• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FCA insider document reveals current engine failure rate.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If your one of the unlucky ones to puke out odds don't count....Just returned , 220 mile trip 65/75 MPH at 22.8 MPG HC 2019 Limited 5.7

Factor the 0.40 PG price difference My 2019 Limited 5.7 is 1-2MPG less than My 2015 VM3.0

My 2019 Power plant 5.7 has more Power the mileage is Awesome its all around a better Truck....IMO Ram designed the 2019 for Gas power , the 2020+ 3.0VM is unlikely to ever compete in Power and cost of ownership.

The changes in the 2020 3.0 Look promising ,But its a risk I'm not willing to take again.

Unless you tune this is your Future. ( more added cost $$$)
3.0 Intake1.jpeg

3.0 Intake.jpeg

John

Nov 13, 2015
If your one of the unlucky ones to puke out odds don't count....Just returned , 220 mile trip 65/75 MPH at 22.8 MPG HC 2019 Limited 5.7

Factor the 0.40 PG price difference My 2019 Limited 5.7 is 1-2MPG less than My 2015 VM3.0

My 2019 Power plant 5.7 has more Power the mileage is Awesome its all around a better Truck....IMO Ram designed the 2019 for Gas power , the 2020+ 3.0VM is unlikely to ever compete in Power and cost of ownership.

The changes in the 2020 3.0 Look promising ,But its a risk I'm not willing to take again.

Unless you tune this is your Future. ( more added cost $$$)
There are several hemi forums out there you know. I bet most of us are interested in hearing about a comparison of your new truck.

Sometimes it's better not to hijack other people's threads because after a while this sort of thing is considered trolling.

You sold your ED, bought a hemi, and now you're bitter. We get it and ironically you were one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I'm not bitter at all, I'm disappointed That FCA, put faith in VM.

I 've death with 100s of ED owners, Have been 100% correct on the history of the 3.0...

Go do search I forecasted the EPA lawsuit, the continue failures, the Lube change 1-2 years before it Happened, WHY because I view and analyze matters as the really are. Many ED owners view matters by emotions and the liberal teachings that they surround themselves with.

What's ironic is the 3.0VM cannot defend itself , and when someone is critical of its short comings The liberal owners get but hurt, and put every effort into subverting the facts.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
LMBO, FCA back in 2016 agreed to Buy back MY ED.I waited Just like every other Owner and fought harder and put More Pressure on FCA to treat ED owners with Justice and fairness.

I will come back to this thread and see if I'm correct in a couple of Years.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No....its called Fairness and Just.... I was NOT going to have the dealership jump threw all the fire hoops that buybacks create.

And the wait paid off, The take back deal work out better for Both Me and the Dealership.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I will not continue to reply/hijack this thread. It's once again getting pathetic around here. Sorry Jeff for the comment but it's true and has absolutely nothing to do with you.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
John The OP needs to take action if he wants his ED to survive, Its seem to do well in HWY service, it DD it seems to suffer. The EGR kills this motor, eliminate the EGR and Many of the engine problems are resolved.

EML

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
Close out post on the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel that ingested its main bearings. The dealer gave us the jeep back in late August with a new engine. Later that day we loaded up the family to head to our cabin, and made it 10 miles before the plastic panels underneath the car started falling off on the freeway; they had forgotten to tighten them down. Back to the shop. Four days later, we got it back. I gave it a more thorough shake down this time, which I'm glad I did. Upon medium acceleration, a horrible gear grinding sound happened. Back to the shop on Aug 29. The techs can replicate the problem at will, but have no clue. They get special test equipment from FCA, and determine it is a problem with a line going to the turbo. They replace it, and in late October decide "while it is still making softer grinding sounds and the car is sluggish," that it is good enough to return to me. No way. Ended up getting less than blue book for a trade on a 2019 gas Grand Cherokee. Figured I couldn't trade it in anywhere else. The Jeep dealer knows of the problem, so I wasn't trying to fool anyone. But I have felt taken advantage of.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Sorry to hear you have had such a crappy dealer, mechanic, and experience with your truck.

