• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo water coolant feed tube failure

RamDiesel1

May 24, 2017
Truck Year
Good morning all. I am having an issue with the Turbo Water Feed Tube. 2014 ED. 180k. It threw a code. I took it to the dealer. They said 2 issues. One is easy. But the TWFT is why i am here.
Water pours out from under the back of the engine with no apparent source, so I am pretty sure the dealer is correct. But The dealer wants $4300 to repair it, and I said I forgot my chkbook! Lol. I cant find vids on how to get to it. I see vids on for “after it is removed” and vids on the hemi but not the ED. I even found removal vids that show what to remove, but not HOW. I have gotten down to most of the wiring harness and the fuel line tubes.
I want to tackle this but not at the expense of losing the truck. I dont have the $4k. Which also means I cant get a replacement truck. Pls help.

RamDiesel1

May 24, 2017
Truck Year
Mine was the turbo coolant feed line, too. I think you got ripped off, though. Its not that hard to get to. Remove top harness, injector hard lines, turbo elbow, and intake manifold. Then its right there.
Gm. I need guidance for this Turbo Water Feed Tube removal. Do you hv a vid or source? I hav been all over a cpl of forums and cant find any.

Thx.
2014 ED. 180k.

Bignate

May 11, 2015
Truck Year
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I recently had my first major issue with my ecodiesel and felt like I should share it with you all. Maybe some of you have experienced the same thing. So at 72k miles my engine decided to spring a major coolant leak. I first noticed the leak when backing into my driveway, noticed a trail of water. I jumped out of my truck to investigate. Water was running from the back of the motor and down the trans bellhousing. By the time I shut the truck off there was almost no coolant left in the motor. I'm lucky it happened when it did. I spent a few hours trying to diagnose where the coolant was coming from. With no avail I chose to have to have it towed to the nearest dealer. It took the mech a few days to diagnose what failed and allowed me to come to the shop to check it out. As some of you may know there is a coolant line that is in the valley of the motor that comes from the drivers side head and feeds to the turbo or formally called the turbo water feed tube. This tube is made up of two hard lines that are connected by a rubber heater hose. The heater hose split! To access this absolutely terrible engineering design the intake manifold had to be removed. Now why would they put a standard heater hose in one of the most hottest parts of the motor? I understand they need flex but they could have used something of better quality, maybe something that could withstand heat better like a silicon hose or designed the hose to run on the outside of the motor. Best part yet fca declined a warranty claim because it's considered rubber it is not covered under warranty past 36k miles. 2 weeks and $2100 later I finally got my truck back. I wrote this to give a heads up to the ecodiesel community of what could happen to you and what to expect. during this whole dilemma I couldn't find anyone that has experienced the same failure. No aftermarket manufacturers or shops that I contacted heard of this or make a bulletproof kit yet. I live in az. summers are hot and I tow. What do they think will happen to rubber over time in those type of conditions? Maybe my environmental conditions cause the failure sooner then others. I was able to keep the old part. How is this part not covered by warranty when you can't maintain this part that is in the valley of the motor without tearing the motor apart to replace it? The rubber hose is dry and brittle. I cant imagine that i am the only eco that has had this happen. Let me know if you have had this happen. Maybe we can ban together and open a class action agenst fca for this poor engineering design. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
View attachment 1629
I have made this repair , first time it took me 4.5 hours on a friends truck , I just replaced the rubber hose part with the Goodyear 300 psi rated hose from Napa was about $140 for all parts , intake gaskets, coolant and hose. I did reuse the HP fuel lines and the repair has been done for over 30K miles and 2 years his truck is a 2016 eco. you will have to cut down a torx bit or make a tool to get close quarters for the fuel rail removal to get the intake out of the way.

gkunzelman

Mar 18, 2021
Truck Year
As far as I know, they are still using a rubber hose. Several people are replacing the rubber hose with a high temperature silicone hose like the one the in this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C9L9LP9/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

How many miles are on your Jeep? Is your Jeep tuned? If you're near 100,000 miles with a stock tune, then I would have the intake manifold replaced.

