• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone have issues with overheating after TSB update on the PCM and TCM?

Jacqui

Jan 4, 2017
Truck Year
A week ago Friday 8/25/17, I took my 2015 Ram ECO in for maintenance, oil change and fuel filter. The dealership did TSB update that reprogrammed the PCM and TCM and changed the oil from the Europe low ash 5W30 to the 5W40. After the conversion, I noticed my truck started shaking and was running on the rough side, thinking this might be my paranoia kicking in, I had my husband drive it last night. As we started on our little outing, ( I will add we were not towing anything or loaded down, we are pretty rural so took the usual 56 mile loop into town and back) the truck started rough, normally it is a smooth purr when I start it, the sound kind of reminding me of the older dodge diesels when they made the diesling sound. We were about 26 miles into the test drive the water temperature needle moved from the usual half mark to the 3/4 mark, very odd considering it never moves past the half way mark. We start hearing one of the fans screaming. We pull over, put the truck in park and the temperature goes down. We go into the computer system and pull up the tempature monitoring screen so we can watch what is happening. We put the truck in drive and start driving again the the water temp is at 228 step on the fuel and it jumps to 244 step off the fuel it maintains at 244, jumps up to 259 high water tempature flashes on the dash. Now the oil pressure needle has jumped to the 3/4 mark. We pull over, turn on the heater to max heat to see if that will let off some pressure, heater doesn't work. Shut the truck off, by now both fans are screaming, we wait until both fans stop then pop the hood. The radiator cap blows off, now coolant is everywhere. We let the truck cool back down and put the radiator cap back on. We are in a very rural area with no cell service and about 17 miles before we will get back into cell range, so that means no roadside assistance and the onstar call button will not work. We start the truck back up, all the temp gauges look good, put the truck in drive, instantly the water temp jumps to 244, put the truck in neutral, temp goes down to normal 228. The oil pressure gage bounced back between 1/2 and 3/4. The tranny temp remained unchanged. Now begins the fun of getting the truck and ourselves back home. Since we are in the mountains, we have some uphill grades and down hill grades to get through. We used the paddle shifter and let the truck do the work climbing the hills and put the truck in neutral to coast the down hills. The truck went to limp mode several times when the temp was up over 259. The truck would only over heat while in gear. If it was in neutral or idling the temp was normal. Anyone have this issue?

John

Nov 13, 2015
I think it's unlikely the flash updates have anything to do with your issues. I'm going to guess it's either a stuck thermostat or failing water pump. Let us know.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The tsb just changed programming of your ecm. It wont directly cause your overheating issues. It's possible that your egr cooler failed which can cause idle and under throttle issues. It can also cause excessive pressure on your cooling system.

What does your coolant expansion tank look like? Level above the middle seem? Color purple or pink? Engine oil level between the add and full mark?

Jacqui

Jan 4, 2017
Truck Year
brokedownbutgood responce to your questions in bold

What does your coolant expansion tank look like? Level above the middle seem? Color purple or pink? Color is pink

Engine oil level between the add and full mark? Oil was just changed a week ago so the levels are at the full mark
The dealership will be open this morning so hopefully I can get it in soon. This poor truck has so many issues due to technician caused errors. Every time I take it in to get regular maintenance done, they do an update and the truck goes back in for weeks at a time.