• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 towing capacity

ljh

Jan 10, 2017
Have a 2016 eco-diesel without the 392 axle towing ratio; I use my truck to tow a RV with a total weight of about 6700 pounds. My truck has heavy duty coil springs in the rear and I’ve installed airbags as well. It seems to handle well and I can pull up most hills at 100kph without loosing my speed- rpms reach about 3000 when I do so. Even though everything seems fine now I’m a bit anxious about how my truck will do in the future since I would like to
keep it for a long time.
Appreciate any advice from those with more experience and knowledge than I do about this engine’s long term performance with this load
ljh

B. Smith

Feb 20, 2018
Truck Year
If doing a lot of towing, I'd suggest GDE trans tune. Love the way my truck tows with the engine and transmission tuned by GDE. With great customer support too. ✌️

earlymopar

May 1, 2019
Truck Year
Is the GDE "trans tune" an option on their re-programmed controller? Do you know what the "tune" is or does? When I purchased my controller from them I remember getting a transmission braking option but don't recall anything else being offered.

- EM

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Long term ownership will require Tuning, You will also need to share details on current truck maintenance, and AEM status.

B. Smith

Feb 20, 2018
Truck Year
Eliminates 2-1 downshift hesitation at low speed tip-in maneuvers (i.e. rolling stop sign re-acceleration)
• Upshifts earlier in all conditions for improved fuel economy.
• Downshift criteria revamped to best utilize engine torque curve and stay in each gear longer.
• Hill mode optimization to prevent gear hunting
• Refinement on shift scheduling in altitude to provide better engine responsiveness
• Revamped warm-up mode scheduling to provide faster engine warmup (i.e. 1-2 gears lower compared to normal shift maps)
• Increased minimum engine speed after upshift during DPF regeneration for better regen efficiency (this feature will only appear with the GDE Hot Tune installed in ECM).
• Eliminated shift schedule offset based on steering wheel angle to give better continuity of powertrain presence.
• All new tow/haul mode scheduling for maintaining best engine speed range during trailering.
• More use of converter lockup and reduced slip rates to reduce tranny fluid heat load and improve fuel economy.
• More linear response in shifting in medium/high load.
• The shift speeds are quicker and torque response optimized.
• Positive torque requests enabled during downshifts at lower engine speeds for smoother and quicker shifts.
• Torque management maps calibrated for proper clutch control in high output applications (i.e. GDE Turbo Kit, etc), and positive torque enabled during closed throttle downshifts for improved shift comfort
• Highway passing downshifts are sharper and torque is immediate.
• Holds gear better while towing and less hunting on grades.
• Raised absolute input torque limits to enable full torque capacity of GDE Turbo Kit
• Ram vehicles now feature our GearCommand™ feature letting the (+) and (-) buttons on steering wheel to command up- and down-shifts when pressed instead of setting max allowed gear.
• Enables 2nd gear launch from a stop using wheel buttons (Ram) or steering wheel paddles