• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 ecodiesel exhaust filter full

Dale Hicks

Jan 24, 2018
Truck Year
Hello everyone! I'm new to the diesel world. I'm truck has 58k miles on it and just took it to the dealer for a low boost fault which came up as a electronic throttle control fault. They didn't take it right away so I drove it to work for about a week before my appointment and then got exhaust filter %100 full. The cause of the low boost was it was iced up and they were able to clear that alarm. They said I could just drive the truck to clean the exhaust filter so I took it on the express way for about an hour. I never seen an exhaust regeneration message nor have I ever while driving this vehicle. Normal speed is around 70-75 mph. After the hour it still read filter %100 full. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

John

Nov 13, 2015
Probably reached 100% due to the low boost fault as certain codes will prevent the regen.

Explain to your dealer that the only way to fix the 100% full is for them to perform a "forced regen" with their WiTech tool.

If you keep driving it at 100% you will likely go into limp mode.

Some of these dealers amaze me at their lack of knowledge.

Dale Hicks

Jan 24, 2018
Truck Year
Thank you all for the input. Back to the dealer it Goes

So the dealer said I could leave it there for a couple days " this is under warranty" they wouldn't give me a rental so I took it to a regular shop and just had them do the forced Regen. As mentioned in a reply it's amazing how little a dealership knows. The mechanic said he gets dealer cars that they can't fix.I noticed after the dealer cleared my electronic throttle control fault that the truck ran below 2k rpm on the expressway and my gas mileage was alot better with the exhaust filter full. Now that it's not full my truck almost runs at 2 k rpm on the expressway. I can't help but wonder if it's always regenerating on the expressway and that's why I've never seen it go into Regen mode as I'm always on the expressway. Also I wonder if I manually shifted down so my rpm is at 2k if it would have cleared itself as when I took it to clear it I was only at 1.5 k rpm as mentioned above. Any thoughts?

John

Nov 13, 2015
It will never clear itself once it reaches the 100%.

Here's something concerning the process I saw on a jeep ecodiesel page. It's the same for the ram.

Active = fuel is injected into the exhaust stroke strictly for the purpose of increasing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) in order to get to the temperature necessary to burn the soot out of the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Your truck will regenerate (active) when the DPF soot level reaches 65%. This will likely occur every 100-300 miles. You will only see the notice on the EVIC if the soot level reaches 80-90% due to uncompleted regens.

Active self-regeneration occurs when there is not sufficient heat in the exhaust to convert all the carbon being collected in the DPF. Exhaust temperatures are raised by injecting a small amount of fuel upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter.

The resulting chemical reaction over the DOC raises exhaust gas temperatures high enough to oxidize the carbon from the filter. This is all done without any operator intervention.

Passive = the engine is working hard enough under its own power that the EGT's are hot enough to keep the regeneration of the DPF in process, there is no extra fuel burned as it is not necessary.

Based on my observations, you will not see EGT’s hot enough for passive regeneration at unloaded highway speeds. The EGT’s are actually quite low when cruising on the highway unless you are towing a heavy load or are carrying a full payload.

The truck's programming will make many repeated attempts to regenerate the DPF, from a high soot mass level of 65% down to <10% when a cycle is complete. If your trip is too short and the engine is then shut off, or the truck is put in park with the engine idling, an active regeneration process stops (at whatever soot level the DPF is at). The next drive cycle when the DPF again reaches 65% soot mass the whole process starts all over again. If you are going on a road trip the complete cycle will happen many times over...up to 65%...regen...down to <10%...over and over again.

The Hunter

Mar 14, 2016
Truck Year
Before we lost Ecodiesel Shaun he had a video on his exhaust filter getting plugged and he tried several brands of additive to see if it would clean it and Hot Shots Secret ended up working for him. I try to use it occasionally to help mine.

Michael J Sulski

Dec 23, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks for the info, my truck said nothing until it was 90 per cent. The next time I started the truck I was going to take a drive down the highway then it said was 100 per cent and went into limp mode.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

Hm Bacon

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
I realize this thread was started a year ago but thought I would add my experience for others.

I was at Lake Seminole, GA, just north of Mexico Beach, FL when Hurricane Michael came through. I should have parked my truck away from any trees because 100 mph winds bring them down. In this area at least 80% of the big pines and hardwoods (12 plus inches in diameter) came down. A few limbs and the wind driven debris dented every surface of my ecco diesel. I finally took it into the body shop in November where it sat for 8 weeks. Before that I was driving it about 1200 miles a week, mostly highway speeds. When I picked it up from the body shop they left it running the whole time I was inspecting it. That should have been a red flag but I didn't challenge it. I went to work and when I cranked the truck to go to lunch the check engine light was on. It had no codes when they started work. I took it back in and they thought they had it fixed but they didn't understand that a DTC is not ussually registered the first time but the second time it is started. The DTC was PO428, Catalyst Temp Sensor Circuit High Bank 1. I figured I would get it fixed soon but I commute 134 miles every weekday and don't have a lot of time but I made an appointment. The earliest appointment I could get was over 2 weeks out. I figured it would be okay but I had a bad feeling.

