• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 with 68k miles just died on me

norcalnoob

Oct 27, 2022
Truck Year
I'm beyond furious. After all of the recalls and nonsense, I was hoping that I missed the bullet on these horrible engines we were sold. Unfortunately not. With only 68,126 miles on a truck that I've religiously maintained and kept unaltered, at 7a outside of San Jose I heard an odd rattle. Turned down the radio to hear better and suddenly lost all power on the freeway. Engine doesn't turn over, totally locked.

My mechanic just took a quick peak and it appears I have a seized engine. I'm out of the 5 year window so am assuming FCA won't do the right thing here and I'm looking at either scrapping the truck (painful and unacceptable for a truck with such low mileage and usage) or buying a new engine? Is there any hope here?

T Bone

Oct 27, 2016
Truck Year
I'm beyond furious. After all of the recalls and nonsense, I was hoping that I missed the bullet on these horrible engines we were sold. Unfortunately not. With only 68,126 miles on a truck that I've religiously maintained and kept unaltered, at 7a outside of San Jose I heard an odd rattle. Turned down the radio to hear better and suddenly lost all power on the freeway. Engine doesn't turn over, totally locked.

My mechanic just took a quick peak and it appears I have a seized engine. I'm out of the 5 year window so am assuming FCA won't do the right thing here and I'm looking at either scrapping the truck (painful and unacceptable for a truck with such low mileage and usage) or buying a new engine? Is there any hope here?
The extended warranties on power train due to recalls might cover the engine replacement. Check with FCA.
Good luck.

norcalnoob

Oct 27, 2022
Truck Year
Update 11/3
Yep, it was a failure of the main bearing so needs a new engine. Per the dealership the recalls did not extend the warranties on the main block, so I was quoted $21k for install of a new engine and it's on national backorder.

Have escalated to FCA so wish me luck.

T Bone

Oct 27, 2016
Truck Year
Hey. I just read the AEM extended warranty letter from the second update and it states the warranty is extended to 11yrs or 120k miles. Then the last letter stated 11yrs or132k miles.
Fyi.

Last edited:

norcalnoob

Oct 27, 2022
Truck Year
Correct but it states in the coverage that “…camshaft and other components of the assembly are not covered”.

T Bone

Oct 27, 2016
Truck Year
Hmm. I wish you luck when talking to FCA.
Proof of oil changes and maybe oil analysis might prove it wasn't due to lubrication. If it's assembly. Then that's on them.
Good luck.

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
Tell the dealership that if FCA will not replace the motor under a goodwill replacement, you will sue them. The dealership will pass this on to FCA. If FCA refuses to replace the motor go on the internet in the state where you brought the truck in and type in "LEMON LAW ATTORNEY". Find a firm that specializes in the lemon law and read their reviews and find the best Lemon Law attorney and call them. You will need to send in all your repair slips etc. and they will review them. They will likely take the case. You pay them nothing, they will get their fee from FCA.

I had the same problem and when I mentioned Lemon Law and lawsuit, FCA agreed to replace the motor for free even though the truck was out of warranty. On top of that, I got a loaner vehicle for free as it took them 3 months to get the replacement motor. It doesn't matter if the truck is out of warranty, there are federal statutes regarding federal warranty laws that come into play that supersede the vehicle warranty. Don't back down and be forceful. If they won't do it under goodwill for free, contact a real good Lemon Law attorney.

FCA wants to put the 3.0 Eco Diesel issue to bed without having a mass class action lawsuit filed against them so they are willing to work with consumers but you have to be forceful and don't take no for an answer and be willing to sue them. I hope this helps and good luck.

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
We might have the lowest miles failure - 48K kms or just under 30K miles. 2015 and no help from FCA
Not sure what to do, used motor is only option. Or long block, no turbo $$$$

biggrits21

Nov 24, 2019
Truck Year

You aren't alone 2015 Outdoorsman
90 k motor ceased.
I dropped the oil pan and it's full of metal.
I ll never buy nothing Ram again.

biggrits21

Nov 24, 2019
Truck Year

You aren't alone 2015 Outdoorsman
90 k motor ceased.
I dropped the oil pan and it's full of metal.
I ll never buy nothing Ram again
The extended warranties on power train due to recalls might cover the engine replacement. Check with FCA.
Good luck.
No they won't cover it. FCA just wants to forget about the eco.

biggrits21

Nov 24, 2019
Truck Year
Hey. I just read the AEM extended warranty letter from the second update and it states the warranty is extended to 11yrs or 120k miles. Then the last letter stated 11yrs or132k miles.
Fyi.
Yes but it doesn't cover the main bearings. Basically covers everything emissions related.