• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel OBD II Flashing now available.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
What I have is the PPEI. It's their handheld version so I don't have to ship them the ECM.
I'm heavily leaning towards getting the GDE Transmission flash too. Just want to get some miles in the PPEI so I can compare performance and MPGs.
yeah, i missed that and updated my response.

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
Got in touch with their Tech Support this morning. The instructions were supposed to be on the flash drive. Possible something happened in shipping that caused this to happen.
They are supposed to be sending me a dropbox link that will have what was on the flash drive (I think that should be emailed either way...).
I'll post on what happens next.

Jon

Update: Got the link. Process is what I had found online over the weekend. Use the OBD device to read the ECM. Take that file and email it to PPEI. They modify the file and send back the tuned version. Upload that to the OBD device and that is then written to the truck. You can always go back to stock by uploading your original file to the device and write that back to the ECM.
File has been sent. I'll let you know turn around time for the new file.

Last edited:

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
Right about 24 hours now. Sent a note this morning asking if there was a high level ETA so I could set my expectations correctly. Are they thinking today, tomorrow, this week or next week? I'll let you know what I get back....

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
So I called this afternoon. They are awaiting a software update from the manufacture of the handheld device. He said to call back in a couple of days if I had not heard anything. Not the greatest communication from them right now...
Hopefully the product is worth it once this gets addressed. At least this way I am not out a truck for a few days shipping ECMs around.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Thiers's a famous saying, things don't start good, they don't end good, I hope it does not apply in this case.

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
Thiers's a famous saying, things don't start good, they don't end good, I hope it does not apply in this case.
Me too...

Update: Just got an email back with a file that they are asking me to test.
I'll let you know how it goes.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
There's another famous saying, "He who has your money cares not about completion".
Sure hope it turns out well as it's a great improvement over shipping ECMs.

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
Things have not been going great. Truck is not liking the flash.
I am working directly with Kory on this. He has been putting in hours helping me. He and I were trading emails etc late into the night and early this morning. We are testing a couple of items. I'll keep you posted.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I noticed in a post he said he's pulled the OBD flashing for the EcoDiesels off the website for now while they work through some bugs. Hopefully you guys can get it figured out.

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
https://www.ppei.com/shop/ecodiesel-ecm-tuning-obd-flashing/
Its still on the site.
Update: Truck is back to stock and happy again. Kory has the manufacture of the handheld engaged and they are reviewing the logs together. More to come.
2nd Update: Re-flashed the Modified file Kory sent me last night and the truck is happy. The main thing we did in between is reapplied the Protocol files and this looks to have resolved the issue.
Going on a test drive. More to come.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
That's good news. Now the better news will be how it performs. Keep the updates coming, very informative.

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
None of the new files panned out. The modded file he sent was just a small change to test the flashing process. Something with the other updates the truck does not like. Good news is I can flash back to stock very easily.
He and the hardware manufacture are reviewing the logs. More to come.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
At least you have the ability to flash back to stock. Would be a real problem if that didn't work.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I wonder if they sold any tuners that actually worked on the eco they had to sell more than one

Firstsage

Nov 19, 2018
Truck Year
What model year is your truck? Sounds like a software PPEI has not seen before. Dangerous game making random changes on ecms.
15. Not random. Turning different switches on/off to see what it is that the truck is not liking from the base tune one at a time based on the logs.