• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking to buy a DD diesel but need honest advice

Bdersch

Sep 26, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hey everyone. Currently I own a 2015 Silverado 1500 double cab 4.3l V6 4x4. I've owned it for a year bought it with 35k miles and will have 50k miles on it soon and it paid off in full next month.

I got an amazing deal on the truck cause I bought it fron my buddies brother in law who owns a dealership. Its valued at what I bought it for and I know the more miles it gets the less value itll have.

I have always wanted a diesel and I loved my 2016 ram until i sold it. I developed some engine issues on the 3.6l unfortunately but the truck itself was so comfortable.

My current situation is I am a travel nurse so I usually monthly take trips that are like 4 hours in length home and my family commute right now is 2 miles however come January that's going to change to a more normal commute of 10-30 min and likely to include highway.

I love the thought of the diesel cause It allows me a higher tow capacity and honestly itll be able to tow more than I ever need. I'm setting myself up for the future right now with a truck I can use for at least the next 10 years. I know in the future ill have a boat and camper.

My biggest concern and main reason I'm hesitant to make the switch is the diesel world is new to me. I've read as much as my brain can comprehend and I think If I go with a tune that allows me to turn off or just completely delete the egr ill be golden. I just know there is a lot of talk about the epa shutting down some of these tuner places like GDE. Also the cost is like $2000 if I understand right? So I guess is I worth the switch? And how much up front am i looking at to set the truck up for success (egr delete, tune, etc.)

Thank you so much for everyone's advice and tips. If its not worth the switch then tell me haha

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I can't honestly recommend the EcoDiesel if you're looking to go for the next 10 years on it. It's just proven to have many issues with emissions and many other things, like blown engines.

If you're not towing a ton and your commute is that close, I'd strongly look into a gas engine.. but if you're set on the diesel, maybe the new F150 Powerstroke, or GM's new I6 diesel for the 1500's.

Bdersch

Sep 26, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I can't honestly recommend the EcoDiesel if you're looking to go for the next 10 years on it. It's just proven to have many issues with emissions and many other things, like blown engines.

If you're not towing a ton and your commute is that close, I'd strongly look into a gas engine.. but if you're set on the diesel, maybe the new F150 Powerstroke, or GM's new I6 diesel for the 1500's.

10 years is a ballpark. Essentially I'd like the truck to actually out live its value.

These eco diesels wont hit 200k+ ?

Unfortunately while I could afford a brand new diesel. For me its not worth the cost.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
when the problems start you will wish u never heard the word eco diesel MAYBE u will b lucky

Bdersch

Sep 26, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I honestly thought I'd hear a lot of positive reasons to do it Haha but dang I'm glad I made this post. Kind of really leaning away from it

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I honestly thought I'd hear a lot of positive reasons to do it Haha but dang I'm glad I made this post. Kind of really leaning away from it

Spend a few days on the forums... many folks here have had no issues, some haven't been so lucky. But also remember, most don't join to brag how good their EcoDiesel are... so you have to account for more "good ones".

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
It's a crap shoot for any emissions ridden diesel and now you can't tune them. All manufacturers half ton or HD all the way to commercial and even ag. Find one that's already been altered and hope for the Best. My 2015 has been good knock on wood. About 110k anyways, delete at around 80k changed some things but I removed egr dpf before any issues arose so I can't attest much to the difference in longevity of either.

What I do know is that if you don't drive it, or only run across town every day it will be problematic. Putting miles on it gives your best odds.

The increased fuel cost, and just cost of oil and Filters to maintain I don't think there's really a benefit to the diesel. I love my Truck but it wasn't the most cost effective option in honest hindsight.

Arkie 16

Apr 3, 2018
Truck Year
I run short trips and tow a jon boat a couple times a year, use no fuel additives and have no tune. 14,700 miles in 3 years as a daily driver. no codes ever. Go figure.