• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Acetone fuel mix anyone?

Nomad

Aug 16, 2018
Truck Year
Yeah I know it been beaten to death on other diesel forums but not defeated. Have to keep in mind that its not a product so it isnt pushed and promoted. And acetone is in many additives, injector cleaners etc.

The other day I had my 5'er moved by a friend who has drove diesel trucks of all weights all around the usa for the last 30 years. Owner/operator. I saw a jug of acetone in his toolbox so a conversation started. He swears by it and ran tests on a fleet of 9 semi he and his dad ran some years back. The bottom line was noticeably better fuel economy to the tune of around 2mpg and no long term mechanical issues. 2mpg is significant when running thousands of miles a week. How they were able to calculate this is another question.

The truck he was towing my 5'er with was a 5.9l cummins 3500 and the engine had 760k on it. He has been running acetone thru it for a long time. 3oz per 10 gal of chemically pure product he gets at sally beauty supply. Along with a qt of atf from time to time.

He also said that when his family was in the car biz for some years down in cali they would run acetone in the gas for cars that were borderline and didnt pass smog but would on the second try once they had the acetone mix.

Anyhow my curiosity has been piqued and being a born sceptic I am going to try it out for a while. I cant find any evidence that low concentrations of acetone can hurt any rubbers, which are all made now to be resistant to about everything.

Most of the claims are anecdotal and I have only found one 'technical' article on this subject.
http://www.arizonaenergy.org/News 0... (A Study of Dimethylketone or Propanone).htm

There is a 100 mile run I am doing pretty frequently these days so I will be able to use this for testing. See what happens!

Marauderer

Oct 6, 2018
Truck Year
Wow, interesting article. I use acetone and atf 50-50 for penetrating oil and it is the best out there. I might try it but am interested in your results

Nomad

Aug 16, 2018
Truck Year
Results were that further research suggests that acetone can prematurely wear out our high pressure pumps...will try it when I get another old dodge 12 valve!

Marauderer

Oct 6, 2018
Truck Year
Well you know you've got to have lubrication to the pump and since they taken the sulfur out of the fuel which was a lubricant for the pump you need to Now find something else for lubricant. If I use the acetone I will use some sort of lubrication additive like stanadyne or Amsoil or one of the other to make sure that I have sufficient lubrication to the pump it also provides lubrication to the injectors

Nomad

Aug 16, 2018
Truck Year
true I thought of that. but the question is how much?!

Marauderer

Oct 6, 2018
Truck Year
I would use a double dosage for a fuel additive. Amsoil recommends 1 oz/5 gal and other are 1 oz/3 gal. I need to get some good grade acetone. I will try it in my big truck first.

Nomad

Aug 16, 2018
Truck Year
I would use a double dosage for a fuel additive. Amsoil recommends 1 oz/5 gal and other are 1 oz/3 gal. I need to get some good grade acetone. I will try it in my big truck first.

can get the chemically pure at sallys beauty supply

Marauderer

Oct 6, 2018
Truck Year
can get the chemically pure at sallys beauty supply

Thanks Nomad, My Daughters a Cosmetologist and I will have her get me a Gal.