• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best rim/tire combination 2017 Laramie ED

Jaws

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Hello, new Ecodiesel owner here (used 2017), looking for everyone's thoughts on best rim/tire size combination that works both on and off the road within a reasonable budget. Current stock tires have about 5k of tread left and looking to upgrade. Live in SoCal but plan on heading to the rocky mountains for hunting and hauling small trailer for camping here in California locally as well. Don't require anything flashy or desire a major lift, just want performance. Thanks in advance!

Jaws

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Hi Pete, Currently have stock 275/60r20s

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I like that size on my BIG HORN, I had to put new tires on in January, personally I have been very, very happy with COOPERS, I'm on my third set, I don't remember which style I got but they are an all terrain type tire and offer very good traction and are QUIET going down the road.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I was checking around on sizes when I wanted snow tires and ended up getting an 18" rim and a set of Blizzaks on there to match the size of the 20". It actually rides nicer than with the 20s but I expect it's the tires mostly as my used truck came with 285/60R20 LT tires that take way more load than the P rated factory tires

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Oh I was going to mention, there have been some the buy the 17" Ram wheels and put a heavier cross country tire on it but the sizes don't match the 20" very well

Jaws

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Appreciate the suggestions Ecopete and Cavemann. yeah more I read, i do tend to want to go 17/18" wheels, just need to justify extra dough to buy some, plus i'd like to get some rebel or decent looking RAM type wheels, many of the aftermarket ones just don't seem to fit my style or the granite crystal paint based on the wheel simulators i've looked into online.
Ecopete, forgive me but got to ask, what do you mean by "the sizes don't match the 20" very well"

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
No problem, I meant to say that the Ram has 2 size options, the 17" for the more base trim lines and 20" optional for some and standard for the top of the line and the truck is programmed for the difference in overall diameter. So unless you make provisions to adjust your speedo, theres not much of a tire selection in a 17" that will match the diameter of the stock 20" in my experience. But I was looking for a winter tire, and I refuse to go too wide for a winter tire as they push too much slush.
Not sure if that helps you decide

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
You'd be looking at a 285/70R17 to match it up and you'd still be -.9% on diameter which isn't much. I wasn't gonna go wider than 265 for my winters and they're almost 4% smaller in diameter in a 17 so got them in 18" on an aftermarket rim

Jaws

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Appreciate all the feedback EcoPete. Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards 18" rims and slightly larger tire 275/70/r18 to keep the same overall wheel size. Seems like the rims are much more limited in that size.
Anyone have pics of their ED with late or older model Rebel wheels on it? Would be nice to see the overall appearance before laying down the loot to buy these, only to be not happy w/ them.

Geico

Nov 9, 2022
Truck Year
I like that size on my BIG HORN, I had to put new tires on in January, personally I have been very, very happy with COOPERS, I'm on my third set, I don't remember which style I got but they are an all terrain type tire and offer very good traction and are QUIET going down the road.
Would you be so kind as to posting what Coopers you are running? I’m in the market and want QUIET tires.

Thanks Cavemann. So easy even a caveman could do it. Geico. 👍🤣🇺🇸

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I believe they were COOPER DISCOVERER AT3 4S 275/60-R20, OR A SLIGHT VARIATION, I just put 4 new COOPER RUGGED TREK on it a couple months back because the others were not available at the time and information indicated they had been phased out. The RUGGED TREK are a much more aggressive tread design but aren't too bad for noisy but they affected my fuel mileage negatively, 2-3mpg loss, my rig is 4x4 and does get used some so I wanted an all terrain tread, I think I've had 3 sets of the AT3 4S and have had good luck with them, they wear well and hold their balance, the last set wore out a little quicker because they didn't get the rotations and balance as often as they should have due to COVID & my wife's cancer treatments, in fact they were only done once in their lifespan. We bought the truck Dec312019 with 14,344 miles and had to replace the original tires due to an impact fracture, I put 4 new COOPERS on, my wife was diagnosed in April, between early April and early Nov we had put over 20 K on the truck, I got another 15 0r 16000 miles, the tires still had plenty of tread but I got pissed off at the tire dealer because I had a VERY slow leak in the left rear tire, we went in for a flat repair and rotate & balance, apparently rotating and flat repair was above their intelligence level. They couldn't find the leak, I even made them prove to me that thetire wasn't leaking, and they were right! It wasn't leaking, but they hadn't rotated, they put the leaky tire right back on the left rear, I just didn't realize it for a week when I noticed the wear patterns. I like the my tire retailer because they hand torque every single lugnut, but I may be switching if I can save a few bucks, the RUGGED TREKS set me back 1500 smacks after mount, balance and warranties, they don't miss a beat, but they've been good when it comes time for warranty issues too.
JUST SO YA KNOW, YOU MISSPELLED MY NAME! IT'S CAVEMANN! LOL! You see MANN is my last name. The name CAVEMANN was given to me by our High school football coach. I've carried the nickname since I was 15, I'll be 68 next month.

Last edited:

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I believe they were COOPER DISCOVERER AT3 4S 275/60-R20, OR A SLIGHT VARIATION, I just put 4 new COOPER RUGGED TREK on it a couple months back because the others were not available at the time and information indicated they had been phased out. The RUGGED TREK are a much more aggressive tread design but aren't too bad for noisy but they affected my fuel mileage negatively, 2-3mpg loss, my rig is 4x4 and does get used some so I wanted an all terrain tread, I think I've had 3 sets of the AT3 4S and have had good luck with them, they wear well and hold their balance, the last set wore out a little quicker because they didn't get the rotations and balance as often as they should have due to COVID & my wife's cancer treatments, in fact they were only done once in their lifespan. We bought the truck Dec312019 with 14,344 miles and had to replace the original tires due to an impact fracture, I put 4 new COOPERS on, my wife was diagnosed in April, between early April and early Nov we had put over 20 K on the truck, I got another 15 0r 16000 miles, the tires still had plenty of tread but I got pissed off at the tire dealer because I had a VERY slow leak in the left rear tire, we went in for a flat repair and rotate & balance, apparently rotating and flat repair was above their intelligence level. They couldn't find the leak, I even made them prove to me that thetire wasn't leaking, and they were right! It wasn't leaking, but they hadn't rotated, they put the leaky tire right back on the left rear, I just didn't realize it for a week when I noticed the wear patterns. I like the my tire retailer because they hand torque every single lugnut, but I may be switching if I can save a few bucks, the RUGGED TREKS set me back 1500 smacks after mount, balance and warranties, they don't miss a beat, but they've been good when it comes time for warranty issues too.
JUST SO YA KNOW, YOU MISSPELLED MY NAME! IT'S CAVEMANN! LOL! You see MANN is my last name. The name CAVEMANN was given to me by our High school football coach. I've carried the nickname since I was 15, I'll be 68 next month.
So, after re-reading the part of your post where I thought you misspelled my name I realized that I was looking at the part of the Geico phrase about it being easy, so please accept my apology for pointing out you misspelling my name that you didn't misspell. does that make sense?

Oasis

May 15, 2017
Truck Year
Oh I was going to mention, there have been some the buy the 17" Ram wheels and put a heavier cross country tire on it but the sizes don't match the 20" very well
Why wouldn’t they ? A 275 60R 20 is 33” tall,
Appreciate all the feedback EcoPete. Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards 18" rims and slightly larger tire 275/70/r18 to keep the same overall wheel size. Seems like the rims are much more limited in that size.
Anyone have pics of their ED with late or older model Rebel wheels on it? Would be nice to see the overall appearance before laying down the loot to buy these, only to be not happy w/ them.
no pics but the ones I’ve seen look proper, good looking setup