• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2014 ED, hard to start, lots of white smoke and chatter on startup

brzztffn

Jan 6, 2022
Truck Year
Hey everyone, this is my first post ever on this site, and I could really use some advice or help.

I have a 2014 ED, fully deleted and tuned, and a few weeks ago it started having an issue where it billows lots of white smoke on startup, and sounds like an old tractor in the process. Regardless of the temperature outside, and if I have the block heater plugged in. I took a video a little bit ago:

My fuel economy has also gone down quite a bit, I'm averaging around 18mpg with 35x12.5" tires, and a 3 inch level/lift, and I started actually being able to 'roll coal' when I put my foot down.

This is how it acts after sitting all night, and morning, on a 60 degree day.

I dropped it off at a diesel repair shop on Monday night, and they say it needs 6 new injectors, because the 'numbers aren't where they are supposed to be'. That immediately struck me as someone who didn't know WTF they are talking about, and just wants to start throwing parts at the issue. He also said that it looks like one of my injectors is leaking, but it's impossible to tell which one it is.

Getting a second opinion is going to be tough as well, because every shop and dealership around is backed up at least 2 weeks.

I know the video isn't much to go on, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had these issues on their truck? I'm still in college and just bought a house, and I really can't afford to start throwing thousands of dollars worth of parts at this truck.

Thank you everyone!

Bob Morris

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
Hey everyone, this is my first post ever on this site, and I could really use some advice or help.

I have a 2014 ED, fully deleted and tuned, and a few weeks ago it started having an issue where it billows lots of white smoke on startup, and sounds like an old tractor in the process. Regardless of the temperature outside, and if I have the block heater plugged in. I took a video a little bit ago:

My fuel economy has also gone down quite a bit, I'm averaging around 18mpg with 35x12.5" tires, and a 3 inch level/lift, and I started actually being able to 'roll coal' when I put my foot down.

I dropped it off at a diesel repair shop on Monday night, and they say it needs 6 new injectors, because the 'numbers aren't where they are supposed to be'. That immediately struck me as someone who didn't know WTF they are talking about, and just wants to start throwing parts at the issue. He also said that it looks like one of my injectors is leaking, but it's impossible to tell which one it is.

Getting a second opinion is going to be tough as well, because every shop and dealership around is backed up at least 2 weeks.

I know the video isn't much to go on, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had these issues on their truck? I'm still in college and just bought a house, and I really can't afford to start throwing thousands of dollars worth of parts at this truck.

Thank you everyone!
White smoke is an indicator of in burnt fuel or engine oil leaking into the combustion chamber. With the sound It’s’s making, I’m thinking you have low compression. That could be why your getting white smoke and harder than normal startup. The rod bearings could be an issue, causing the pistons to have reduced travel at TDC.
Anyway, that was my experience, I had a 2015 ED that had the engine crater.

brzztffn

Jan 6, 2022
Truck Year
White smoke is an indicator of in burnt fuel or engine oil leaking into the combustion chamber. With the sound It’s’s making, I’m thinking you have low compression. That could be why your getting white smoke and harder than normal startup. The rod bearings could be an issue, causing the pistons to have reduced travel at TDC.
Anyway, that was my experience, I had a 2015 ED that had the engine crater.
Hey Bob, thanks for the reply... When you experienced this problem, did that noise go away after a few seconds?

I did some more searching, and it seems that I check the box for all the signs of stiction in the motor:

Symptoms of stiction:
  • Failed injector diagnosis;
  • Hard starts;
  • Hesitation;
  • Rough idling;
  • Poor acceleration; and.
  • Excessive black smoke;

When I pick up my truck later today, I'm going to stop and buy some stiction eliminator and fuel injector cleaner. I don't have high hopes, but I also don't have much to lose either...

Stormline

Feb 16, 2019
Truck Year

Thank you everyone!
Yes it could well be the injectors how many miles is on it then?

DaveS

Jan 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed

Thank you everyone!
Thought white is smoke is a tip to coolant being cleared from combustion chamers. If truly fully deleted, biggest cause, leaking egr cooler is gone. Need to watch coolant level in rad tank like a hawk and be certain oil and coolant should NO signs of cross contamination. Bad outcomes there. If coolant going down AT ALL, gotta find the leak in Source before oil gets contaminated.
Rough running and black smoke are likely secondary to messed up injection process, but Key question is "what caused the change? And why WHITE smoke (part steam) at start up.

Bob Morris

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year

Thank you everyone!
Did you get your truck picked up from the dealer? What was the result?