• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone able to help with fuel contamination?

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
If you read my previous post you'll see my repair bill was $6,500 which seems insane. During my discussion with the insurance adjuster he explained mine was actually pretty cheap. When they replace the engine etc he claimed they'd be $12k or so. I wouldn't think the engine would need replace except if there was something very unique that occured. If a person has the time and the how to, I'd try emptying the tank, bleeding the lines and changing the filter.
The dealership strongly recommends replacing the filter now with each oil change. That makes it almost $300 for an oil change! I've been very pleased with the vehicle except for this one issue, but it's been BIG!
I do my own oil changes. $44 for Rotella T6 at Walmart, and $16 for a Wix Filter at O Rylies after they price match Autozone.

Total $60

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
Where was the fuel sample from your truck pulled?
Was it from the filter drain?
When you got the Water in fuel did you drain your filter?

pull-do

Dec 5, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just purchased a 18 eco,,, and have been doing research on extra filtration for this truck. I've had two 2500 cummins in the past, a '01 and a '07 5.9. I put extra filtration on both the trucks and a water separator,,, with the extra filter being a 2 micron, which is what Bosch said is necessary. I guess there's not enough of these motors on the road to have a aftermarket kit available, of course I just started looking.

pull-do

Dec 5, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I agree, this is not your fault. If anything else, can you turn this in on insurance?

What kind of insurance are you talking about that would cover this, your truck policy? What state are you in, if you don't mind?

pull-do

Dec 5, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
My Comp Coverage Covered it less the deductible. Oklahoma

That's pretty amazing they'd cover that, but good to know,, that's always been my biggest fear even with my past cummins trucks. It's really hard to imagine a "owner" doing the wrong thing with the fuel that goes into the trucks. That's one reason I always had extra filtration on my past diesels. Does anybody know what Bosch specifies for filtration as far as micron rating,, I know on my 07' cummins they wanted a 2 micron rating and the Dodge oem filter was a 5 micron if I remember right. Go figure.

I never understood that one, but my extra Cat filter I put on was a 2 micron,,, man I wish I'd never sold that truck.

I'm south of you neighbor,,,, Tejas,,,,,,

Kyle S Hale

Jun 22, 2018
Truck Year
That's pretty amazing they'd cover that, but good to know,, that's always been my biggest fear even with my past cummins trucks. It's really hard to imagine a "owner" doing the wrong thing with the fuel that goes into the trucks. That's one reason I always had extra filtration on my past diesels. Does anybody know what Bosch specifies for filtration as far as micron rating,, I know on my 07' cummins they wanted a 2 micron rating and the Dodge oem filter was a 5 micron if I remember right. Go figure.

I never understood that one, but my extra Cat filter I put on was a 2 micron,,, man I wish I'd never sold that truck.

Hello neighbor, I hated the thought of making an insurance claim and spoke to our agent before going that route. Initially, I was applaud that was the first thing out of the dealers mouth. I took extra steps such as, having the Corp. Commision pull a sample from the gas station and sending of a separate sample to a third party lab. I was hoping the insurance would investigate it further, but they evidently didn't have much interest. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

Kyle S Hale

Jun 22, 2018
Truck Year

Also, TC Diesel on here was very helpful and informative. Even took the time to call me and explain a lot of things. He can most likely help you with any of your filtration needs.

DrummerJon

Jan 22, 2019
Truck Year
I'm going through a similar situation. 2017 with 13,000 km. Low oil pressure came across the dash and shut down. This has happened 3 times since Jan 2 2019. All 3 times had it towed to dealer. First time they couldnt pull any codes. Second time...they replaced the motor! Lol. They found metal particulates in the oil.
Day after I picked it up from having the motor replaced...low oil pressure and shuts off.
Now, like everyone elses story, theyre crying bad fuel. All they're doing is dropping the tank to clean and replace filter. 600 bucks. I have questions for them tomorrow, like why the wif indicator light didnt come on and why the hell has the low oil pressure light come on 3 times and shut me down. Super frustrated.

pull-do

Dec 5, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Keep us informed, did you replace the fuel in the tank between motor exchanges?

DrummerJon

Jan 22, 2019
Truck Year
No. But it was replaced between the first and second time of low oil pressure reading.

DrummerJon

Jan 22, 2019
Truck Year
Dropped off rental truck. Went to the dealership to pick it up...
Truck wouldnt start. I finally saw red through this whole fiasco. So I'm back in a rental for the 3rd time in 2+ weeks.

Opened a case with FCA. I've had enough.

pull-do

Dec 5, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Don't blame you one bit,, I'd be furious, especially when you do everything right, cross all "t's" and dot all "i's".