• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone had their ecodiesel catch on fire

polecat

Feb 11, 2016
Truck Year
My 2015 Laramie ECO blew an injector , while Tech was road testing after repair catching fire . Took FCA 45 days to send investigator . Love the truck but because of their customer service and attitude will never own another . Also cost them sales of 2 vehicles .

Jul 31, 2017
Truck Year
Already started another post, but we had a very similar situation with our 2016. It was a 4x4 though. Truck is a total loss, they do burn fast!

Ecodieselfire

Aug 2, 2017
Truck Year
Alright so I just joined the forum with the intent of finding others who have had this issue because we just had a very similar situation with our 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel Turbo 4x4 with around 25,000 miles. We filled the tank up as normal and lost power a few miles down the road. After the dealership service department took a look at it, we were told it was due to bad diesel and we were going to have to replace all of the injectors. Originally they said they wouldn't cover it under warranty because it was due to bad diesel. We went down and spoke to the tech to get proof that we could take it up with the gas station that we filled up with, at which time the tech told us that 'most diesels will burn right through this but the ecodiesel is super finicky so it fried the injectors.' Our issue then of course is how do we know that we are filling up with good diesel that won't cause that to happen again. They 'fixed the issue' and ended up covering it all under warranty to our surprise at first. (Most likely because they knew it wasn't something we could have avoided ultimately). As we drove away from the service department, the engine went into reduced power and the check engine light came on. The injectors that had just been replaced were leaking and we were told that the torque wasn't done properly. The Second time we went to pick it up, it seemed to work fine for a week, then as we were driving down the freeway pulling our trailor full of dirt bikes, the truck went into reduced power and check engine light came on again. At the same time, a car passing us waved us over because they saw flames coming out from under our truck. We obviously pulled over and got out of the car, popped the hood and 5 minutes later the whole truck was engulfed. We could hear the injectors popping. Thank god for insurance as well as gap insurance. I was curious if anyone else has had their diesel catch fire hence I found this forum. We know exactly what the issue was with the truck and still can't fight it because we are being told that because no one was hurt in the incident there's nothing to fight. Our insurance company is going after Chrysler for reimbursement but seriously can't believe that there's nothing else we can do. Holy crap the whole thing was straight out of GTA

File_005.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecodieselfire

Aug 2, 2017
Truck Year
Is that one of Duck Dynasty guys at the bottom of the picture? :D

What's up with all of these EcoDiesel's catching on fire lately? Maybe I shouldn't park it in the garage. :eek:

LOL that would be one of our musically inclined BOYZZZ... :cool:

Jul 31, 2017
Truck Year
If you figure out something you can do "ecodieselfire" let me know. I'm kinda in the same boat. I guess our insurance co. is going to have a investigation in a week or so. Sorry can't get over it, had to post my pic again.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 54

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
If you figure out something you can do "ecodieselfire" let me know. I'm kinda in the same boat. I guess our insurance co. is going to have a investigation in a week or so. Sorry can't get over it, had to post my pic again.

Looks like you were headed to take the trash off? At least that got taken care of..

Ecodieselfire

Aug 2, 2017
Truck Year
Will do. I'll keep you posted. Message me with some contact info and I'll let you know.

Jul 31, 2017
Truck Year
10-4, saved a $17 dollar tipping fee......Not sure it was worth it. Funny too, they will end up towing it 180 miles for some trash. (Truck and contents)

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
First order of business EcoDieselFire is to say - sorry for your luck guy. I hope you get everything sorted out. If I were in your position, I would try to contact the guy who's videos I posted originally of his truck spontaneously catching fire in the middle of the night. He responded to my questions on YT, so he's likely receptive to hearing from others who've had the same experience. If enough people who've experienced this start communicating, it will be impossible for FCA to say it's a fluke and "not their problem". I almost feel like you were just on the cusp of whatever causes the fires during the first issue with the lost power, but made it to the dealer in time to avoid it. I really wonder if the injectors had anything to do with it at all, or if there's another electrical gremlin somewhere that's the culprit. Surely FCA is gathering enough data from these incidents that they can piece it together. Best of luck to you!

I traded my Eco off at the end of May for a new Hemi LongHorn, not because of any problems, just other life situations that made it easier to trade both of my trucks in at the same time. I enjoyed my time with the Eco. I also have to say this is one of my favorite forums. BoostN does a great job and everyone here treated me well.

G.Mech

Mar 31, 2016
Truck Year
My 2015 Laramie 4x4 burnt to the ground yesterday too. Was towing my boat along without a care, engine lost power and she went up in flames. It was definitely a fuel or oil issue because I got the hood open and everything was covered in flaming liquid. Wasted 2 fire extinguisher but she's gone. Never had a moment trouble until this.....this is a problem. 130,000km.

IMG_20180707_2102510 - Copy.jpg truck ablaze.jpg

Last edited:

G.Mech

Mar 31, 2016
Truck Year
Ouch!! Glad you got the boat unhooked. I'm sure it was an intense situation getting that boat unhooked while the trucks on fire?

