• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2014 new owner tranny warning??

moparlove

Dec 2, 2021
Truck Year
Sold my '93 club cab Cummins and got a 2014 Lone Star edition Ram 1500 ecodiesel. Love the power and fuel economy. Towed our 24 foot travel trailer from Idaho to Texas and Lousiana and back. 4200 miles and averaged 12mpg. With the old Cummins, the same trip averaged less than 10mpg and wouldn't hold the same speeds on long grades or in the wind. O2 sensor went out, so had the dealer where I bought it change it while they were replacing the steering wheel and doing an oil change.
Hardly driven since and noticed yesterday that when I put it in reverse a get a dash display that says "service" with an overhead view outline of a truck. No unusual noises, runs fine and goes into gears both forward and reverse.
I've not worked on anything this new. What kind of scanner is needed to read codes? I have an OBD2.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Any scanner that can pull codes will work. Alfaobd is a computer/ android program that is very handy to have. Most likely a reverse light bulb out?

moparlove

Dec 2, 2021
Truck Year
Any scanner that can pull codes will work. Alfaobd is a computer/ android program that is very handy to have. Most likely a reverse light bulb out?
You are correct that the reverse lights aren't working, but the bulbs seem to be okay (at least they have continuity through the filaments. Think I'll get some new ones anyway. I recall when I was a BMW motorcycle tech that canbus systems were so sensitive that they could indicate faults if the resistance got just a little high. Some particular brands of bulbs just didn't work. Haven't been able to identify which fuse is on this circuit.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I put led bulbs in my reverse lights, never got any codes or errors until I installed led headlights and fogs, then it registered failed taillight bulbs but they worked lol