• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Banks Derringer

Greenkaiser

Aug 18, 2018
Truck Year
I’m thinking about installing the Banks Derringer in my ‘17 ED with 9,500 miles on it. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I wonder about a Derringer added to a GDE tuned truck. OK? Results? Consequences?
Guess GDE would say, "don't do it".
Guess Banks would say, "no problem".

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I wonder about a Derringer added to a GDE tuned truck. OK? Results? Consequences?
Guess GDE would say, "don't do it".
Guess Banks would say, "no problem".

"Stacking" tuners really isn't needed anymore and is old school.. GDE (or any custom tune for that matter) can get just as much out of the truck as two devices put together.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
BoostN,

I agree regards stacking. So does Banks who says:
The idea of stacking in-line tuners is foiled by the EcoDiesel ECU. It limits EGT to 1500F. We manipulate that with the afterburner and get all there is to be had. Stacking anything on top of this, as long as you're running the stock turbo, is a fools errand. And, a waste of your money.

I'm a bit confused with or why your comment, "GDE (or any custom tune for that matter) can get just as much out of the truck as two devices put together."
GDE's tune reprograms the ECU and gets max about 28 more hp measured at the rear wheels. 220hp stock, 248hp GDE tuned.
Banks is an "add-on" unit and claims a 40hp increase. Banks doesn't say where it's measured.
Maybe GDE "CAN" get just as much out of the truck as two devices put together but they don't. Their tune is not hp focused, it is performance and longevity focused whereas the Banks unit is totally hp focused and seemingly has no other benefits.
I don't know what the Ecodiesel useable hp limit is when running the stock turbo but I have a hunch Banks has reached it.

I'm not advocating stacking the tunes, my curiosity is what happens, if anything, if one does so using GDE & Banks.

Still learning Cheers (y)

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
BoostN,

I agree regards stacking. So does Banks who says:
The idea of stacking in-line tuners is foiled by the EcoDiesel ECU. It limits EGT to 1500F. We manipulate that with the afterburner and get all there is to be had. Stacking anything on top of this, as long as you're running the stock turbo, is a fools errand. And, a waste of your money.

I'm a bit confused with or why your comment, "GDE (or any custom tune for that matter) can get just as much out of the truck as two devices put together."
GDE's tune reprograms the ECU and gets max about 28 more hp measured at the rear wheels. 220hp stock, 248hp GDE tuned.
Banks is an "add-on" unit and claims a 40hp increase. Banks doesn't say where it's measured.
Maybe GDE "CAN" get just as much out of the truck as two devices put together but they don't. Their tune is not hp focused, it is performance and longevity focused whereas the Banks unit is totally hp focused and seemingly has no other benefits.
I don't know what the Ecodiesel useable hp limit is when running the stock turbo but I have a hunch Banks has reached it.

I'm not advocating stacking the tunes, my curiosity is what happens, if anything, if one does so using GDE & Banks.

Still learning Cheers (y)
At that rate, why not get the PPEI tune for 60hp increase?