• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone Have 5th Wheel Setup In Short Box Eco?

K2s-EcoD

Nov 5, 2016
Truck Year
Hey Guys, been looking into a trailer and surprisingly enough there are actually some 5th wheel trailers out there that I'm pretty sure this little eco can handle. Everywhere else i go to look and search i get the standard answer that truck can't , go buy a 2500, well guess what this is what i have and i know there is something out there that will work and still be safe. Sorry been waiting to vent that out lol. but anyways, if you do what brand of hitch to you have recommend? and is there any other pieces that are required for 5th setup, just looking around and trying to figure out how this all works. Thanks for the help as always.

lucskoj

Jun 27, 2015
You have a 5.5' bed I'm assuming? I would think even with a sliding fifth wheel hitch a 5.5' bed would be tight.

I have seen guys pull some fifth wheels with their eco. Truck can definitely do it. One of he main points is your pin weight in the bed. Finding one that won't put you over your payload is the challenge I believe.

K2s-EcoD

Nov 5, 2016
Truck Year
Hey thanks for the info, i hear you. the b&w patriot slider is about 200lbs by itself, not light by any means. i did look into the anderson gooseneck hitch, paired with the b&w gooseneck kit, i think this setup would be around 85ish 100 tops so that would save a lot of weight there. was told that i would need a sidewinder slide adapter for the short box to avoid it hitting the truck. just trying to find some real world trials from someone out there. i guess i could call these companies as well and get the run down. thanks again for chiming in i appreciate it.

Z-Rider

Jun 28, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I had a Curt sliding fiver in my 2010 Hemi 5’7” box with no issues. You will likely need a Sidewinder based on the front profile and pin box of the trailer you end up with. It all comes down to cab corner clearance.

I am currently planning to install the same hitch setup in my 2018 Eco next weekend as I have time off. All parts arrived today so it’s just a matter of taking the time to do it.

The Eco requires a specific set of under bed brackets to clear the fuel/def filler lines.

Z-Rider

Jun 28, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
06eec78c6a3638b342c9b6c2d04fd7f2.jpg
f97e146720ca0fa6136c0a8e44b88970.jpg

Z-Rider

Jun 28, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Installed 5th wheel today in the Eco. All went well, and took about 5-6 hours taking my time because of the heat.

No frame drilling which was nice.

One bolt above fuel tank was tough to get to but have the Mrs lend a hand and we won.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Local rv Shop was only about 180 to install my 5th wheel plates but standard box so I didn't mess with the install itself. I use the Andersen hitch and am very happy with it. And it's light so it's no back ache to take it in or out at 45# (the full steel 5th wheel version)

Only thing with the offset kingpin adapter if I ran it forward as recommended the pinbox (but some are shorter) would hit the bed rails turning. But it's a very easy system to customize. The hitch can be forward or back and so can the kingpin adapter block. With the hitch in the rear position it's supposed to Work on a 5.5ft box, but my 5er is full width in front and needs all the clearance it can get to not hit the cab. But no issues for pin weight and the factory air suspension limitations though maybe not legal.

The demco Auto slide is a nice option but carries quite a price tag and excessive weight. It really seems sidewinders are the way to go when keeping a traditional 5th wheel plate though.