• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any one tried using Pela Oil Extractor for oil changes?

TerryP

Jan 15, 2017
Truck Year
I bought a Pela 6000 oil extractor to ease oil changes in my VW TDI. It worked great, and saved removing the plastic, sound-absorbing cover from under the engine. Now I've got an RAM 1500 with an EcoDiesel, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Pela oil extractors with the EcoDiesel. I must say that it's nice not having to jack up my car and crawl under to drain the oil into a pan.

TerryP

Jan 15, 2017
Truck Year
Hmm, no comments, no advice. Oh well, I'll answer my own question. The oil extractor would not work well in the EcoDiesel, because it would almost certainly fail to suck out the oil in the sump where the drain plug is. So, I drained it the old fashioned way. Kind of tough squeezing my too big gut under the nerf bars. Plus I definitely need to get a bigger oil drain pan. My old pan is just fine for a 5-quart car engine, but comes up way short for the 10.5-quart EcoDiesel oil load. I used a Wix 10060 filter and the Rotella-T6 oil. $100 for the oil plus filter from O'Reilly. The RAM engine compartment is spacious and easy to work in. I like that a lot. And the RAM does not have the plastic sound absorbing cover under the engine like my VW TDI.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I was going to say, would it go down far enough to get the oil out? I used one for my Seadoo years ago because it was such a pain to change! But yes, a nice set of ramps make it a lot easier as you can get more clearance to get under the truck.

Also, I would recommend something like a Ez Drain Oil Valve, makes it 100x easier, and cleaner!

TerryP

Jan 15, 2017
Truck Year
I was going to say, would it go down far enough to get the oil out? I used one for my Seadoo years ago because it was such a pain to change! But yes, a nice set of ramps make it a lot easier as you can get more clearance to get under the truck.

Also, I would recommend something like a Ez Drain Oil Valve, makes it 100x easier, and cleaner!
The ramps are a great idea. I've actually got a pair that I could have used if I had thought of it. Next time, I'll get them out. Thanks for the thought.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The ramps are a great idea. I've actually got a pair that I could have used if I had thought of it. Next time, I'll get them out. Thanks for the thought.
Buy yourself an EZ drain valve, you'll appreciate how simple crawling under the truck without any tools it becomes. And mid drain stops are no mess either!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Buy yourself an EZ drain valve, you'll appreciate how simple crawling under the truck without any tools it becomes. And mid drain stops are no mess either!

I agree with this. The drain valve is awesome, and it's no mess. You can put the tube right in the pan or old oil jugs.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I agree with this. The drain valve is awesome, and it's no mess. You can put the tube right in the pan or old oil jugs.
I do my oil changes with 2.5gal diesel jugs and I put my truck in OR1 or on the edge of the driveway a little bit so I'm at the perfect (~1") height to the container have a clean drain into it, and 2.5gal jug goes back in, and keep the empty one in the garage for next time.

Resized_20170501_161048.jpeg
Perfect oil change? I think so!

TerryP

Jan 15, 2017
Truck Year
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a bit leery about adding something to the bottom of the oil pan that could get knocked off in a high center situation, but my truck has a bar a few inches in front of the drain plug that would have to be knocked out before the plug. In an aside, I was just at my friendly local dealer's shop a few days ago and they were offering a (Rotella) diesel oil and filter change for $100. That's about what I paid for my oil and a new filter at O'Reilly, so I'm wondering, "Why am I doing this?" One reason is that I live 50 miles from the dealer. But, if $100 oil changes from the dealer are a common occurrence, I might decide that it's worth the drive.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a bit leery about adding something to the bottom of the oil pan that could get knocked off in a high center situation, but my truck has a bar a few inches in front of the drain plug that would have to be knocked out before the plug. In an aside, I was just at my friendly local dealer's shop a few days ago and they were offering a (Rotella) diesel oil and filter change for $100. That's about what I paid for my oil and a new filter at O'Reilly, so I'm wondering, "Why am I doing this?" One reason is that I live 50 miles from the dealer. But, if $100 oil changes from the dealer are a common occurrence, I might decide that it's worth the drive.
It Used to be 190$ dealer oil change so I'd go for the 100$ I clock in somewhere around 60-90 depending on oil and I don't use the mopar filter

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I perform my oil changes top side with an extractor. I have a 15 liter capacity version so I can pull all the oil out without emptying the canister. Works great. No need to climb under the truck or put it on the lift!

(I use this model: http://www.idparts.com/15-liter-oil-extractor-p-2834.html)

lay down on a creeper, slide under, remove a single no mess drain plug, slide out, let gravity do its thing for 20 minutes, slide under again, replace drain plug, slide back out, done.

how could it be any easier? i would never even entertain the notion of something that doesnt totally flush and drain the entire pan, which is impossible to do from the top side.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
How could it be easier? Well, lots.

Use an extractor you get:
1) no creeper
2) no getting on the ground
3) no need to move pan full of oil
4) no need to drain pan full of oil into container for transport

Your second point is false. Extracting oil pulls the exact same amount out of the pan that draining does. You can also pull almost a half-quart out of the oil filter/cooler assembly that does *NOT* drain when you pull the plug, so extracting in fact gets more oil out of the engine.

You aren't "flushing" anything unless. You are draining, not flushing, these are two different things.

Turner

Apr 20, 2018
Truck Year
I am thinking of getting a John Dow Crew Chief that holds up to 6 gallons. I do all of my own oil changes, have two ED's and also a 400 Cummins in a pusher RV. The Cummins holds 6 gallons of oil, the big plus for me would be the ability to pump the pulled oil into separate 5gal buckets for easy removal to AutoZone. The first thing to do if I get one is to test and make sure the oil is completely drained by pulling the plug and checking. If it is all drained then the system works. I would have to modify a longer extractor tube and make sure it hits the bottom of the pan. Now if I could just figure out how to grease the Freightliner chassis from up top.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I am thinking of getting a John Dow Crew Chief that holds up to 6 gallons. I do all of my own oil changes, have two ED's and also a 400 Cummins in a pusher RV. The Cummins holds 6 gallons of oil, the big plus for me would be the ability to pump the pulled oil into separate 5gal buckets for easy removal to AutoZone. The first thing to do if I get one is to test and make sure the oil is completely drained by pulling the plug and checking. If it is all drained then the system works. I would have to modify a longer extractor tube and make sure it hits the bottom of the pan. Now if I could just figure out how to grease the Freightliner chassis from up top.
Well a guy can always put in grease banks and tubing. It's an option.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have fumoto Valves on every vehicle I own , Been doings this for over 15 years, In addition to most Trans pan, If the pan does Not have a Bung I install one. I now of NONE failing or braking OFF , rock crawling it would Take IMO to tear it off.

Marauderer

Oct 6, 2018
Truck Year
I use an extractor system on all my vehicles. Especially great for getting the extra oil out in the oil filter casing. I have used Fumoto valves for a while before I learned about and starting using and extractor system.

If you are not familiar with extractor systems here is a link to check them out.

Automotive fluid extractor

The one I use runs off 100 psi air.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.