• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

broken crank shaft

GORDON TOLL

Mar 1, 2018
Truck Year
anyone heard of this problem?
I have a friend with a 2014 w/120 that has a broken crank, also saw a an engine w/18k with the same concern

John

Nov 13, 2015
Yeah we heard of it. Happens all the time. Last report from FCA indicates an average of 20+ per month.

GORDON TOLL

Mar 1, 2018
Truck Year
so are there any answers for the problem yet?
I'm a little concerned, I have a 2016 that I have 18K on so far, and was hoping this would be my last truck.
All and all I love the truck, it tows my trailer great, and does every thing I'd hoped for

John

Nov 13, 2015
No answers I'm aware of. You either get a good one or you don't so hope for the best. There are some members here with hundreds of thousands of miles. Personally, I probably won't keep my truck out of warranty.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I wasn’t aware crankshafts snapping as being an issue. Read of spun bearings being a big culprit to engine failures though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John

Nov 13, 2015
I wasn’t aware crankshafts snapping as being an issue. Read of spun bearings being a big culprit to engine failures though.

Yes spun bearings with the occasional broken crankshaft or rod as a result of the spun bearing.

Barry Moore

Apr 19, 2018
Truck Year
Hi, I have also heard about the bearings /crank and heard it was a result of the oil being too thin. Apparently they are stating you should be using 5W40 synthetic oil, which is why it costs so much for an oil change($250.00 CDN)

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
It is way cheaper using 5W40. The original spec oil was expensive and hard to find.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Engines are still spinning main and rod bearings even factory filled with 5W-40. Its more likely a maching error or poor bearing design issue. Some think it might be an oil pump issue but nothing definite there.