Ya thanks. That was a huge bonus for sure especially since the cooler was in the boat! I was lucky I had the keys for the hitch padlock handy or I would have lost the boat too. I bailed out in a hurry and my wallet with all my ID, my passport and Nexus card were all in the console. After the fire was out, I chopped them out of the molten plastic with a crowbar and got all but two credit cards back in decent shape! That was bonus #2. Off to the GMC dealer in the morning to get a truck.

James E Andreasen

May 30, 2018
Truck Year
Would like to know if anyone has had their ecodiesel catch on fire. We had a 2015 ecodiesel
until last Friday when the engine bay caught on fire. Last September we had the fuel system replaced.

On Friday I was pulling our tt when I noticed smoke between the truck and the tt. I thought it was from an 18 wheeler as it was blowing black exhaust. I came up to the exit on I20 when the check engine light came on. I pulled into a vacant parking lot when the battery low volts light came on then followed by the other indicators came on. I turned the engine off and pulled the hood latch, went to pull hood up and there was more smoke so I walked away without opening hood. I saw a flame between drivers front tyre and fender.

The truck has been written off. Chrysler is sending out an inspector to look at the truck. The inspector said the truck should not have caught on fire. Anyone had this issue?

Mine caught fire while pulling a TT also but we put it out before it burned to the ground thanks to the fire extinguisher in the TT. I now know what caused the fire even though F/C indicated "We were unable to determine the cause therefore we are not at fault." Here is what caused the fire... my ecodiesel was running awesome getting close to 30 mpg on short country driving trips at 55 to 65 mph. I have learned that driving at those speeds does not heat up the exhaust enough to trigger a regen of the exhaust filter. I hooked up my TT and hit the interstate for a trip. As soon as I reached 65 mph the engine tried to regen a clogged exhaust filter that was likely over the 60% that is supposed to trigger a regen. Here is another interesting thing I have determined. When the engine lost power I thought I saw a yellow flame light just below the digital display. There is definitely a yellow flame warning indicator and why F/C would put it there would be a good question for a class action against what is obviously a programming defect in the ecodiesel program. After my engine lost power and I was still coasting before pulling over, the digital display said "Please place the vehicle in park and restart the engine.". What idiot programmer could not check the mph before saying to "place the vehicle in park"? My 2015 ecodiesel has turned out to be everything I would expect from our current generation of engineers and programmers. Way to go F/C, you should be very proud... NOT!

John

Nov 13, 2015
Mine caught fire while pulling a TT also but we put it out before it burned to the ground thanks to the fire extinguisher in the TT. I now know what caused the fire even though F/C indicated "We were unable to determine the cause therefore we are not at fault." Here is what caused the fire... my ecodiesel was running awesome getting close to 30 mpg on short country driving trips at 55 to 65 mph. I have learned that driving at those speeds does not heat up the exhaust enough to trigger a regen of the exhaust filter. I hooked up my TT and hit the interstate for a trip. As soon as I reached 65 mph the engine tried to regen a clogged exhaust filter that was likely over the 60% that is supposed to trigger a regen. Here is another interesting thing I have determined. When the engine lost power I thought I saw a yellow flame light just below the digital display. There is definitely a yellow flame warning indicator and why F/C would put it there would be a good question for a class action against what is obviously a programming defect in the ecodiesel program. After my engine lost power and I was still coasting before pulling over, the digital display said "Please place the vehicle in park and restart the engine.". What idiot programmer could not check the mph before saying to "place the vehicle in park"? My 2015 ecodiesel has turned out to be everything I would expect from our current generation of engineers and programmers. Way to go F/C, you should be very proud... NOT!

Sorry to hear about the fire.
FYI,Unlikely a regen had anything to do with the fire. Your truck will regen every 70-160 miles and it will occur at 1500 RPM's or above. 55 to 65 mph is the ideal speed for regens to complete. If the DPF reaches 80% you will get a warning on the EVIC. If the DPF reaches 90% you will get another warning on the EVIC, If the DPF reaches 100% your truck will go into limp mode until you visit the dealer and they force a regen.

A clogged DPF will not regen without the dealer using the WiTech tool to force the regen.

What exactly caught fire on your truck?

Alexandr Got

Oct 22, 2018
Truck Year
2014 ecodiesel with 70k lost power and start smoking under hood. Burnt wiring harness . Did anyone repair a burnt truck ? What can couse a fire?

Toastedecodiesel

Dec 24, 2018
Truck Year
Mine went up tonight. Driving 65mph on the highway the service electronic throttle came on. Engine light came in. Still maintained 65 till it started flashing all types of warnings on the display. Rpms dropped to 0 but truck was still running on power. I jumped off the highway to a parking lot right there. When I stopped the truck filled with smoke. I hopped out to see it on fire. Turned off the truck and got some distance. It went up like an inferno after the video. My phone dies 4 seconds in. Insurance is conducting an investigation to determine cause.

Attachments

• D15EE884-648D-44A3-980A-8D41C4A4457C.jpeg
    D15EE884-648D-44A3-980A-8D41C4A4457C.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 45