• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Should I Stay or Should I Go???

bhbusguy

Mar 28, 2023
Truck Year
new member here...bought this truck, 2015 1500 eco, with 141,000 miles, gorgeous condition. had it 7 weeks, put 2000 miles on it , when a rod went through the block...dealer I bought it from agreed, reluctantly, to help pay for the repair. so 4 months and $18,000. later, I have my truck back! I has a delete kit installed, unknown origin, but runs great now. Mama wants me to trade it on a jeep pickup. I don't want to take a bath on a trade. what to do? opinions on the new engine?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
It’s definitely a roll of the dice to keep it. But with it being deleted I don’t see why you can’t expect a good life out of it.

bhbusguy

Mar 28, 2023
Truck Year
had its first new engine oil change yesterday at 1000 miles. today, service throttle controller message...poor drivability all day. will do some research, erase code, see what happens. not getting off to a good start with this truck...

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Could be a boost leak or something they reused from original motor install that got damaged

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
What a Jeep Pickup....Those Wranglers ride like off Road Rock trucks, Get another Ram with the Hurricane Motor....Now if you keep the ED put it on a stick diet of OAs as soon as a trend is established with high levels of wear get rid of it.

Greyboard 1956

Jul 21, 2022
Truck Year
new member here...bought this truck, 2015 1500 eco, with 141,000 miles, gorgeous condition. had it 7 weeks, put 2000 miles on it , when a rod went through the block...dealer I bought it from agreed, reluctantly, to help pay for the repair. so 4 months and $18,000. later, I have my truck back! I has a delete kit installed, unknown origin, but runs great now. Mama wants me to trade it on a jeep pickup. I don't want to take a bath on a trade. what to do? opinions on the new engine?
I have the same truck as you. Deleted but with 119k miles on it. I religiously change oil when it’s required and use only amsoil. I also deleted my oil cooler (stock is more of a heat exchanger). This adds about a quart and a half more oil to the system, the flow rate is better, and I can tow at Highway speeds without excessive oil temps. That said, I absolutely LOVE my ecodiesel! I get 28.4 average at highways speeds and average 18 in the city. The ecodiesel takes a lot of hate, but it was actually the Feds who ruined it with the diesel mandates which came shortly after Ram bought the engine. This forced the company to do some quick changes to meet the EPA criteria. The engine itself is a good engine, though it was originally designed for marine usage. I also use diesel hotshot every tank of diesel I put in. This is a good engine, no matter what the naysayers gripe about. I plan on keeping mine for years….

DATA

Jul 8, 2021
Truck Year
I have the same truck as you. Deleted but with 119k miles on it. I religiously change oil when it’s required and use only amsoil. I also deleted my oil cooler (stock is more of a heat exchanger). This adds about a quart and a half more oil to the system, the flow rate is better, and I can tow at Highway speeds without excessive oil temps. That said, I absolutely LOVE my ecodiesel! I get 28.4 average at highways speeds and average 18 in the city. The ecodiesel takes a lot of hate, but it was actually the Feds who ruined it with the diesel mandates which came shortly after Ram bought the engine. This forced the company to do some quick changes to meet the EPA criteria. The engine itself is a good engine, though it was originally designed for marine usage. I also use diesel hotshot every tank of diesel I put in. This is a good engine, no matter what the naysayers gripe about. I plan on keeping mine for years….
What are you using for an aftermarket oil cooler? How many pounds do you usually toe and how hot does your oil temp get with your aftermarket oil cooler? Thank you.

Greyboard 1956

Jul 21, 2022
Truck Year
What are you using for an aftermarket oil cooler? How many pounds do you usually toe and how hot does your oil temp get with your aftermarket oil cooler? Thank you.
Hi. I am using a Misimoto 16 row cooler and a PPE brand oil filter remote mount, both from Thoroughbred Diesel. Prior to these, my oil would be upwards of 240 degrees, but now I tow my 7,500 pound trailer and it never goes above 210

Greyboard 1956

Jul 21, 2022
Truck Year
Hi. I am using a Misimoto 16 row cooler and a PPE brand oil filter remote mount, both from Thoroughbred Diesel. Prior to these, my oil would be upwards of 240 degrees, but now I tow my 7,500 pound trailer and it never goes above 210
What is a little more difficult to find is the delete plate that plugs the H2O ports in the factory cooler. You have to remove the entire cooler/oil filter assembly and install a plate that only allows oil to go through to the remotely mounted oil filter.

Greyboard 1956

Jul 21, 2022
Truck Year
What is a little more difficult to find is the delete plate that plugs the H2O ports in the factory cooler. You have to remove the entire cooler/oil filter assembly and install a plate that only allows oil to go through to the remotely mounted oil filter.

Attachments

• 64D55652-2859-4391-8B1D-49673C8072B0.png
    64D55652-2859-4391-8B1D-49673C8072B0.png
    605.8 KB · Views: 13

DATA

Jul 8, 2021
Truck Year
Can you send me a picture of the oil cooler? And where did you mount the cooler? Thank you.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
it's this simple, ALL VM 3.0s are Hero's or Zero's...NONE of your aftermarket products will Change QC and Cento Italy... I don't like AECDs either but it's the maker responsibility to conform so that each vehicle is COC...The money You have invested to no NON-conform will never be paid back, plus the additional $$$$ for the 3.0s.... and the increased risk of failure monetarily $$$$$ cannot be measured. If you're going to keep your 3.0 you had better have it on a steady diet of OA trends.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I like blackstone for sending it in and they provided kits...

Shawharm

Oct 21, 2022
Truck Year
it's this simple, ALL VM 3.0s are Hero's or Zero's...NONE of your aftermarket products will Change QC and Cento Italy... I don't like AECDs either but it's the maker responsibility to conform so that each vehicle is COC...The money You have invested to no NON-conform will never be paid back, plus the additional $$$$ for the 3.0s.... and the increased risk of failure monetarily $$$$$ cannot be measured. If you're going to keep your 3.0 you had better have it on a steady diet of OA trends.
Hi there. I don’t understand the lingo of OA Trends. Can you enlighten me please. I have a 16 ED with 250000 kms. It’s been deleted since 100000 kms.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Oil analysis....

tolbertscott75

Nov 17, 2023
Truck Year
OA trends?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Oil Analysis.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

There are several labs you can send your oil to and have it analyzed. Using the data from these analysis you can establish contaminants, wear metals, etc. This can give you an indication of potential engine life or help identify problems.