• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 ecodiesel failure

scratch66

Mar 5, 2020
Truck Year
Engine failure at 88K on a 2016 Ram. started tapping then went to hard knocking for just a couple minutes, seized and wont turn over. At the shop now being torn down but hopefully hear back today on the diagnosis. I have an Alpha Priority One warranty-, having just bought the truck back in April of '19.
I've read the posts about potential cam gear slippage. Any other thoughts/experiences from anyone would be appreciated- especially pertaining to my odds of the warranty helping me or killing me ( I already expect the latter based on reviews). Thanks!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Hope Fiat step's up, if its under the 5 Year date it be covered? and originated in America, The down side is the Engine out of production so its likely to be Reman or Long Block.

Caveman

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
Mine
Engine failure at 88K on a 2016 Ram. started tapping then went to hard knocking for just a couple minutes, seized and wont turn over. At the shop now being torn down but hopefully hear back today on the diagnosis. I have an Alpha Priority One warranty-, having just bought the truck back in April of '19.
I've read the posts about potential cam gear slippage. Any other thoughts/experiences from anyone would be appreciated- especially pertaining to my odds of the warranty helping me or killing me ( I already expect the latter based on reviews). Thanks!
sorry to hear.... mine did this 7 days ago . The exact same thing . I’m waiting to hear back . 2016 ram ecodiesel original owner . 105000 km just over warranty .

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
I have a lower rattle in the engine that vibrates by the pedal. The service manager said it’s not covered by the warranty but I said this is covered by Max care 100,000 and AEM software update so it doesn’t matter what you say. Dealerships are notorious for giving misinformation. You have to follow up. Keep hitting them with the issue.

scratch66

Mar 5, 2020
Truck Year
Good to hear from you all- thanks for the positivity. Sorry to hear about yours, Caveman. I did get a call yesterday from the mechanic; said he found broken rod bolts but so far, no "lube" concerns or issues with bearings and such. It all looked good. The extra kick in the butt for him/us was having to pull both the trans and the cab just to get the motor out. Unreal design!! Keep ya'll posted

scratch66

Mar 5, 2020
Truck Year
Wow! Good for you. Maybe there is some hope for us, afterall. Let me know which/where they find motor. Curious. Thanks

scratch66

Mar 5, 2020
Truck Year
Nice! Let me know if you see any difference in power, mpg, etc.
Still waiting on warranty folks but they say its moving forward.

scratch66

Mar 5, 2020
Truck Year
Well, after a 5 weeks now sitting disassembled in a shop, Alpha warranty finally gave the green light on replacing the motor. Tried to get a used one to no avail so now have ordered a re-man.
Said 2 weeks to get it.
At least we are moving forward instead of stagnant! Oh, FYI they only authorize $35/day toward a rental car and base the car on the "20 hours" it takes to replace the engine.
2 days!! Great...that really helps...not. I'll see almost 2 months by the time its over, I'm sure.

Rfaircloth40

Jun 14, 2019
Truck Year
Purchased used 2016 Limited 11/2017, truck had just over 14,000 miles. Enjoyed the EcoDiesel performance and fuel milage until the Emissions recall was applied on 7/9/2019. The very next morning I notice the power lost and shifting problems until the truck was completely warmed up. I live in Las Vegas, NV so it does not get very cold. After a month or so I also noticed the lost in fuel mileage, I went from 26 highway to 23 to 24 and city driving went from 24 to 22. I took the truck back to the local dealer several time with the response, Sorry there is nothing we can do, contact FCA. So at the beginning of 8/2019 I contacted FCA, who quickly said to take the truck back to the dealer. On 9/26/2019 I took the truck back to the dealer who first questioned, "What are we supposed to do". I told them that FCA requested that I return the truck and that they were supposed to contact FCA. After receiving many reports from my Service Advisor of the many test requested by FCA, I was told on 9/30/2019 that FCA was replacing my engine which had 51,453 miles on the motor. The truck was ready for pickup on Wednesday 9/4/2019. The description on the invoice stated "compression low on cylinder #2 at 100psi, advised replace complete engine". The engine part number was 5158048AF, does anyone know if this is an upgraded or better replacement than what originally came with the truck? While I am pleased with how fast FCA and the local dealer responded to the issue, I still have the poor response when the engine is not at normal temperature and lower fuel mileage.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Purchased used 2016 Limited 11/2017, truck had just over 14,000 miles. Enjoyed the EcoDiesel performance and fuel milage until the Emissions recall was applied on 7/9/2019. The very next morning I notice the power lost and shifting problems until the truck was completely warmed up. I live in Las Vegas, NV so it does not get very cold. After a month or so I also noticed the lost in fuel mileage, I went from 26 highway to 23 to 24 and city driving went from 24 to 22. I took the truck back to the local dealer several time with the response, Sorry there is nothing we can do, contact FCA. So at the beginning of 8/2019 I contacted FCA, who quickly said to take the truck back to the dealer. On 9/26/2019 I took the truck back to the dealer who first questioned, "What are we supposed to do". I told them that FCA requested that I return the truck and that they were supposed to contact FCA. After receiving many reports from my Service Advisor of the many test requested by FCA, I was told on 9/30/2019 that FCA was replacing my engine which had 51,453 miles on the motor. The truck was ready for pickup on Wednesday 9/4/2019. The description on the invoice stated "compression low on cylinder #2 at 100psi, advised replace complete engine". The engine part number was 5158048AF, does anyone know if this is an upgraded or better replacement than what originally came with the truck? While I am pleased with how fast FCA and the local dealer responded to the issue, I still have the poor response when the engine is not at normal temperature and lower fuel mileage.
Wow, you really came out smelling like a rose compare to some of the horror stories.

scratch66

Mar 5, 2020
Truck Year
Found out friday that the warranty company had to order a "new" motor as the reman was no longer available when they tried to order it. Stopped at the shop Friday to see the motor when it arrived; complete motor in a box! New turbo, oil cooler, etc all the way down the new dipstick. Nothing required from old motor, as it appears. Havent seen numbers yet to see what it is exactly (upgrades/bugs out??) But hoping for numbers today from mechanic.
No word on warranty company honoring my deductible but I still expect a good hosing from small print extras. Fingers crossed!!