• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Black oily substance in my 2015 Ram coolant plastic fill tank

banderson7156

Aug 22, 2021
Truck Year
I own a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel V-6. I recently noticed a black, oily film on the top of my coolant overflow tank. My first thought is that I have a head gasket leaking oil into my coolant. I have not noticed an oil loss or milky engine oil and the truck seems to run fine. The engine oil is, in my opinion, uncharacteristically black soon after an oil change. This is the first diesel I've owned, so I don't know if that is a normal state for diesel engines. Definitely is not for gas engines. My question is-should I be concerned about these issues? I changed the coolant as soon as I noticed the black substance in the coolant tank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've read about the EGR cooler issue but have not pulled mine to check if it has the black goo of death on it yet. I suspect it probably does. Could this cause my coolant contamination?