• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My adventure with SofaKingTuned

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Here's the trade off, to reduce soot you increase NOx significantly. You may believe reducing soot is a good thing IMO I would rather have soot then pegging the NOx meter. Yes soot returned to Intake problematic, Soot to DPF with regular cycling will last decades, the downside is fuel use, If, and its a BIG if, the CAA allow just a small amount of NOx the balance sheet could be met without fuel and soot increases, This near 0 PPM is just not necessary, IMO crazy and a hardship that *&^(. NOx is created naturally and produce by lighting.

You are only going to reduce NOx with Injection timing, You still need EGR None external/internal to reduce NOx and SCR , DEF.

Its a trade off for the environment NOx or Soot. eliminate one you significantly increase the other.

Their is some NEW technology coming that will be a game changer for Dsl, the target Date was late 2020 early 2021.

I did some calculations ( 2-20 teragrams) and Lighting creates about MAX 441.000.000Lbs of NOx Yearly worldwide, it would take MAX 27,562.500 Ecodiesel OEM at 16Lbs on avg yearly to equal lighting production of NOx. My best guess at tail pipe PM soot about 6Lbs Avg. 15K Driving OEM.

I was planning on more Testing DEC-FEB, unfortunately I have two legal battles that have developed, One Family and one business, Yes, I have legal counsel, but all Court Room activity I handle Myself.

Back in late 2015 I publicly declared the VM3.0 was NOT COC and in Jan 2017 The EPA agree with Me, and filed the Petition in District Court. The Petition Stated conditional software , Exactly What I stated.

The Mods (3) at 1500diesel.xxx became un-clued, that their precious 3.0 was Not compliant.
1500diesel.xxx misled Owners into believing the 3.0 was NOT problematic, and ALL YOU needed to do was Tune your 3.0.
They NEVER disclosed Tuning that effects (AECD) is Illegal and voids Your warranty. Yes, You tune you violate, Why would anyone be a member at that site is beyond Me.

I will consider it another Victory when that site NO longer exist, They Treated Myself (Shawn RIP) and a handful of other members harshly and even to the point of calling some Lairs. It has lost 10K member in the last 4.5 Years and declining YAY>

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE

I averaged 17.5 hand and evic calculated.

I pulled my utility trailer (see pic) to the dump down windy hilly back roads 25 miles to the dump.

I pulled my dads tractor with snow plow about 50 miles on the highway.

Again, my speedometer is not calibrated for my 35’s but prior to the tune pulling my utility trailer empty would drag me down to the 14-15 range. I have cut back to driving the truck only when needed because Virginia enjoys salting the roads when it rains or is cloudy and I have to make this truck last. I am hoping to get a good interstate trip accomplished soon so I can report back on that.

Thank you to all that still read and I hope my comments and observations have helped some people out!!
CBB99715-BD35-48F5-A504-8832E8E367E6.jpeg

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
OBSERVATION AND OPINION.

I want to do a follow up post today based off my opinions of the conversation between green diesel and tc diesel. While the scientific stuff is great knowledge and the logic of less regens means cleaner and so on and so forth... My primary concern and eagerness to find a tune was my better half and the soon to be 8 year old that I drive around. The motor runs dirty before a tune, wether it cleans the environment 1% per trip or 10% per trip is neither here nor there for my circumstance. Yes, “engine hygiene”, as tc diesel put it in posts before is important to me. Yes my diesel meeting emissions is important, yes my diesel lasting forever is important, yes noise from my diesel is important, which is why I have decided to go with the stage 1 tune at this time. BUT. My family’s safety comes before nox or regens. Coming from a trade field of hvac, I find that oil furnaces are a lot like my motor. Once you fire a furnace up, it’ll run however it’s set. Yet once it has problems your replacing parts x, y, and z every time to keep it going. If a furnace or a unit sits for years, you’ll find stand-by time can hurt more than help. I agree that regens and dpf and scr being few and far between can lead to corrosion and other unforeseen issues. I agree that ppm and soot and nox are all important parts of a proper engine tune and that very specific calculations and measurements are needed. But at the end of the day if my truck doesn’t catch on fire and my mpgs have gone up, I MUST have made one of those very important scientific calculations go down with my tune. Wether it was soot load or def fluid usage it has still had a positive impact on my motor. Now the negative consequences are still to be discovered later on when we come to talk about longevity. But if I can make it to 200k and not have the intake replaced or a vehicle totaled by fire I feel as if I have had a minor victory in this whole 3.0 vm/ fca shit show. I hope to continue to learn from all the knowledge on this page and contribute my knowledge and findings in my circumstances which was my whole reason I signed up for this forum!
Thanks y’all!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE

Had to go rescue a Toyota today... pulled the trailer 25 miles to him and 25 miles back and evic is averaging 17.9 still!! EC1DB355-5B70-498A-BDBC-341842F09B8A.jpeg

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
ODD DISCOVERY/ OBSERVATION

Hey everyone!

