• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"Service Electronic Throttle Control"

Gnab2

Sep 23, 2015
Truck Year
Ok guys I feel like a dumbass. I got the Service ETC error on my 2015 ED 4x4 Lonestar. Well so it was the air filter. Reset the code, changed the filter and paid $171, and all is good. Will keep you posted if it comes back.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Ok guys I feel like a dumbass. I got the Service ETC error on my 2015 ED 4x4 Lonestar. Well so it was the air filter. Reset the code, changed the filter and paid $171, and all is good. Will keep you posted if it comes back.

Welcome Gnab2.. it seems like that code goes off if anything happens lol.

Glad your fix was easy! (hopefully that was the fix)

Dcullen

Sep 22, 2016
Truck Year
I got an ETC service at 38,500 in central texas without freezing temps.

1st Ram

Feb 6, 2018
Truck Year
After going back and forth with customer care escalation, I go in Monday for a cold front and block heater plug. They are “goodwilling” it. I have to pay up front and they are going to cut a check back. Thing is I don’t I don’t think it’s going to be cold enough any more to see it it makes any difference.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
After going back and forth with customer care escalation, I go in Monday for a cold front and block heater plug. They are “goodwilling” it. I have to pay up front and they are going to cut a check back. Thing is I don’t I don’t think it’s going to be cold enough any more to see it it makes any difference.

Glad they're taking care of it for you!

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
What are you using for a scanner to reset?
Dave131211 sorry for the delay been busy away from PC. I believe you have received many correct answers already, but I use several, the one I ended up with in the truck was a Cen-Tech, under $200, it actually did more than my Launch CRP, the Launch ended up in my wife's 2015 Jeep GC w/ED, in my shop I have access to the Snap On Modus and Verus, we traded the Solus back in. Of course we can not get to the root programing like a dealer or licensed tech using Mopars WiTech system. Most auto parts stores will carry a line of usable and moderately capable scanners but quickly escalate into the thousands of dollars and are not probably where you want to head.
Other OBD II scanners that are usable and not too fancy or expensive, are INNOVA they have a couple starting at around $100.00, Craftsman even has a couple starting around $400.00. Also many people use the CTS line of products which all include a OBD II scan capability. My son-in-law had a Ford with CTS Edge and it had a code reader in the programming as well as live data stream. There are a multitude of products on the market, you should be comfortable with the one you get, not too much tech or not too little. Some only read the Code and can clear, some will give live data, engine running, some may not read diesel parameters, so you need to research which ever product you decide to purchase.
Good Luck with your truck.

Dieseldon

Mar 9, 2018
Truck Year
47k miles

Exhaust filter was full so I was driving to hit the highway I've done plenty of exhaust regenerations in the past & thought nothing of it. I’m up in Syracuse,NY very cold but I always plug in the block heater at night. As I was approaching the highway the truck went into limo mode 45mph @4k rpm. Throttle symbol started flashing on dash and CE light came on so I linked to the dealer. Dropped the truck off and well see what they have to say. Love my eco diesel but this raised an eye brow for me. Did some ready and it seems to be a different issue every time. Has anybody else had this issue in the past?

Dieseldon

Mar 9, 2018
Truck Year
47k miles

Exhaust filter was full so I was driving to hit the highway I've done plenty of exhaust regenerations in the past & thought nothing of it. I’m up in Syracuse,NY very cold but I always plug in the block heater at night. As I was approaching the highway the truck went into limo mode 45mph @4k rpm. Throttle symbol started flashing on dash and CE light came on so I linked to the dealer. Dropped the truck off and well see what they have to say. Love my eco diesel but this raised an eye brow for me. Did some ready and it seems to be a different issue every time. Has anybody else had this issue in the past?
***LIMP

Fuelkid

Mar 31, 2018
Truck Year
Had my 2017 plugged in all night with -20 weather and ETC code comes up. 1200kms and only 2 weeks old . Bought the 5 year 120,000 extended warranty but maybe I should get longer

Dieseldon

Mar 9, 2018
Truck Year
Update:

Dealer said it needed to be put into a manual regen mode. No cost for fix, still a little weary about the future.

Sean Hamilton

Mar 25, 2019
Truck Year
Where is the electronic throttle control located on a 2015 ram eco diesel 1500? Also what is it? Just popped up on my dash display.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Whenever I read these articles that say: "I just bought a used Eco diesel and after 50 miles it is doing X, Y and Z"

I always think, I bet the last person traded it in for the same reason! One thing is for sure, the dealers don't do much more than a quick detail on these trucks and push them out on the lot.

1st Ram

Feb 6, 2018
Truck Year
Not sure if you found your issue yet. Service Electronic Throttle Control was the comment that came up anytime mine went into limp mode. I believe it should say "Service, Electronic Throttle Control" Basically it is telling you the computer is over riding your foot control to keep the vehicle or engine from doing further damage.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Where is the electronic throttle control located on a 2015 ram eco diesel 1500? Also what is it? Just popped up on my dash display.
This message is a warning that the ECU has put itself in Limp Mode, depower, limited RPM, and STOPPED REGENERATION. There are about 80 or so conditions that can trip this code condition. So there is real location, although the reference is to the "fly by wire" throttle system.The most important thing is DO NOT CONTINUE to DRIVE the vehicle, even if the dealer tells you it is OK. The top of the list of casual factors are fuel injectors and Turbo under performance. Most Dealer mechanics have no idea how to test injectors or understand variable vane turbos so they start throwing parts at the issue. This often results in many months waiting for Back Ordered parts and code returning rapidly after repair. I cannot pin down what actually causes the code but can say it is an exhausting process as you must test and verify each causal issue. My truck has experienced this code several times during the first year of ownership and thankfully it has only been errant sensors, bad readings, or loose connections. It seemed that after the last update about a year ago that I have not experienced this code again. I presently have 92K miles on my truck and just started pulling a 5K lb. Travel Trailer Toy Hauler, with a trip to Montana in the near future. Installing Oil cooler tomorrow.

Bryanc81

May 4, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2015 Ecodiesel and the ETC light has come on three times in the past 30k miles. I have been told many different things and have paid a lot of money to fix this problem. Pretty much nothing has worked. Last week I picked up my truck. The dealer told me I had to wait on a recall. I received a phone call this morning stating they had a recall and a fix. We will see what happens. I am not confident they have a fix. If they can’t figure it out in 4/5 years. I’m not sure they will!!

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Yet I will fix it in an hours time! And I will do it for free! Well, no I won't - you will, but you get the point.

So clean your EGR tube and MAP sensor and you wont get any more ETC errors. Everyone who does this says it works, and your mileage will go way up. Watch the video below.

Second, please get a GDE or Sofaking tune so you never have this problem again. I bet the dealer put the V08 recall software on your truck. So don't forget to keep that receipt and file for your money at www.ecodieselsettlement.com. Unless you are Canadian - you get nuthin. That's Trudeau's fault.

Bryanc81

May 4, 2019
Truck Year
Yet I will fix it in an hours time! And I will do it for free! Well, no I won't - you will, but you get the point.

So clean your EGR tube and MAP sensor and you wont get any more ETC errors. Everyone who does this says it works, and your mileage will go way up. Watch the video below.

Second, please get a GDE or Sofaking tune so you never have this problem again. I bet the dealer put the V08 recall software on your truck. So don't forget to keep that receipt and file for your money at www.ecodieselsettlement.com. Unless you are Canadian - you get nuthin. That's Trudeau's fault.

Lol. Yeah. They always have a fix. I would love to get a GDE tune. But I’m in CA and they won’t sell to me. Thanks for the update. I will try that when I get the truck back.