• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Economy

Jan 16, 2022
Truck Year
Do any of you folks notice poorer mpg when it's colder? I've had my EcoDiesel for about 5 weeks. The first three were pretty mild, the last couple have been pretty frigid (by East TN standards). My fuel economy has seemed to decline in this time. Is this typical?
Also, fuel additives? The antigel stuff. Is that something I should be using?

Last edited:

Al T

May 17, 2021
Truck Year
Mine has been right around 17mpg this winter about 50% in town and 50% highway. The temperature
has been below freezing for quite a while. I've tried a couple of different additives (Howes and Hotshots
secret) it doesn't seem to help. I think it's just winter fuel. I also have a stage one tune from MRtuning.
and I drive like an old woman . I think the antigen is a good idea if you're running summer fuel year round
the rest of them I have my doubts. Hope this helps.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
2-3 MPG overall loss FYI is what I've noticed, even with the EcoDiesel. I don't have a garage currently that I park my truck in so I have a lot of warm up time in the winter, I personally don't care about the fuel lost if I can get in a nice heated cab.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Due to the winter blend, #1 diesel ratio to #2 diesel, which lowers the gel point of the fuel you can expect up to 10% reduction in fuel mileage. For my truck that is 2-3 mpg. I use a good winter diesel additive to help with the blend.

You may ask why the blend and why the loss in mpg. Your normal fuel is #2 diesel, it has a fairly high gel point so is not really good for cold weather. Now #1 diesel has a lower gel point but has a lower BTU potential so it nets less fuel mileage. The distributors change the blend based upon regional temperature expectations, to help keep the fuel from gelling in your filter and fuel lines. So this is called "Winter Blend". I treat with a winter diesel additive and some retailers do as well, this is called "Winter Treated Fuel".