• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 EcoDiesel - Engine Knocking/Shaking

Clyde.Hestur

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
Last week I had to pull over and have my truck towed to the dealership, I noticed the engine was vibrating and shaking as if all the cyclinders were not firing, the engine has 126,000km(82,000miles) and about 2700 hrs on the engine, and I am unfortunately outside of my warranty. I am hearing horror stories about what could be wrong, just curious if anyone else out there has experienced this?

Clyde.Hestur

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
It was(is) a 2016. Dealership just called, needs a new engine, they didn't even diagnose it, they found metal shavings in the oil and they have seen this type of problem before. $20,000 to replace it at the dealership. FML

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
It was(is) a 2016. Dealership just called, needs a new engine, they didn't even diagnose it, they found metal shavings in the oil and they have seen this type of problem before. $20,000 to replace it at the dealership. FML

Call FCA and ask for help to just see what they say, it doesn't hurt. I wouldn't spend the money at the dealer if you do fix it.. I would suggest a used engine from a place like co-part.com and then find a local mechanic that will swap them for you. You'll be out much cheaper... then trade it in.

Clyde.Hestur

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
I appreciate the response BoostN. I am looking into used engines and private shops to do the swap. The dealership is also looking into some sort of financing situation with what I owe still on it versus the trade in value. Definitely won't be dropping $20k at the dealership. I will try the FCA route and see it gets me anywhere, highly doubt it thought.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
It's a shame how these motors just blow up, and the customer is out gobs of money to just get it running again. I know it can happen to anything, but it's way to common on the EcoDiesel.. my stance is this, if your truck is out of warranty I would consider selling it to avoid this kind of cost.

Clyde.Hestur

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
Its out of warranty, and I still owe $33k on it. So either way I am going to get f**ked.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Labor rate is about 2.200 engine about 6.000 so is the rest a tip ????

Clyde.Hestur

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
I have a rough quote from a private shop a friend knows for $13,000 CAD. I'm the one getting the tip with no lube in both scenarios.

Clyde.Hestur

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
Update.....

FCA came to bat and will be covering the cost of replacing the engine, I only need to pay for the labour (at warranty rate) and purchase a service contract to have my oil changes done at the dealership for the next 8 changes. So it should run me around $3000 CAD.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm not sure I like the requirements of your deal, but since you're out of warranty I guess it's better than nothing. Hopefully they get the engine in and out quick and you're back on the road soon.

Clyde.Hestur

Jul 15, 2019
Truck Year
I wasn't a huge fan of the maintenance package, but when you break it down to cost per oil change, its on par with what I was paying for an oil change anyways.

They should have it to me by the end of the week or early next week I am told.

BRAD MILLER

Mar 22, 2017
Truck Year
Last week I had to pull over and have my truck towed to the dealership, I noticed the engine was vibrating and shaking as if all the cyclinders were not firing, the engine has 126,000km(82,000miles) and about 2700 hrs on the engine, and I am unfortunately outside of my warranty. I am hearing horror stories about what could be wrong, just curious if anyone else out there has experienced this?
How are out of warranty? 5 years or 100,000.

Devonhardies

Feb 25, 2020
Truck Year
Update.....

FCA came to bat and will be covering the cost of replacing the engine, I only need to pay for the labour (at warranty rate) and purchase a service contract to have my oil changes done at the dealership for the next 8 changes. So it should run me around $3000 CAD.

Could you update me with how you dealt with this situation and had FCA help you post warranty? I’m fighting the same issue with my ED. Thanks!

Waggie

Jan 25, 2016
Truck Year
Going through the same thing right now, fortunately I'm still in warranty, but they are balking at it because it took me some time to find service receipts and I did some oil changes on my own. Hopefully hear back today.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
The best advice is get the oil changed at a reputable place that has you registered on the date with mileage and what oil and filter used. My cousin had lucked out, the dealer claimed he didn’t use their service ever for oil changes and didn’t want to help him with his warranty claim. He took his vehicle to one of those 10 minute oil change places and the warranty covered his engine. He only paid the $100.00 co-pay. Not every car dealer will go up to bat for their customers as they play along with the corporate red tape.