• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the best ecodiesel tune today for "EGR shutoff" but keeping equipment installed?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Here's the size of my usr files
Stock OEM ECM tune file is 130,357
SFT all in one (ECM & TCM) incl Rally tunes file is 1,605,047

Once you upload the OEM tunes and send them to SFT you do nothing until you receive the SFT usr file. Then you upload the SFT usr file onto the handheld. Then you use the handheld to download the SFT file to the ECM & TCM. It's an all in one file so you just let the handheld do its thing. I may have used the download and upload terms incorrectly.

Hope this helps

FO876

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
Thank you very much for the reply John!

I thought for sure I screwed something up yesterday while DL'ing the OEM map but all is well apparently.....I was pleasantly surprised to find my map returned early this morning and got it up n running in my '16 EcoD by lunchtime. Very pleased with the results so far!

I've read a good number of your posts on here, thanks for sharing your knowledge/experience on this specific tune!

Now that this tune has been around a while, just wondering if there's a consensus on how the truck responds to the Rally feature while towing??? I've seen many describe it as a "Sport" mode which is pretty accurate from the little bit I had it switched on....just curious if anyone's tried towing with it in that mode and how they like it?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Thank you very much for the reply John!

I thought for sure I screwed something up yesterday while DL'ing the OEM map but all is well apparently.....I was pleasantly surprised to find my map returned early this morning and got it up n running in my '16 EcoD by lunchtime. Very pleased with the results so far!

I've read a good number of your posts on here, thanks for sharing your knowledge/experience on this specific tune!

Now that this tune has been around a while, just wondering if there's a consensus on how the truck responds to the Rally feature while towing??? I've seen many describe it as a "Sport" mode which is pretty accurate from the little bit I had it switched on....just curious if anyone's tried towing with it in that mode and how they like it?
Glad I could help.
When Jimmy first came out with the Rally he said it was great for towing. Since then, I've read where some are saying don't tow with it and that they were told that by SFT. If it is not for towing, it makes tow haul worthless for towing. And everyone says, tow in tow haul. Suggest you call SFT and get a straight answer.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
My EGR is leaking, dealer put me on a waiting list... its time to do the delete, I can buy the kit and physically do it myself, but the tuning is my question. Where and who? I have the GDE 2.0 tuner, will that help me retune? do I even have to retune? can I buy a new tuner kit? Can I buy a new ECU and just swap them? Any Ideas or help would be great, I topping off the coolant daily, I tried Aluma Seal to no avail.

thanks

FO876

May 26, 2021
Truck Year
Im no expert on this topic, but almost positive the Sofa King Tuner is the only one that can bypass the EGR thus allowing you to delete it.

Colby

Jul 20, 2021
Truck Year
Anyone use big daddy diesel delete? Getting ready to order but can’t seem to find reviews? 2018 ecodiesel. Says it will disable the egr? I’m going to replace old exhaust.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone use big daddy diesel delete? Getting ready to order but can’t seem to find reviews? 2018 ecodiesel. Says it will disable the egr? I’m going to replace old exhaust.
I have never heard of them before. Let us know your results.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Regarding the disabled DEF gauge.

After the W58 (Tone Wheel) recall, SFT's updated tune gave me bad DEF messages and an engine light when I installed distilled water. SFT sent me a correcting tune, however, the DEF gauge no longer worked and the DEF pump no longer operated. I complained and SFT said, "We have stopped offering this feature, it causes too many issues". I want the DEF system to pump the water, and I want to know the level of fluid in the tank like it did before the W58 updated tune. So I asked SFT to send a new tune with the DEF system operating. SFT replied, "We don't feel comfortable providing this feature anymore."

IMO, SFT doesn't know how to make the DEF system operable with the W58 update tune.
That said, I see other tuners have also turned off the DEF system on their stage 1 tunes.

Last edited:

zephyrinus

Jul 14, 2022
Truck Year
Newbie here. My EGR/DPF has crapped the bed.
Dealership says it'll be $11,000 to fix it.
I have (supposedly) found an HP Tuner that'll do all the deletes. But tech support says they can't advertise it because it's illegal.
They sell the pipe and the EGR block off kit to go along with it.

I see people posting about tunes and back ups, etc...
When I get the HP Tuner delivered in the mail to me, do I just hook it up and it does the work?
How complicated is it? The mechanical part doesn't scare me, the computer part does.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Newbie here. My EGR/DPF has crapped the bed.
Dealership says it'll be $11,000 to fix it.
I have (supposedly) found an HP Tuner that'll do all the deletes. But tech support says they can't advertise it because it's illegal.
They sell the pipe and the EGR block off kit to go along with it.

I see people posting about tunes and back ups, etc...
When I get the HP Tuner delivered in the mail to me, do I just hook it up and it does the work?
How complicated is it? The mechanical part doesn't scare me, the computer part does.
11k? That’s the cost of a new engine…
Find a small private diesel shop to do the delete and tune. Should be about $2500. Or less.

zephyrinus

Jul 14, 2022
Truck Year
11k? That’s the cost of a new engine…
Find a small private diesel shop to do the delete and tune. Should be about $2500. Or less.
I have found a guy that'll do it for $2900. But he says he has to send my ECM in and will take a week to get it back, plus a week to get the parts.
I was hoping for something a little quicker.
So if what I found would get the Tuner and parts delivered at the same time, I could do it in a week.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I have found a guy that'll do it for $2900. But he says he has to send my ECM in and will take a week to get it back, plus a week to get the parts.
I was hoping for something a little quicker.
So if what I found would get the Tuner and parts delivered at the same time, I could do it in a week.
The shop that did mine was able to e mail the tune same day and upload it to my ECM. Parts were readily available locally. I too and Leary of reprogramming an ECM, especially on my daily driver.

zephyrinus

Jul 14, 2022
Truck Year
Did you ever use Big Daddy and if so, how were your results?

zephyrinus

Jul 14, 2022
Truck Year
The shop that did mine was able to e mail the tune same day and upload it to my ECM. Parts were readily available locally. I too and Leary of reprogramming an ECM, especially on my daily driver.
It appears everyone on here is scared of name dropping and getting shops/companies in trouble with the EPA. LOL

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Exactly. My truck is better than new as a result of their efforts. Much better!

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I picked up 40hp, lost all turbo lag, engine runs 15 degrees cooler, no def, and it even has a sweet exhaust note.

zephyrinus

Jul 14, 2022
Truck Year
I really want to try this. I'm assuming I can figure it out. And surely the company won't just screw me out of my money.
I just didn't know how it worked and wanted an idea from someone that has done it.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
It appears everyone on here is scared of name dropping and getting shops/companies in trouble with the EPA. LOL
Not sure why you laugh (LOL). I see you are new to this site and maybe to the subject at hand. If you do some research you'll find it's not a laughing matter. Companies that did tuning were shut down and heavily fined by the EPA. The EPA says that even changing tire size affects emissions and is thereby illegal. If the EPA had the budget and resources they could make all our lives pretty miserable.

You come on here asking for advice on how to commit an EPA major violation and laugh at what you find. I say do some research before you speak and have some respect.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I really want to try this. I'm assuming I can figure it out. And surely the company won't just screw me out of my money.
I just didn't know how it worked and wanted an idea from someone that has done it.
I forgot, I can say that I bought a new tune from GDE after the class action lawsuit money came in, and successfully installed it then, I still have the tuner.