• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone able to help with fuel contamination?

Kyle S Hale

Jun 22, 2018
Truck Year
2016 Ram Ecodiesel..... 38 left on the fuel range so I filled up and almost immediately the WIF came on. It continued to come on/off over the next day until it shut down completely. I had driven about 6 miles total. Towed to dealership and they said contaminated fuel, $6,500 repairs and no warranty. They provided a sample of my fuel and I agreed it looked cloudy to me. Assuming it was bad fuel at this point, I went and pumped a sample from the same pump and then another sample from where I normally fill up.
The fuel station has a "clean inspection report" from the fueling company. Evidently, the fuel transport company tests the remaining fuel in the tank before dropping new fuel. Additionally, the Oklahoma Corporation Commission came and tested the stations' fuel for me. It's all clean according to these tests. The inspector also shared that no other complaints had been filed against the store and they sell a lot of fuel. I have asked the dealer to send a sample from my tank to a lab at my expense. I want to know what it is contaminated with if it is contaminated. The fuel station did have a refueling occur between me filling up and the OCC testing. The field inspector stated that, if there was a problem with the other fuel, it would still be evident in the new tank and the test would show that. I do think my fuel is contaminated as it it very cloudy and has what looks like to be little red specks settled and suspended. The sample I took from the pump was cloudy at first, but looks more translucent now where that from the truck has not cleared at all.
The Dodge Dealership determined it was contaminated fuel by looking at it and went no further. Then said basically the entire fuel system needs to be changed. Should there be other checking going on here? Could it be something less catastrophic? Maybe drain fuel, replace filter(s), perhaps an additive/cleaner? Obviously, changing the fuel system should fix it, but is that really necessary? If my fuel is contaminated and the fuel station is clean, how did mine get contaminated?

Outlwbker

Jun 13, 2018
Truck Year
I think the dealership is going way overboard. I would definitely go your route before dropping $6500 on repairs. Also I would have it taken to another dealership or even another diesel mechanic shop. It couldn’t hurt to call Ram/Dodge and ask for help in this matter. Good luck.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Stuff like this you have to call Me on, 763-228-7121 Todd ,its just to time consuming to Time all the info.

Attachments

• fuel contaminated.jpg
    fuel contaminated.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 39

Kyle S Hale

Jun 22, 2018
Truck Year
I agree, this is not your fault. If anything else, can you turn this in on insurance?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have submitted a claim with the insurance and they seem to be accepting it at this point. I'm just bothered as to how it occured and the dealerships' handling of it all. I'm sure they've encountered this in the past, but this is my first time lol. At such hefty repair bills, I don't want this to happen again nor to other people. There's a source to the problem and that's my goal is figure how it can happen and how it happened in my case.

Kyle S Hale

Jun 22, 2018
Truck Year
Stuff like this you have to call Me on, 763-228-7121 Todd ,its just to time consuming to Time all the info.
Thanks for the reply and Thank You for being willing to take your time to help me! I tried calling this morning & will try again later. Meantime, you are welcome to call, 918-470-8669 Kyle, if a time works for you. Thanks Again!

Larry Hohnholt

Jul 4, 2018
Truck Year
I just bought a Ecodiesel with 33,000 miles on it. On the way home the engine light came on. I wasent to worried because it was
still had some warranty on it. Brought to the dealer near me where they said their was a star case on my vehicle about contaminated fuel and the dealership refuses to honor the warranty, They said it would be 6k for parts 2k for labor. I called the dealer from which I just bought the truck
They said they want their service department to look at it. Do think have recourse if they dont fix the problem

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Check your paper work, If they sold it with Factory warranty intact Yes.

RAM3D

Feb 7, 2015
Truck Year
It's really a shame when we spent 50 grand on a truck and the dealer and manufacture looks for any excuse to get out of warranty. They know we don't have the resources to fight back in many cases. It's not right!

Anan

Nov 28, 2018
Truck Year
i am having the same problem now with my eco 2014 and the dealer said the exact thing they need to replace the fuel system and its gonna cost $15K what you think i should do? already called insurance and they wont cover

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
$15K that's Nuts more like 6 Injectors Bosch OEM Gen-New $2,100.00 New CP4 $950.00, Drop tank, Clean Lines, New Filter and labor for the Job $2,500.00. LMBO at $15K.

Anan

Nov 28, 2018
Truck Year
$15K that's Nuts more like 6 Injectors Bosch OEM Gen-New $2,100.00 New CP4 $950.00, Drop tank, Clean Lines, New Filter and labor for the Job $2,500.00. LMBO at $15K.
i know and my problem is i spoke to a different mechanics and no body wanna deal with it

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Mine sharing what part of the County were you live, You can PM if you like...

Kyle S Hale

Jun 22, 2018
Truck Year

If you read my previous post you'll see my repair bill was $6,500 which seems insane. During my discussion with the insurance adjuster he explained mine was actually pretty cheap. When they replace the engine etc he claimed they'd be $12k or so. I wouldn't think the engine would need replace except if there was something very unique that occured. If a person has the time and the how to, I'd try emptying the tank, bleeding the lines and changing the filter.
The dealership strongly recommends replacing the filter now with each oil change. That makes it almost $300 for an oil change! I've been very pleased with the vehicle except for this one issue, but it's been BIG!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I deal with this all over the country, We sell all the parts to completely fix contamination issue's.

Replacing the fuel filter at lube service intervals is just not necessary, If you want to remove it, and do a visual ,and its clean just re-install the filter and carry on driving.

The dealership have NO Idea on many things, and at some service dept's is just another area to misplace your trust.

Kyle S Hale

Jun 22, 2018
Truck Year
I deal with this all over the country, We sell all the parts to completely fix contamination issue's.

Replacing the fuel filter at lube service intervals is just not necessary, If you want to remove it, and do a visual ,and its clean just re-install the filter and carry on driving.

The dealership have NO Idea on many things, and at some service dept's is just another area to misplace your trust.

Do you have a website where I can find out more about these parts?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
www.tcdiesel.com

Its just a small % of what we sell...we have 1000's of Bosch parts at our distribution center in Utah.

Kyle S Hale

Jun 22, 2018
Truck Year
www.tcdiesel.com

Its just a small % of what we sell...we have 1000's of Bosch parts at our distribution center in Utah.

Thank you! Just pulled up your website and I had no idea you sold all of this. Am I understanding correctly that you have something I can add to my ecodiesel to prevent this from happening again?