• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

111,000 miles, 2014 ecodiesel, probably caught an engine failure

stainlessman

Jul 10, 2018
Truck Year
First time poster here. Thought I would share my story.
Bought the 2014 in Sept of 2014. Been pretty reliable except the def regen codes. But, had the oil cooler failure a year ago at 97,000 miles and the dealer said, "sorry, we dont cover that, its not part of the drive train". Like how? Then, I had some valve fail that changes the coolant circulation to the tranny when its cold, same deal, not covered at 80,000 miles. Now the KABOOM moment we have all been waiting for.

I was driving normally, and heard a slight TICK_TICK_TICK that changed with acceleration. So, I immediately pulled over and was like "wtf??""". Drove a few more miles to a shady place and checked engine out. Nothing obviously. Took to a dealer on my way home, 3 more miles, noise got a little louder. Ram tech had no idea what it was and looked it over with a stethoscope and could not pinpoint noise. No check engine lights or anything.

So, I went home, grabbed my Cummins(with 350,000 miles on it) and trailer and trailered it to the dealer. Dealer service advisor plugs it into his Ipad and it immediately reads, "retarded timing at number two injector". Why I did not get a code on my dashboard saying check engine(yellow engine icon) or shut engine down(red engine icon) Ill never know. Must be because if you keep on driving it you get to buy a new motor from Fiat/Chrysler and they need the money.

So, I think I caught the catastrophic engine failure in time, but not sure. Dealer will let me know later this week. My guess is that its still running and you get a few minutes before the timing slips and the pistons and the valves destroy each other. Looks to me, at this point, to be the dreaded exhaust cam gear slippage but before the engine grenaded itself so since it is an interference motor once the pistons hit, its game over and I do not think I am at game over just yet.

What are your thoughts? Anybody else get this code?