Well just to conclude my Jeep's situation. Dealership refused to do anything to improve the situation with this hose and used the same part that has been failing. They said that anything other than replacing it with the same crappy part would void the warranties on the vehicle. Vehicle had 59000 miles on it. Everything was covered under the extended warranty - otherwise it would've been about $3,000.

Anyone heard anything about whether this flaw will become a recall issue for replacement with a better part? Ridiculous that Jeep is not acknowledging the failed design in using this part and upgrading it to something that is reliable.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

W Royalty

Apr 19, 2019
Truck Year
Just came home from dealer. My 2015 Ram eco diesel has appointment to repair coolant leak under manifold. Approximately $1,400 and telling me this is a coolant problem and has nothing to do with emissions extended warranty. I am seeing posts that indicate that turbo coolant parts are covered. I am way under the 120,000 mile mark. I am seeing mixed messages about whether this is a warranty covered repair.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Just came home from dealer. My 2015 Ram eco diesel has appointment to repair coolant leak under manifold. Approximately $1,400 and telling me this is a coolant problem and has nothing to do with emissions extended warranty. I am seeing posts that indicate that turbo coolant parts are covered. I am way under the 120,000 mile mark. I am seeing mixed messages about whether this is a warranty covered repair.
Call the EcoDiesel settlement and speak to one of their attorneys. They will get it resolved. The other option is to contract Ram Cares. They too will resolve the issue.

Brelksj

Dec 3, 2021
Truck Year
Just got done reading this lengthly, but satisfying post. Below is my situation, please tell me what you think:
-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, ED, 42,000 miles.
-About one month ago I noticed a coolant smell and when I returned to the garage, a subsequent coolant puddle under the Jeep.
-I parked the Jeep and made an appointment with the dealership.
-1 week later, brought to the dealership. They called me the next day and said the turbo cooling line had a crack in it which caused the engine to not get coolant, which caused the engine to overheat (no lights or performance issues indicating overheating), which "might" have caused a blown head gasket (yes they were guessing). They said they wanted to charge me $4,400 for a engine "break down" fee to see what else failed.
-They then said I might as well replace the engine, at a price of $17,000. Lol
-I had the Jeep then towed to another garage. No work has been done yet.
-Now I come across this post and realize this should be covered under the extended warranty.
-In Feb2020, I received my settlement check.
-Question, can I still have the extended warranty cover it if I accepted the check?
-Has anyone received their check and then had the warranty work completed.

Texascherokee

Mar 27, 2019
Truck Year
Just a quick FYI, I had the same problem on my 2016 GC EcoDiesel, the tech removed the wiper assembly the the intake cowl and accessed the back of the engine to replace the Turbo Coolant Hose, I would recommend you try this and do not replace with the factory part, there is another thread with a silicone hose to replace the factory rubber "heater hose"

Brelksj

Dec 3, 2021
Truck Year
@Texascherokee I would normally do that, but if it is covered, I don't want to void the warranty.
I would also assume that this extended warranty would cover any additional damage caused as a result from the turbo cooling hose failing?

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
-Question, can I still have the extended warranty cover it if I accepted the check?
-Has anyone received their check and then had the warranty work completed.
As long as you are still under the AEM warranty, then yes, you are covered.

"The warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first."

W Royalty

Apr 19, 2019
Truck Year
Took truck back in for repair and kept getting told that it was a cooling problem having nothing to do with the extended warranty. After pointing out the section in the warranty about the turbocharger system “including all pipes and hoses” and asking why the turbo cooler line wouldn’t be part of that clause I was told that they would check on it and let me know. Got a call informing me that all the repair will be covered by warranty! The bad news is that parts won’t be in for over a week. I will be without a vehicle for probably 3 weeks.

Had it not been for this forum I would have never associated this leak with being a part of turbo and would likely have been out $1,400 or more.
THANKS!!

