes, I will be starting with a tune first and foremost

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
Theres too many failures on stock engines imo, no chance of it holding together with stock internals.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RacerX317

Dec 27, 2018
Truck Year
Thank you very much for your input! Never thought about the need to also upgrade the fuel system with all that added power in this dream ‍:whistle: But yes, I will be starting with a tune first and foremost

Any luck with all this yet by chance? I’m interested in doing something similar.

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
All I’ve done so far is GDE Tune and exhaust delete. Hoping and praying the h&r add a turbo kit comes down in price some more

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
Which exhaust did you go with and are you happy with it so far?
3” flo pro stainless, matched up with a stainless MBRP filter back single side exit. Love it. Sounds like a mini cummins almost

SofaKingTuned

Dec 31, 2018
Truck Year

Transmission tune, $350 total!
Facebook.com/sofakingtuned

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Skippnasty

Aug 24, 2019
Truck Year

Sofa king will do a lot cheaper on trans tune and engine tune, lot better price then others..

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
Welcome back to this thread a couple years later everyone! Trucks just been paid off and I remembered that was when I was gonna start seriously considering the compound turbo kit.

now the H&S turbo kit price is 3200$, so a 1100$ drop in price is definitely the right direction. My mechanic said the current price is about normal for all the stuff.

I have two mainly curious questions, which I can always get one answered by calling GDE. Would their tune be okay to run with a compound kit? Or am I “losing/missing out” because it’s not as much HP gains like SFT or PPEI?

second question is the kit doesn’t come with an aftermarket intercooler I don’t think. Would one be necessary? Or just highly recommend

any input greatly appreciated