I’m enjoying my SKT so far but the other morning and one of my very first mornings with SKT I had an odd scenario occur. The following conditions were present:
1. Cold as balls (under 20 degrees F on the evic)
2. Block heater not plugged in.
3. Truck started upon entry. No real warm up time. I’d say around 1-2 minutes.

anywho. What occurred both times was around 5mph trip down my driveway .2 miles. Pulled out into the road and went to go, truck kinda stuttered and “diesel preheat in process” flashed briefly so I let my foot off and eased back into the accelerator and ole girl went on just fine.

I just wanted to bring this up for reference/ knowledge if anyone else has this occur. It does not kick me into limp mode but seems to be a limit for boost until the engine warms up more. Still glad I was able to leave my egr at the house and glad to be tuned!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE.

Kept getting a reoccurring p04DB code From time to time since I switched to 35’s. I reset shift values in my trans tune and boom seems to have improved my shifts and truck is even more responsive! I’m curious to see if the truck throws it when I pull trailers anymore.

Matt13

Feb 10, 2020
Truck Year
Did you ever install the EGR blanks? Also anyone following this post have a good source for dual off road exhaust mufflers? I plan to do stage 2 delete for my "off-road" truck.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Matt

I did install the diffuser tube blank offs but my egr is still in place. You can get muffler delete from amazon along with dpf straight pipe for your testing purposes

Matt13

Feb 10, 2020
Truck Year
I see the muffler replacement is for only the front section and the actual dual factory exhaust at the end is kept. I am also looking at HD Diesel supply for a full delete kit.

Mar 30, 2019
Truck Year
Did you ever install the EGR blanks? Also anyone following this post have a good source for dual off road exhaust mufflers? I plan to do stage 2 delete for my "off-road" truck.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Mar 30, 2019
Truck Year
This is for the 5.7

Banks makes a muffler/ resonator delete kit in dual and single outlet. It’s expensive. Better off going to an exhaust shop.
Will it not work? Except the emissions stuff, figured everything else would be the same. They look the same

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Will it not work? Except the emissions stuff, figured everything else would be the same. They look the same

When you plug in our make/ model, it says not compatible. You bring up a good point though...I wonder if exhaust parts are interchangeable. My bad.

Mar 30, 2019
Truck Year
When you plug in our make/ model, it says not compatible. You bring up a good point though...I wonder if exhaust parts are interchangeable. My bad.
I just found it last night in my searching, magnaflow has a pretty good video of the install and its the same setup, only thing that might be different would be the length from the engine to the muffler

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I remember reading somewhere the mufflers were the same for the 3.0 and the 5.7 that’s why they mass produced the straight pipe. I’ll look today if I get some time at work

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE

Approaching the 2500 mile mark tuned.

All is well so far. I keep getting a nuisance p04DB when I tow. Also got it the other day on a straight away. It appears my rpms go too low for more than 2 seconds and it trips. If I tow in manual mode I’m fine. I DO NOT ATTRIBUTE THIS CODE TO THE TUNE BECAUSE once I put the 35’s on I got the code a month later pulling out of my driveway pulling a trailer before I installed the tune. I believe it’s because I haven’t changed my speed to match the speedometer and it is shifting pre maturely. I reset clutch values and it got better. I’m also changing oil, trans fluid and fuel filter when I get time.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE

Approaching the 2500 mile mark tuned.

All is well so far. I keep getting a nuisance p04DB when I tow. Also got it the other day on a straight away. It appears my rpms go too low for more than 2 seconds and it trips. If I tow in manual mode I’m fine. I DO NOT ATTRIBUTE THIS CODE TO THE TUNE BECAUSE once I put the 35’s on I got the code a month later pulling out of my driveway pulling a trailer before I installed the tune. I believe it’s because I haven’t changed my speed to match the speedometer and it is shifting pre maturely. I reset clutch values and it got better. I’m also changing oil, trans fluid and fuel filter when I get time.

That’s good to hear! I’m loving the SFT trans tune, so far. It shifts so much smoother.

Matt13

Feb 10, 2020
Truck Year
DEF truck wont start in 470 miles is now on for my truck. looking like my level gauge is stuck in the tank as I just filled it. Looks like I will be buying the tune sooner then i thought. Plan to do the stage 2 delete.