Jaski

Dec 5, 2021
Truck Year
After reading this whole thread twice, I have a question for those of you who know what’s up.

Background first.
I have a 2016 with 278,xxx miles on it. Had the recall retune done at 200,000miles, the EGR fix was not available at the time. I had the EGR and intake fixed at 231,000. I also had the tone wheel done at 277,000 under warranty (not related)

I have a massive leak coming from above the trans at the back of the block. I assume this is a leak from the “turbo water pipe” aka coolant hose as discussed here. But honesty unsure.

my question:
Since the recall was covered and fixed on my truck at 231,000 I would assume the “extended warranty” protects the parts listed and discussed here (coolant pipe specifically) for an additional 48k miles which covers me till 279k. How would you suggest I go about trying to get this covered by FCA? Or am I nuts to assume since their fix was only partially available that they would only cover the parts for 48k past the first fix on this re

The dealer it’s at (different then who did the FCA fix for the EGR and different from the one who did the tone wheel) wants to r&r the trans to verify it wasn’t a workmanship issue on the tone wheel but they shouldn’t have disturbed anything up above the trans on that fix and only moved the trans heater hoses which are unrelated.

I think it’s a different issue related to this coolant pipe but what was your experience or suggestion to have this fixed/diagnosed without risking the ridiculous charge of the r&r of the intake at minimum?

new member first post BTW
Attached are pics of uv dye showing the leak I’m dealing with. And pic of highest up drip I can get without a bore scope (I plan on getting one up in there if the dealer won’t work with me to check before risking the labor on the exploratory r&r)
CB5A36D9-0869-4472-95C8-1FF1E4AEF1B5.jpeg

Attachments

• 96A4A199-9580-4B13-983B-1A8558A411E5.png
    96A4A199-9580-4B13-983B-1A8558A411E5.png
    900.1 KB · Views: 7

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
@Jaski, as long as you're under the AEM warranty, then yes, you're covered. In your case, it doesn't sound like you have any warranty left. If the AEM software was installed at 200,000 miles, then your warranty expired at 248,000 miles.

"The warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first."

Jaski

Dec 5, 2021
Truck Year
@Jaski, as long as you're under the AEM warranty, then yes, you're covered. In your case, it doesn't sound like you have any warranty left. If the AEM software was installed at 200,000 miles, then your warranty expired at 248,000 miles.

What about running the angle that since the EGR wasn’t ready at that time and was done at 231,000?

Semi-off topic; has anyone had a MAJOR leak come from the banjo from the lower coolant hose on the back of the turbo? The dealership can’t tell how high up the coolant is coming from with a borescope and want to r&r the tranny to see. Seems like a waste of labor on a hope and a prayer.

thinking of just r&ring the intake myself to save the $1000 in labor & minor parts.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
What about running the angle that since the EGR wasn’t ready at that time and was done at 231,000?
Unfortunately, no.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Semi-off topic; has anyone had a MAJOR leak come from the banjo from the lower coolant hose on the back of the turbo?
It's fairly common for the turbo coolant hose to leak on higher mileage engines. The leak is typically the short rubber hose attached to the hard line.

Jaski

Dec 5, 2021
Truck Year
It's fairly common for the turbo coolant hose to leak on higher mileage engines. The leak is typically the short rubber hose attached to the hard line.
Which is under the intake to the top of the turbo? I am unsure where the other one is. I am not even sure which is even feed or return. I haven’t been able to find much for these readily available yet.

New truck to me so I have my research and good resources to find.

Thanks for the help btw

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Which is under the intake to the top of the turbo?
Yup, it's under the intake. You have two options. You can either replace the entire line with another OE part or you can just replace the rubber hose with a high temperature hose. Since you have 278,000 miles on your engine, you may consider buying a new engine, or saving money for a new engine. New engines have a 3 year/100,000-mile warranty and cost about $7,500 shipped for free and no core charge. New engines come complete with a new CP4 pump, new injectors, and new turbo. It's just something to think about.

s-l640.jpg