• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Dodge ram 1500 ecodiesel loosing coolant

Dennis Keith

Dec 2, 2018
Truck Year
Hey Dennis,

Any news about your truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Took it to the dealer they did a pressure check it lost 2 lbs in 2 hours they found a leak in the 3 way valve .And of course not under warranty cost 280 for the part 220 for labor .Its a step he said he would check the egr when the fix the valve .if its the egr cooler it is under warranty according to the dealer so we shall see .truck has a rough idol every now and then so we shall see

Dennis Keith

Dec 2, 2018
Truck Year
Took my truck in to get the bypass coolant valve fix they pulled the EGR and the cooler is leaking lucky me its under warranty or it would of cost me $2,200.00 to fix .Part will be here tomorrow hopefully this does the trick

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
Took my truck in to get the bypass coolant valve fix they pulled the EGR and the cooler is leaking lucky me its under warranty or it would of cost me $2,200.00 to fix .Part will be here tomorrow hopefully this does the trick

Good news. Now you will have a brand new egr cooler. That could fetch a pretty penny on the black market if you decide to delete it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitey

Dec 25, 2018
Truck Year
I had to remove the intake manifold to fix the leaking coolant tubs under the manifold
The hole cavity under the manifold filled up with coolant and leaked down my transmission
Everything for the coolant has rubber o rings they get brittle and leak even the water pump lines

1876-53f52336ff8483f2b0589ccce642f747.jpg

Attachments

• 20181224_145401.jpg
    20181224_145401.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 45

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Whitey, thanks for the picture, What your plan of attack to fix?

whitey

Dec 25, 2018
Truck Year
I have 155000 KM no warranty
Before we tackled the intake, the 3 way valve heated up a seized, then the sensor on the thermostat had to be replaced too.
We are replacing every seal that holds coolant
Rubber seals can't handle the heat

My intake manifold was plugged up with carbon and oil from the EGR
EGR was leaking also
Purchased an EGR Delete kit

whitey

Dec 25, 2018
Truck Year
I have also purchased a standard Oil Cooler Kit from D and J Diesel
Hopefully this will help keeping the engine cooler in the summer, it will help with heating up the engine in the winter with the directional valve in the system

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have also purchased a standard Oil Cooler Kit from D and J Diesel
Hopefully this will help keeping the engine cooler in the summer, it will help with heating up the engine in the winter with the directional valve in the system

It will have no effect in DD use.

whitey

Dec 25, 2018
Truck Year
Well so far the truck is running great; no engine light coming on, or no more leaking anything from the truck now. When warming up the truck now in Canadian winter; oil temp. & coolant temp. is one for one; the same for warming up. Which means it warms up quicker with the oil cooler kit.
EGR delete kit also helps with the performance, reaction time too.
I'm very happy so far

Hotch46

Mar 1, 2019
Truck Year
I know this has been discussed but here is my dilemma
1 pressure check was great
2 found a little coolant coming from overflow changed cap
3 No leak found anywhere
No overheating or codes
Oil temp 206
Coolant temp 203 to 206
Still losing coolant .
Please help

I have a 2016 Eco Diesel that is 36,000 miles. It has run great with good mileage. I felt it was loosing coolant from day 1. Never visible any where. No odor of coolant, just needed topping more than I thought I should have to. Started to get a loud hum off the cooling fan. I was not sure if it was kicking into a higher speed or just humming loudly for some reason. I noticed coolant reservoir was much lower than usual in a very short period of time. Dealer said EGR and water pump where both leaking. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

PM57

Mar 10, 2019
Truck Year
I have had my truck in to the dealer twice for coolant leaks.
It started by having no heat, checked the coolant level and it was low, engine temp was fine. Put in a gallon to bring it back close to the correct level. It would ues a gallon in about 1,200 miles. No puddle on the garage floor, if you let it idle in the driveway for an extended period, no puddle under the truck.
First time they replaces a control valve they called a coolant control valve, $800 out of my pocket.
Second time they replaced the water pump, they warranted that repair.
It is still losing coolant, but at a lesser rate, I have put in a gallon over about 3,000 miles.

This info about the EGR leak is interesting.