• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 EcoD with problems as AEM

jtk047

Jul 6, 2019
Truck Year
Good afternoon everyone. Long time reader here. I really enjoy reading everyone’s inputs.

Last week I bit the bullet and had my 2016 EcoD flashed with the AEM update. I thought it was a good idea due to the added 48000 miles of warranty on certain parts. I feel like I have been one of the fortunate owners, as I have 118,000 miles on my truck with zero problems and zero complaints.... Until now...

Currently my truck is back in the shop for the 3rd time in two weeks. First was a DPF sensor, then the PCN or PCM. Latest problem is due to low boost pressure and a CEL stating service electronic throttle.

Just wanted to get anyone’s feedback that has also completed the Emissions flash. Has anyone else had these problems?

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
Good afternoon everyone. Long time reader here. I really enjoy reading everyone’s inputs.

Last week I bit the bullet and had my 2016 EcoD flashed with the AEM update. I thought it was a good idea due to the added 48000 miles of warranty on certain parts. I feel like I have been one of the fortunate owners, as I have 118,000 miles on my truck with zero problems and zero complaints.... Until now...

Currently my truck is back in the shop for the 3rd time in two weeks. First was a DPF sensor, then the PCN or PCM. Latest problem is due to low boost pressure and a CEL stating service electronic throttle.

Just wanted to get anyone’s feedback that has also completed the Emissions flash. Has anyone else had these problems?
My truck has 34k on it, after the AEM update truck drives like it has loss power. Engine will not shift out until the truck gets up to about 2500 rpms. Mpg dropped to about 24 on the hwy.

eeeehaw

May 3, 2018
Truck Year
I took my 2016 1500 in for the Fiat-Chrysler recall to get the Ecodiesel emissions programming update (which comes with an extended warranty, per the federal settlement). At first, the dealer's service shop pretended they didn't know about the recall (!), but relented when I showed them the letter sent to me, and learned when I took it in that there's been a bunch of others before me that they serviced for same recall. There must be some hidden dealer issue behind that attitude.

The service was performed on 21 June 2019, and I noticed immediately after that emissions firmware update that the acceleration is MUCH poorer than before...almost to the point of being dangerous when pulling out in traffic. I'm planning to take it back to complain and see if they introduced some other problem while it was in their shop. I filled my fuel tank on the same day, and have not yet refilled so I don't know how mpg fuel efficiency has been affected; I use an Android app "Fuel Log" to keep track (it's fantastic, BTW), and have averaged 22mpg mixed driving for the past couple years. Once I know what's happened to that fuel efficiency, I'll be taking it back.

There is a monetary compensation component to the federal settlement, about $3K USD, but I haven't heard more info on that yet. I'm otherwise happy with the truck, it has low mileage (37K), so likely to hang onto it and take the cash.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I took my 2016 1500 in for the Fiat-Chrysler recall to get the Ecodiesel emissions programming update (which comes with an extended warranty, per the federal settlement). At first, the dealer's service shop pretended they didn't know about the recall (!), but relented when I showed them the letter sent to me, and learned when I took it in that there's been a bunch of others before me that they serviced for same recall. There must be some hidden dealer issue behind that attitude.

The service was performed on 21 June 2019, and I noticed immediately after that emissions firmware update that the acceleration is MUCH poorer than before...almost to the point of being dangerous when pulling out in traffic. I'm planning to take it back to complain and see if they introduced some other problem while it was in their shop. I filled my fuel tank on the same day, and have not yet refilled so I don't know how mpg fuel efficiency has been affected; I use an Android app "Fuel Log" to keep track (it's fantastic, BTW), and have averaged 22mpg mixed driving for the past couple years. Once I know what's happened to that fuel efficiency, I'll be taking it back.

There is a monetary compensation component to the federal settlement, about $3K USD, but I haven't heard more info on that yet. I'm otherwise happy with the truck, it has low mileage (37K), so likely to hang onto it and take the cash.
I love my truck too but I am saving for a GDE tune.

eeeehaw

May 3, 2018
Truck Year
I bought a 10yr/100Kmi extended warranty on my truck. Given the issues with the Fiat Ecodiesel motor I see posted in this forum, I'm not willing to endanger that warranty by chipping it to override the ECU firmware, or other modifications that can be successfully cited in court as root cause of engine problems.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I bought a 10yr/100Kmi extended warranty on my truck. Given the issues with the Fiat Ecodiesel motor I see posted in this forum, I'm not willing to endanger that warranty by chipping it to override the ECU firmware, or other modifications that can be successfully cited in court as root cause of engine problems.
Your truck your choice , enjoy your RAM.

