• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Breaking in a new 3.0 diesel

Richard lane

May 14, 2022
Truck Year
Hello,
If all goes well I will take possession of a 2022 Ram 1500 Diesel next week. My Last truck was a 2005 2500 Duramax. Any words of wisdom from you folks in the forum?
Break in period ? Items to be aware of?
Thanks in advance!
Richard Lane

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It's too late for my words of don't buy it...Do NOT treat it like the LLY, The Duramax LLY engine is 100 times more reliable. So don't keep it past warranty IMO. It will not like Grocery getting So in long term ownership it will cost $$$$ in repairs. They seem to do OK in 90% HWY use.

The truck and trans are Awesome its the VM 3.0 that needs Baby sitting, DO OAs form New to when no longer own the truck, 1st sign of internal wear metals establish VIA trends trade or sell. The glow plugs will seize themselves if not removed when new and treated with high temp anti-seize. SERVICE LOF AT 8K miles with T6 or top brand lube , Register and keep ALL service and maintenance Here https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/sign-in.html You will likely need the history if engine pukes.

Richard lane

May 14, 2022
Truck Year
TC Diesel,
Many thanks for your insight. I have not purchased the truck yet…I’m on the fence. I ordered it 12/21 and it’s sitting on a train waiting to be delivered to the dealership. All my driving will be on the highway. I was planning to get the extended warranty and keep good records. In the 5 months I’ve waited for delivery I’ve read all of the forums and all the blown engine stories. My observation is that the latest version of the 3.0 has been improved? Maybe not.
I was wondering if you could fill in the words on your response ? I’m not sure what the two letter abridged wording means..sorry not real hip on the texting code.
Thanks, Richard

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
AO Oil Analysis, Thier are reports of 2020+ failures, improved possibly resolved NOT likely. Its very over engineered power plant, The exhaust after treatment and EGR system was dropped by most other DSL power plant makers. Once the Hurricane motor starts production that will end the 3.0 VM on road production IMO. If used in HWY use you will likely fair better and lessen the operating cost in long term ownership.

Richard lane

May 14, 2022
Truck Year
AO Oil Analysis, Thier are reports of 2020+ failures, improved possibly resolved NOT likely. Its very over engineered power plant, The exhaust after treatment and EGR system was dropped by most other DSL power plant makers. Once the Hurricane motor starts production that will end the 3.0 VM on road production IMO. If used in HWY use you will likely fair better and lessen the operating cost in long term ownership.
TC Diesel
Many thanks for the reply. Maybe a re-order is due with the stock hemi….stay tuned.

epare77

Oct 2, 2021
Truck Year
Hello,
If all goes well I will take possession of a 2022 Ram 1500 Diesel next week. My Last truck was a 2005 2500 Duramax. Any words of wisdom from you folks in the forum?
Break in period ? Items to be aware of?
Thanks in advance!
Richard Lane
Awesome, hwy driving you say ! I've a 2016, outside of the egr trouble. Nothing else happen, I am now at 332628km ( miles ?????)
But hear me out, this is not an idle truck, not a 20 times corner store use and few miles a day to go to work and go home !

This is an hwy truck, this truc will love you if you do 2-300+ a day.

Mine I was doing this with, over 12-1300km a week. Nothing never happen, I still have the oem alternator, fuel pump, injector pump... battery!
But I've done all my maintenance religiously, 10k oilchange, 75k differential/transfercase oil change.
Still no problem, ive replace at 330000km 1 cv joint, rear differential bearing. And previously because of the intake bs setup, I went with bank intake, beautiful !

Bdw, my buddy bought a rebel ecodiesel, a year later at 75000k, still no problem !