• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2019 20k "hiccup" on acceleration?

FarmerBob

Mar 21, 2023
Truck Year
-2019 ram classic tradesman 4x4, 20k
-SFKT stage 2 tune w/ transmission
-Scheduled for the HPFP recall fix w/ two separate dealers, but I'm being told there isn't an official fix yet?
-Running clean diesel from QT and added stabil to second tank (maybe helps lubricity?)
Truck has had this strange "hiccup" under acceleration three times now. Always when its cold out (~20-30 F). Engine is accelerating fine and will suddenly stop for about 1 second (feels kind of violent) and then pick right back up where it left off accelerating. Dash lights will indicate the battery and I think the glow plug light (it happens so fast I cannot confirm that the second orang light is the glow plug light). I know this sounds crazy, but I kind of feel like its happening about 15-20 seconds after turning on the heat?
Anyone got any ideas what this could be? I've read through several threads and found some similar, but not sure if they are the same...

Korsch

Dec 29, 2018
Truck Year
I’ve had a glow plug go bad on me on my Ecodiesel lucky it was 20°c out but it didn’t have any hiccups like this. Glow plus are mainly for starting. I’m interested in this subject because I’ve had this kinda happen to me once as well kinda like you described except no check engine lights. Truck was kinda cold (Trans 15°c & coolant 25°c) outside temp was -20°c, I dove out the driveway and done the road slow. I stopped at the stop sign and turned right, when I gave it throttle it was supper sluggish and kinda didn’t want to switch gears, after 3-4 min of driving shifting was ok but the turbo was back spoiling hard on gear shifts. Got the engine warm (trans 85°c & coolant 105°c) and had no issues.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
-2019 ram classic tradesman 4x4, 20k
-SFKT stage 2 tune w/ transmission
-Scheduled for the HPFP recall fix w/ two separate dealers, but I'm being told there isn't an official fix yet?
-Running clean diesel from QT and added stabil to second tank (maybe helps lubricity?)
Truck has had this strange "hiccup" under acceleration three times now. Always when its cold out (~20-30 F). Engine is accelerating fine and will suddenly stop for about 1 second (feels kind of violent) and then pick right back up where it left off accelerating. Dash lights will indicate the battery and I think the glow plug light (it happens so fast I cannot confirm that the second orang light is the glow plug light). I know this sounds crazy, but I kind of feel like its happening about 15-20 seconds after turning on the heat?
Anyone got any ideas what this could be? I've read through several threads and found some similar, but not sure if they are the same...
Welcome to the forum
I don't have any suggestions, just a couple of comments.

The new HPFP pump is not yet available. I read where it is coming on the latest 2023s. If that's true it should be available to us soon. I'm hearing 3rd Qtr 2023.

Stabil is a fuel stabilizer but they have one additive that contains lubricity, STA-BIL Diesel All-Season.
I suggest you use Hotshots' product as it may have better properties, it's been very popular.

Good luck on the hiccuping, maybe an expert will chime in with good advice

Leatherwood

Apr 12, 2023
Truck Year
Farmerbob,
My truck is currently setting at the dealership for this same issue. Started the way you described then escalated to where it would just die at times when making a stop. Recently it died and wont crank or even try. If you haven't fixed this yet I'll let you know the outcome of my situation. I do know that I lost power to the PCM as the fuse wasn't hot on either side so its believed to be ignition control module or TPIM.

FarmerBob

Mar 21, 2023
Truck Year
Farmerbob,
My truck is currently setting at the dealership for this same issue. Started the way you described then escalated to where it would just die at times when making a stop. Recently it died and wont crank or even try. If you haven't fixed this yet I'll let you know the outcome of my situation. I do know that I lost power to the PCM as the fuse wasn't hot on either side so its believed to be ignition control module or TPIM.
It hasn't happened again since I posted on here. I have looked at the dash a little bit more and didn't realize that the indicator lights change (pixilated lcd type screen). After realizing that and thinking back, I think the orange indicator that was flashing was an exhaust fault indicator. Probably due to the engine not running for that one second interval. I'm thinking that I need to start running a logger so that when it happens again I can catch some solid information. I've been looking online and found the OTC Infologger, but its completely out of stock or not made any more? If anyone has any suggestions on an affordable OBDII data logger I'd love to know. I'll spend a couple of hundred if I have to, but would rather not if possible...

Leatherwood

Apr 12, 2023
Truck Year
It ended up being the ecm. Ram said it but the dust and the issues of it dying for a split second on the highway, was most likely it on its way out. Toyota bought the truck back from me today and dissolved the deal. Ram said they would give me employee pricing on a new eco or 5.7L.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
It ended up being the ecm. Ram said it but the dust and the issues of it dying for a split second on the highway, was most likely it on its way out. Toyota bought the truck back from me today and dissolved the deal. Ram said they would give me employee pricing on a new eco or 5.7L.
Good for Toyoya and good for Ram. Employee price is approx 11.5% off dealer invoice, a great unusual deal. If you go for it ask to see their POC, it will show the employee price. Any legitimate dealer will show you the POC. Here is a redacted copy of my 2020 HO POC, I've added the red notes to define the headings. Let us know what you do.

Attachments

• 02c-Order-POC - JFJ Modified-Redaked.pdf
    62.1 KB · Views: 4

FarmerBob

Mar 21, 2023
Truck Year
*UPDATE: Truck did the "jerk"/shutdown again this morning. Wasn't running the heater, but did run the side mirror defrost for the first time. I'm not sure that the defrost had anything to do with it and this rules out the cabin air heating having anything to do with it either. Definitely only happens when its really cold though. I've looked into the AlphaOBD, but I can't tell if it will give me live/realtime ecu diagnostics. Can anyone verify that AlphaOBD will give me live ecu communications/diagnostics? I'm looking for some time of software to capture as much information as possible when this 1000ms blip happens. Looking for some type of signal analyzer or program editor that will show me what happens. This blip does show a couple of dash light indicators, but it happens so fast (and random) that by the time I look down the event has passed and I only see them turning off.

FarmerBob

Mar 21, 2023
Truck Year
**UPDATE-2: Pinpointed one of the fault indicator lights as the "Electronic Throttle Control". Also scanned the fault codes and have a historical P24DA. Not sure if these are related. I know this is a lot, but I've pulled useful information from threads like this in the past and hopefully this will help someone else with the same or similar problems.

FarmerBob

Mar 21, 2023
Truck Year
***UPDATE-3: Think I've ruled out the heating electrical bus. I've heard the 19+ models had some bad electrical issues and even watched that video where a ford f150 guy had the rear taillight/lidar connector cause problems in the bus (shut the truck down I think), so I was keeping that in my mind previously. Last hiccup was this morning (23' F) and nothing in the heating circuit was running. Someone had mentioned air in fuel delivery system. Maybe, but why would I be getting air bubbles/pockets only on really cold days? Water in the fuel? Also, why can a truck experience a fault so critical that the engine appears to completely stop for just a second and it not register any fault codes? I see at least two dash light indicators flash, if not three, yet when I pull the fault codes all I see is the P24DA. Is this the answer? Seems like others have had this code, but no issues with running. Is there a different/better logger I can run? I currently use the Torque Pro app and I've been logging several of the PID's. Of course I wasn't running this morning due to logging for weeks with no "hiccup".