Will_CathVT

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
Bought my certified used 2016 Ecodiesel, dealer updated per recall, spent the first week and half in the shop to replace sensors and regenerate. Cold, runs okay but not much in the pick-up, warm and it takes off, i.e. responsive. New to this diesel world, hoping I didn't make a mistake. The loaner Big Horn with the 5.7 Hemi was pig at the gas pump, the GMC I traded was under powered for pulling my RV. I have the extended warranty information for the recall plus a 4 year unlimited milage warranty on the drive train. We'll see...

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
Bought my certified used 2016 Ecodiesel, dealer updated per recall, spent the first week and half in the shop to replace sensors and regenerate. Cold, runs okay but not much in the pick-up, warm and it takes off, i.e. responsive. New to this diesel world, hoping I didn't make a mistake. The loaner Big Horn with the 5.7 Hemi was pig at the gas pump, the GMC I traded was under powered for pulling my RV. I have the extended warranty information for the recall plus a 4 year unlimited milage warranty on the drive train. We'll see...
It's a crap shoot with the Ecodiesel, some go 200k with no problems and some go 50k and fall apart. My Ecodiesel has 34k on it, so far ZERO problems. I personally am a big fan of Amsoil Diesel engine oil. I plan to use Amsoil and drive mine until it drops dead in the road. Welcome to the Ecodiesel club.

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
There are several threads on issues experienced after the AEM.... I too have the sluggish, low power acceleration-

All that post should also file a complaint with the NHTSA at safercar.gov.

This is more than a performance issue ..... it is a SAFETY ISSUE. Many have almost had accidents as a result of the loss of take off power.

I am sure the aftermarket tuners like the GDE are well worth the money, but it is like Dodge is forcing EcoDiesel owners to pay additional to have a decent truck again.

**** FILE A COMPLAINT SO OUR CONCERNS CAN BE ADDRESSED *****

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
There are several threads on issues experienced after the AEM.... I too have the sluggish, low power acceleration-

All that post should also file a complaint with the NHTSA at safercar.gov.

This is more than a performance issue ..... it is a SAFETY ISSUE. Many have almost had accidents as a result of the loss of take off power.

I am sure the aftermarket tuners like the GDE are well worth the money, but it is like Dodge is forcing EcoDiesel owners to pay additional to have a decent truck again.

**** FILE A COMPLAINT SO OUR CONCERNS CAN BE ADDRESSED *****
Well they kind of have most owners over a barrel so to speak, since we excepted this settlement money, we are unable to file a claim. But I do agree that the truck drives awful. So I’ll be standing in line to get my new GDE Ecm tune.

Wil

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
Well they kind of have most owners over a barrel so to speak, since we excepted this settlement money, we are unable to file a claim. But I do agree that the truck drives awful. So I’ll be standing in line to get my new GDE Ecm tune.

I agree.... is why I am waiting to actually sign anything until Feb. to see what else may occur.

nw2015gc

Jul 22, 2019
Truck Year
I have the ecodiesel in a 2015 Grand Cherokee. Since the update, I have had multiple exhaust system regenerations, a warning to service the DEF system (everything was ok). I immediately after the flash update noticed it pauses when shifting going up hill at lower speeds, and makes a buzzing noise twice in a row. Had it to the dealer 3 times, everything checks fine, it is the damn update. It is not worth it in my opinion.

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I would love to do the GDE tune, but I live in Kalifornia and besides I think that tune would delete my warranty. My truck is brand new.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I have the ecodiesel in a 2015 Grand Cherokee. Since the update, I have had multiple exhaust system regenerations, a warning to service the DEF system (everything was ok). I immediately after the flash update noticed it pauses when shifting going up hill at lower speeds, and makes a buzzing noise twice in a row. Had it to the dealer 3 times, everything checks fine, it is the damn update. It is not worth it in my opinion.
I had the new AEM tune done at the dealer on 17 may, worst thing I could have done to my truck. My birthday is next month I will be getting the GDE engine tune and the trans tune.

Ccbigelow3

Jul 27, 2019
Truck Year

I am having similar problems after the Aem tune. Getting codes PO299 and PO2459 and now particulate filter is 100% and will not Regen. Dealer is backed up till September 9th. I took the money but now I think some of it will go for a tune once the dealer is done with it. I really wish I knew more about these tunes.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I am having similar problems after the Aem tune. Getting codes PO299 and PO2459 and now particulate filter is 100% and will not Regen. Dealer is backed up till September 9th. I took the money but now I think some of it will go for a tune once the dealer is done with it. I really wish I knew more about these tunes.
I feel your PAIN, I feel like Ram lied to everyone about the tune affecting the drivability of the vehicle.

sparky357

Aug 5, 2019
Truck Year
My truck has 34k on it, after the AEM update truck drives like it has loss power. Engine will not shift out until the truck gets up to about 2500 rpms. Mpg dropped to about 24 on the hwy.
ditto on that. after the factor v08 reflash identical results.