• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Dodge ram 1500 ecodiesel loosing coolant

Dennis Keith

Dec 2, 2018
Truck Year
I know this has been discussed but here is my dilemma
1 pressure check was great
2 found a little coolant coming from overflow changed cap
3 No leak found anywhere
No overheating or codes
Oil temp 206
Coolant temp 203 to 206
Still losing coolant .
Please help

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
I know this has been discussed but here is my dilemma
1 pressure check was great
2 found a little coolant coming from overflow changed cap
3 No leak found anywhere
No overheating or codes
Oil temp 206
Coolant temp 203 to 206
Still losing coolant .
Please help

It’s likely your EGR Cooler is putting the coolant directly into the intake of your truck. It’s a known weak spot on the modern diesel motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
How much are you losing? I have 134k miles on mine and it seems to be sipping a little, but nothing alarming.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
Also I just cleaned my EGR pipe and didn't smell/notice any coolant.

Dennis Keith

Dec 2, 2018
Truck Year
Its down bout 1/2 inch a day i drive 15 miles a day work but it looks like some is coming out the overflow i just dont know why

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
Does your oil look milky? The oil coolers are notorious for failure.

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
Does your oil look milky? The oil coolers are notorious for failure.

History says that if your oil cooler fails it will put oil into the cooling system. Not drinking coolant.

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
Its down bout 1/2 inch a day i drive 15 miles a day work but it looks like some is coming out the overflow i just dont know why

Do you add coolant everyday? Is the level below the seam in the degas bottle?

Skylar

Nov 13, 2018
Truck Year
History says that if your oil cooler fails it will put oil into the cooling system. Not drinking coolant.

Guess that makes sence if the oil has the higher PSI.

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
EGR cooler leaks are misdiagnosed far too often. I think the easiest way of seeing if it’s leaking is to pull the EGR tube and see if it’s wet with gummy soot. It should look like a dryish black soot powder. Not gummy.

Dennis Keith

Dec 2, 2018
Truck Year
Do you add coolant everyday? Is the level below the seam in the degas bottle?

Its at the seam in the bottle i filled it to the cold fill line last Wednesday .what ya thinking

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
Its at the seam in the bottle i filled it to the cold fill line last Wednesday .what ya thinking

That’s good news....watch it for the next few days/weeks. It’s my belief that our degas bottles are mismarked. Almost everyone that I’ve talked to including myself has there coolant level settle at the seam in the bottle.

Mine will be at the seam when cold, and when the truck is up to normal temps my bottle is at the top of the cold fill mark on the bottle, due to expansion.

Mine has been at the exact seam for three years now. I originally got worried when I saw it the first time and added coolant to the top mark, and then about a week later it was back to the seam.

There is a hose in the bottle that ends at the top seam. You can’t see it but it’s there, and when the coolant expands it goes above that open hose and drains out of the hose which runs out directly under the center of the bottle, and that hose dead ends below the radiator, so as you’re driving it is leaking out that hose and onto the road, so there is no real evidence of it in your driveway.

Just a theory of mine. But I wouldn’t worry too much as of right this minute. Just stop adding coolant for a few days and see if the level is at the seam before you start it every morning for the next few days.

Dennis Keith

Dec 2, 2018
Truck Year
That’s good news....watch it for the next few days/weeks. It’s my belief that our degas bottles are mismarked. Almost everyone that I’ve talked to including myself has there coolant level settle at the seam in the bottle.

Mine will be at the seam when cold, and when the truck is up to normal temps my bottle is at the top of the cold fill mark on the bottle, due to expansion.

Mine has been at the exact seam for three years now. I originally got worried when I saw it the first time and added coolant to the top mark, and then about a week later it was back to the seam.

There is a hose in the bottle that ends at the top seam. You can’t see it but it’s there, and when the coolant expands it goes above that open hose and drains out of the hose which runs out directly under the center of the bottle, and that hose dead ends below the radiator, so as you’re driving it is leaking out that hose and onto the road, so there is no real evidence of it in your driveway.

Just a theory of mine. But I wouldn’t worry too much as of right this minute. Just stop adding coolant for a few days and see if the level is at the seam before you start it every morning for the next few days.

Will do i will let ya know in a few days ty

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
If it gets below the seam...you likely have a leak somewhere. And my bet would be the EGR cooler.

Dennis Keith

Dec 2, 2018
Truck Year
If it gets below the seam...you likely have a leak somewhere. And my bet would be the EGR cooler.

What do you think would be better to do if its the cooler delete it or fix it

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
What do you think would be better to do if its the cooler delete it or fix it

If/when mine starts leaking it’s coming off within a week. I live in Louisiana, so no crazy diesel testing for me.

I have a 2015, so I’m out of bumper to bumper warranty, so it would be around 2000 to replace it.

If you’re within warranty I would let them fix it by replacement, and then delete it. A brand new one would be worth a pretty penny to someone.

Dennis Keith

Dec 2, 2018
Truck Year
If/when mine starts leaking it’s coming off within a week. I live in Louisiana, so no crazy diesel testing for me.

I have a 2015, so I’m out of bumper to bumper warranty, so it would be around 2000 to replace it.

If you’re within warranty I would let them fix it by replacement, and then delete it. A brand new one would be worth a pretty penny to someone.

Afraid the warranty for the egr is 36000 my truck is at 38k so sucks for me

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Find another dealer complain about truck is pulsating and losing coolant, they will replace the plenum and EGR Cooler. Mine was done at 43K miles

Attachments

• Ecodiesel EGR_Intake Repl 11 7 18.pdf
    742.4 KB · Views: 43