• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016Eco engine failure 46k

Dboosk

Jul 17, 2020
Truck Year
Hey everyone, first time posting :)

Unfortunately my first post is detailing how my motor ended it’s short life a few months after I bought the truck.

Bought the truck in April with 43,000 on it.
2016 ecodiesel bighorn. Drove it home a few hundred miles and averaged 26.4 mpg. Truck was awesome for a few weeks until around Father’s Day I noticed my fuel economy was down to around 22-23mpg. Figured it was somehow weather related. On June 27th I got a “low oil pressure” message while getting off the interstate coming to a stop. When I have some throttle the oil pressure blipped up to normal. No engine light or strange noises. I pulled over and called the dealer. They said it sounds like a sensor since there’s no CEL or noises and the problem is corrected with a little throttle. They said it’s ok to drive it to them about 20 miles away, so I did.

Heard back from them that the issue was a oil pressure switch, and that it was $280 for them to do the work. I asked if I was covered and ok to bring the truck home and do it myself since the part is like $58- they said sure. While the truck was there I had them do the EGR recall and flash.
On 6/30/2020, About 5 miles down the road After picking up the truck shuddered while taking off from a stop light for about 2 seconds but got up and rolling down the hill. Then a few seconds later the info system alerted me “oil change required” and immediately sounded like marbles in my motor with pretty heavy vibration so I pulled over and cut the power. There was a trail of oil from where I had been driving to where I had stopped there was a large puddle of oil. Obviously I knew the engine was gone but wanted to check a few things and noticed the oil dipstick had more oil on it than when I had last check a few days before- even though about a gallon was on the ground. The coolant seemed fine in color but might have been a touch low. It looked like the oil was pouring out from the sides of the oil pan, like the seal was gone. I called the dealer and they were very sympathetic and hooked me up with a free tow and a loaner ram 1500 hemi while we figure things out.

The dealer and I spoke a few times the next few days but on 7/6 they called and said it was fully covered under warranty and they motor was already ordered on 7/4.

The motor arrived earlier than expected on 7/10.

On 7/15 I got a call an was told the motor was installed and the truck had passed its two test drives. The motor part number was 5158048AD. The truck had 46707 miles when I picked it up and seems to be running really well. It sounds a lot different than the other motor. Seems to run quieter and idle faster than before. This process was pretty nerve racking initially but the dealer has been nothing be a life saver and very sympathetic to this issue. Now I have the new motor and the option to extend my warranty 4 year 48,000 miles for $2,800.

Does anyone know if the new crate motors are still prone to failure with the part number 5158048AD installed in July 2020?

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
Oh man! That is crazy. I am in a very similar situation ( with the exception of the engine blowing out...). I just bought a ‘16 longhorn with 40k miles a month ago. I got a GDE tune and egr recall within the first 2 weeks. I’m hoping that it all works out.... good luck with your rig.

PaulR

Jul 1, 2020
Truck Year
Get the extended warranty. My 2014 Eco diesel died on June 10, 2020 at 56,600 mi. I was past the warranty time not mileage. Cost me $14,500.00. The new engine runs great but I will most likely not keep it past the 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Once bit- twice shy!

Reactions: Mac