I drove home and on the way back to work, after about 100 miles, i received the dreaded, "Carbon Filter 100% Full. Contact dealer." I contacted the local service department and they said I could drive it across town to work as long as I had normal power. I then had the truck towed to the dealer and they said it would be 7 working days before they could even look at it. I asked if it would be covered by warranty and he said it depends. It could be bad DEF and I said I filled up at a truck stop so I don't think so. He said, "NO don't buy it at the truck stop, the big rigs use a higher concentration." That bothered me because I have never seen DEF labeled for small trucks or big rigs. I did my research and sure enough, DEF is certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API) and a truck stop is not going to sell uncertified DEF. Besides, what does DEF have to do the the temp sensor or the carbon filter? My theory is that the filter was not regenned because of the DTC code.

Service Managers shouldn't talk about topics they don't have the training for. I did not trust that dealer and, maybe I shouldn't have, but I drove my truck another 42 miles to another dealer with the 100% full warning. They were also busy and they have not looked at it yet. I will call them tomorrow and see what they have to say. Several people said this dealer has a good reputation and I pray that is true. I will post the rest of my story when I find out more.

oilburner

Jan 21, 2019
Truck Year
Hi,
there is no difference in concentration of DEF from the jugs, or from a truck stop, so yes, that dealer is full of it

The DEF is injected into the SCR, to reduce NOx emission, the DPF is what is blocked with carbon when the dash tells you it is full, so the def really has nothing to do with DPF being full.

In my experience there are lots of things that will put the truck into limp home mode, and give you the message "service electronic throttle" that is just a generic message that means that it is in limp home mode. The most common code I have found that puts into limp home is the low turbo boost, which I am convinced can just be an erroneous message with no real problem.

when the truck is in limp home mode, and you continue to drive much, it seems the truck over fuels, but doesn't allow the turbo to provide much boost, so it gets poor milage, and makes a bunch of smoke that fills up the DPF

Just my experience. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken

Joe

Hm Bacon

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
UPDATE
My truck has been at the dealer for almost 2 weeks. They replaced the catalyst sensor but that didn't fix the problem. They traced wires for several days and when I called yesterday (Friday) it sounded like all they had left to do was force a regen. I will go by on Monday and get the details. It sounds like the body shop, who took every non sheet metal part off of the truck (bumpers with park sense, grill and all external lights) the must have buggered something. I will post more details after I get the truck back. After 8 weeks in the body shop and 3 weeks at two dealers I am ready to get back in my ride.

Hm Bacon

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
FINAL UPDATE
After the dealer realized they were troubleshooting the wrong sensor, they replaced the bad one and all is well. They evidently did both a force regen and drove it to get the % below 65. Not really sure what order they actually performed the tasks.

I guess it was just my imagination but it seemed sluggish and my fuel economy was low. After two days of commuting 1 hour highway and 30 minutes city the performance seems to be normal and the fuel econnomy seems better, 27.9.

I did have one odd thing happen. The dash display was fine except the Fuel Economy screen, the one with the meter showing instantaneous MPG, average MPG display and fuel range. It was blank. I figured maybe it needed some calibration but after 100 miles it was still blank. So I decided to see what I could do. I selected the Fuel Economy screen and pushed the left arrow button. My dash went into pre-start check mode and all my guages went full scale/min scale and most of the warning lights lit up. After a second of panic I realized the truck was still running without a problem. After the wild gyrations, it went to Trip A screen, the next one down. Like an idiot I went back, pushed the left button and saw the same response. The third time I pushed the right button and the Fuel Economy went back to normal. Pushing the left button just displayed and un-displayed the digital indicator for instantaneous MPG's. Everything seems back to normal after almost 300 miles.

Angelaj67

Feb 19, 2019
Truck Year
FINAL UPDATE
After the dealer realized they were troubleshooting the wrong sensor, they replaced the bad one and all is well. They evidently did both a force regen and drove it to get the % below 65. Not really sure what order they actually performed the tasks.

I guess it was just my imagination but it seemed sluggish and my fuel economy was low. After two days of commuting 1 hour highway and 30 minutes city the performance seems to be normal and the fuel econnomy seems better, 27.9.

I did have one odd thing happen. The dash display was fine except the Fuel Economy screen, the one with the meter showing instantaneous MPG, average MPG display and fuel range. It was blank. I figured maybe it needed some calibration but after 100 miles it was still blank. So I decided to see what I could do. I selected the Fuel Economy screen and pushed the left arrow button. My dash went into pre-start check mode and all my guages went full scale/min scale and most of the warning lights lit up. After a second of panic I realized the truck was still running without a problem. After the wild gyrations, it went to Trip A screen, the next one down. Like an idiot I went back, pushed the left button and saw the same response. The third time I pushed the right button and the Fuel Economy went back to normal. Pushing the left button just displayed and un-displayed the digital indicator for instantaneous MPG's. Everything seems back to normal after almost 300 miles.
what sensor did they have to replace if you dont mind me asking? I have had to do a regen 2 times already and now i have a code saying i need to replace the particulate matter sensor