UKDodgy Dave

Apr 5, 2020
Truck Year
Wow... & hello, what a can of worms this is...
& I've just bought one, a 2016 3ltr EcoDiesel that had only done 42000 miles when the engine let go,
Another engine was fitted under warranty, but used all the ancillary parts from the blown engine,
Then that engine died, it appeared the problem was the ancillary parts, it was then deemed that didn't cover the warranty, so another engine was ordered but this time a complete crate engine
costing £11172.00. +tax then labour £2232.00 +tax, it's done only 2000 miles since the fitting last October with 1yr warranty... I've only covered 400 miles, & it's not pulled a trailer since October..
Should I be worried about anything ?
Oh & can you spot the mistake on the invoice
.. EcoDiesel 3.0 Petrol...
The vehicle registration document, we have V5,
It states Petrol, so now I'm having trouble getting the road tax corrected...
Problems bloody problems.....

UKDodgy Dave

Apr 5, 2020
Truck Year
Wow... & hello, what a can of worms this is...
& I've just bought one, a 2016 3ltr EcoDiesel that had only done 42000 miles when the engine let go,
Another engine was fitted under warranty, but used all the ancillary parts from the blown engine,
Then that engine died, it appeared the problem was the ancillary parts, it was then deemed that didn't cover the warranty, so another engine was ordered but this time a complete crate engine
costing £11172.00. +tax then labour £2232.00 +tax, it's done only 2000 miles since the fitting last October with 1yr warranty... I've only covered 400 miles, & it's not pulled a trailer since October..
Should I be worried about anything ?
Oh & can you spot the mistake on the invoice
.. EcoDiesel 3.0 Petrol...
The vehicle registration document, we have V5,
It states Petrol, so now I'm having trouble getting the road tax corrected...
Problems bloody problems.....

Attachments

• 20200405_214325.jpg
    20200405_214325.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200405_214303.jpg
    20200405_214303.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 16

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
UK, My Guess its Petrol-Gray Color, it does state Eco Diesel 3.0.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I had to fix my title also. It said "engine" gas
It was free but I thought I had better do it before I filed the FCA claim paperwork back in August or so.

Bill and Kristi

Jul 28, 2020
Truck Year
As I was visiting some of my favorite EcoDiesel information websites, I stumbled across an insider FCA document which revealed the current 3.0 VM failure rate at an average of 19 per WEEK. The same insider document was posted a few months back. At that time, the failure rate was 16 per week. The average failure rate has risen 15% without adding a single additional vehicle to the 104,000 '14-'16's sold.

If these numbers aren't alarming on their own; consider this... Also posted as a comparison was an FCA insider document revealing the current weekly average engine failure rate of the Cummins utilized in the 2500/3500/4500's. The number is 2. That is an average of two engines per week in a market that dwarfs the measly 104,000 EcoDiesel market. Not only that, but the Cummins market grows by the hundreds every day with the sale of new vehicles while the Ecodiesel has not sold a '17 model year vehicle to date.

Folks, if you don't think this problem is growing out of control, I don't know what to say to you. For the rest of you, I would suggest signing up for the class action lawsuit. We all own toxic property with abnormally low resale value. FCA should be held accountable for our monetary losses (both realized and future losses). In other words, buybacks based on book value at the time the news of the diesel cheat broke as early as September '16.
Whose working on a class action. We had 77000 miles on our 2016 when the engine seized. Sat for 6 hours on the side of the highway. FCA didn't even send a tow truck, they did replace the motor. What do we have now? A truck we can't trust.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
Whose working on a class action. We had 77000 miles on our 2016 when the engine seized. Sat for 6 hours on the side of the highway. FCA didn't even send a tow truck, they did replace the motor. What do we have now? A truck we can't trust.
After your venting drive it to your Ford Dealer and get a new trouble free F150

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Bill and Kristi, The VM3.0 is your problem, I dumped that VM 3.0 and Purchased Ram Limited 2019 with 5.7, the Mileage is great the ride and comfort is 2nd to None...

A good part of Why the 3.0VM continues to have major failure, Many owners are just blind to the facts that it fails prematurely, in many cases, My guess at least 12%-14% 3.0s been replaced and another 2%-4% twice. Back in 2015-16 VM 3.0s were failing up to 250+ per month, Thus you are 200+ times more likely to have 3.0 major failure, than industry standards of 1 per 1000 minimum.

FCA Fiat Chrysler America is not the Problem , its Fiat and its love affair with VM Motori of Italy.

If you can replace that Truck do so, your 2nd Motor is no better than the 1st.