• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 Problems??

Creep0321

Nov 22, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hey all, first post here. I am considering purchasing a leftover 2018 ecodiesel Laramie 4x4 when I return to the states (been living in Europe for bit). Are the FCA engine problems still an issue with the 17-18 model years? I never read about a specific fix, but any thing I find specifies 14-16 were affected.

Georgek

Oct 3, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have the 2018 just turned 3000 miles. No engine problems at all. Just got oil, filter and fumoto valve. Planning on oil change and sample testing in the next 500 miles.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Hey all, first post here. I am considering purchasing a leftover 2018 ecodiesel Laramie 4x4 when I return to the states (been living in Europe for bit). Are the FCA engine problems still an issue with the 17-18 model years? I never read about a specific fix, but any thing I find specifies 14-16 were affected.

No, Its simple the motor is Hero / Zero Build. Most OK with some above normal care and driving habits, But its all relative if your the unlucky owner that gets a puker.

There are big discounts on 2018 leftovers, In long term ownership IMO its not worth the risk... Some decision is planned in DEC 18 on the DOJ /EPA case. If precedence is followed FCA will be buying back 2014-16 with owners option to keep. If this happens you can plan on the ED value to diminish greatly overnight.

Rumor has it New Engine in Late 2019.

I've so far have had 2 major engine repairs done on My 2015, last one $2500.00 the other $2xxx.00 in 44K miles. Covered under Warranty, My relationship to FCA is considerably different than most owners.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Define hero/zero build? Thanks
Great engine if you get a good one, not so good if you get a bad one. I don't think FCA has made any improvements to date as all model year Ecodiesels are experiencing failures to a certain degree. Rumor has it the 2019 model will incorporate bottom end improvements.

Creep0321

Nov 22, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Basically I’m contemplating an 18’ ED, or hemi, or a 19’ hemi etorque, or a used 2500 Cummins, advice??? I’ve been living in Europe for he past few years after getting rid of my 07’ Hemi 1500.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I took 2019 ETQ Limited from the dealership for 5 Days while they worked on mine, The ETQ is amazing ,Its not like Stop Start,, it rolling before you touch the go pedal, the 300 miles I put on Avg 15.6 MPG City/Hwy mixed..

Creep0321 how much towing and what trailer GVW?

Creep0321

Nov 22, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Limited towing/hauling at first. But I’m the next year or two the wife wants to get a travel trailer (26’ at most). I love everything I read about the ED, especially the gam mileage. My commute from home to work will be about 20 mile drive, 16 of that on the highway. When the family and I move back to the states, we will need a vehicle quickly (we are shipping hers back) so I like the idea of ordering new and having it waiting for me (military autosource maybe?) rather than searching for one in the first few days back.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I wouldn't consider a 1/2 for any trailer over 6000LBS and/or any Van trailer over 20'.

Creep0321

Nov 22, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
So definitely a 2500? Even if it’s only used 1 time every 2 months?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yes, If you go beyond safe level(s)....Now what are safe level(s)? Are you going to be pulling at speeds above 55/65MPH , Pulling grades, what about stopping?. You are ALWAYS better off with more Pulling Iron than Trailer.

Creep0321

Nov 22, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I don’t disagree there. I’m just trying to figure out if the price jump is worth the towing 5-6 times a year. Isn’t the hemi rates at close to 8,000 with the 3.21 ratio?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The 1/2 is just NOT enough Iron to pull 8000LBS, People do all the Time.
Raymond-crash.jpg

jcole108

Apr 12, 2016
Truck Year
Creep, I have a 2016 Eco with 53000 miles and not one single problem. I did put the GDE upgrade in when I had 1500 miles. My mileage is between 30 and 33 miles per gallon. I do a mix of city and hwy everyday to work (about 45 miles). In the summer time I tow my 3000 lbs boat every chance I get and the mileage goes down to about 24 to 26 depending on distance. The only complaint I have is the price of the recommended oil. I change my own and it is still about $60 to $80 depending on sales.

Craig Hopkins

Jan 5, 2016
Truck Year
TC Diesel, not sure i like the news about the court case. I have a 2014 that had engine replacement at 55K now at 77K. I don't have the confidence in the truck anymore and I have been a Mopar freak for the last 50 years. Am looking for a used 6.7 as we are about to start a new season and have upsized our catering trailer. So if you are correct and the bottom falls out of the market $ wise I guess I will need to ditch this thing soon rather than later. Appreciate the info

JimThompson

Apr 24, 2018
Truck Year
Other than some strange codes accompanied with acute loss of power no problems on my 2015. I am using 10W40 full synthetic T6 from Wally World at $55. +/- 2.5 gallons (10 qts) with no concerns.

DonD49

Jul 23, 2017
Truck Year
I'm on my 2nd one (1st was a company truck). I wouldn't buy another one on a bet. My current ride is a 16 model bought 'certified' with 24,000 miles on it. Went into limp mode the day after I got it home and has done so 2 more times since. I was a national sales mgr in my previous career and logged more than 1 1/2 million miles on company trucks plus whatever I ran up on my personal ones. In all that time, ALL THE VEHICLES I HAD put together spent less time in the shop than this POS and left me stranded fewer times as well.
I've had electrical glitches that come and go - including a radio that sometimes cannot be turned off, auto window up that sometimes won't work (they replaced a cable but the problem popped up again a few months later), heater that sometimes won't come on, AC that sometimes won't come on, buttons on the steering wheel that sometimes call up things that weren't what I pushed the button for and so on.
RAM customer service is a joke; I won't go into detail but they're pretty much completely incompetent.
The headlights are absolutely awful on the dim setting.
And what kind of idiot designs a vehicle where the radio comes on after the system boots every single time you start the truck regardless of its status when you turned it off?

BJE

Feb 18, 2017
Truck Year
I am approaching 40k on my 2016 with out a single issue so far, and loving the MPGs...I will be very upset however if there is a significant devaluation due to a DOJ/FCA settlement.

computerdiehard

Jun 8, 2017
Truck Year

I have a 2016 Limited with Banks Derringer Tune and S&B Cold Air Intake. Stock the truck runs like a dog but not it runs like a hemi and can smoke them. The 14s and the 15s are the only ones that I am aware that had any issues. I have 44k miles on mine with no issues and have had the tuner on installed for 30k miles. I drive my truck hard like spin the tires every time I take off. I average 20 mpg in the city and I average 28 to 32 mpg on the highway depending on hills, on the flat road its 32 mpg. I would highly recommend a tune of some sort the turbo lag and the doggy 3.0L motor is enough to get you into a wreck if you pull out into traffic and have to wait 5 or 10 seconds for the turbo to spool up to go.

Roland

Mar 29, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2016 if your towing I would recommend the 3.92 gears if your pulling around 6000lbs. Sure this truck is rated for more but I think you should never max out your towing ratings in any truck. I would not go over the 75% rating of this truck. I pull around 6000lbs and I feel comfortable doing it. Just watch your temps and drive accordingly. I go no more than 65 mph. Around 62 mph is a sweet spot for this truck. Sure there was some engine failures early builds. I was informed it was a quality control fault on the torque of camshaft gears. And happened in the first 40k of mileage. Look into a gde tune to turn off the demonic egr that soots up this motor. The factory tune is so restricting due to emissions. The gde tune seems to iron out some of these issues. This truck has exceeded my expectations. Enjoy the eco