• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bulletproofing

Scallywag23

Apr 5, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2016 that I’ve had for about 2 1/2 years with around 40+k miles on it. I’ve never had a single issue with the truck not even a thrown code. It seems like with these trucks you either got a solid engine or a giant pos. I love my truck and have done lots of upgrades to it minus the engine. I’m wanting to know what y’all think should be done to help with the making the engine last. Should I do a DPF and EGR delete or keep it stock and hold onto warranty? Is there other things y’all would recommend changing to help the engines life span?

Attachments

• BFB8C56A-55D1-4233-942D-BAAD98C83614.jpeg
    BFB8C56A-55D1-4233-942D-BAAD98C83614.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 28

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
"It seems like with these trucks you either got a solid engine or a giant pos"

Maybe. FCA is not talking about why these engines grenade, but somewhere about 10% of all eco engines have spun bearings. Is it poor assembly? Bad bearings? Fuel contamination in the oil? Poor oil flow? Soot in the oil that causes the bearings to wear down? Who knows, cuz FCA isn't talking. The one thing they did, switching the oil from 30 to 40 weight hints at needing a greater oil cushion but is it because fuel is diluting the oil?

I would not do the delete on this truck until your 100k warranty is up. I would buy an extended warranty from MOPAR or Zeigler for as long as you plan to keep the truck, plus one year. I would get the GDE ECM to make the truck run better and get more longevity. I would use high quality synthetic CJ-4 / CK-4 certified diesel oil and change it when the oil minder hits 10%. I would do my own oil changes to make sure nobody filled my oil with Jiffy Lube swill.

I would do lots of highway driving. If my only planned use was bumper to bumper traffic or city driving with short trips I would sell this truck and count my lucky stars that I dodged a bullet or two. Modern diesels with all their emissions equipment are not suited to city driving.

Kejar7

Apr 26, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed

Maybe. FCA is not talking about why these engines grenade, but somewhere about 10% of all eco engines have spun bearings. Is it poor assembly? Bad bearings? Fuel contamination in the oil? Poor oil flow? Soot in the oil that causes the bearings to wear down? Who knows, cuz FCA isn't talking. The one thing they did, switching the oil from 30 to 40 weight hints at needing a greater oil cushion but is it because fuel is diluting the oil?

I would not do the delete on this truck until your 100k warranty is up. I would buy an extended warranty from MOPAR or Zeigler for as long as you plan to keep the truck, plus one year. I would get the GDE ECM to make the truck run better and get more longevity. I would use high quality synthetic CJ-4 / CK-4 certified diesel oil and change it when the oil minder hits 10%. I would do my own oil changes to make sure nobody filled my oil with Jiffy Lube swill.

I would do lots of highway driving. If my only planned use was bumper to bumper traffic or city driving with short trips I would sell this truck and count my lucky stars that I dodged a bullet or two. Modern diesels with all their emissions equipment are not suited to city driving.
So trying to follow your thread. You state to buy an extended warranty and also get the GDE Tune. But the GDE tune voids the extended warranty. Not following the logic on this one.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
These tunes offered by GDE, PPEI and Sofa King modify the program written to your ECM. There are many many lines of code on your ECM. The build dates on the files all look the same as the original code. The likelyhood of a dealership having an IT programmer on staff to search through the lines of code is very low. I have only been to the dealer 6 times and 4 times was for an oil change and the other two were recalls. They never messed with or mentioned my ECM.

On the other hand, if you remove your EGR, DPF, EGR cooler and do what is called a "delete" you will have issues. Llikewise, if you have a banks bullet sitting on your dash.

In my case, and just for this upcoming recall, I did get a back up ECM. With each of those companies you can get a new ECM with the tune on it and you can swap it out when you go to the dealer.

wajski

Apr 29, 2019
Truck Year
Just joined the site 1st ? I have a 2015 Tradesman Eco with 93000 mi original everything. I did put a drain valve in the oil pan what should I consider at 100k

2015Ram1500

Apr 27, 2019
Truck Year

What 100K mile warranty??

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I use a high quality synthetic API CJ-4 oil like Rotella T6. I did an oil analysis and it was perfect. I change it by the minder, not the miles. With the GDE tune the EGR is asleep so the intake, valves and oil stay clean.

I put in Lucas injector cleaner to the fuel, maybe a quart each month.

Other than that, I do what you do. I live in the boonies and 70% of my miles are on the highway. That is the best kind of driving for this truck.

jrdale84

May 22, 2019
Truck Year
Hi guys - looking to purchase a 2015 Eco with 99,300 miles on her - maintenance records look solid, inspected the engine and all around no leaks everything looks good. Anything to be worried about?

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
These tunes offered by GDE, PPEI and Sofa King modify the program written to your ECM. There are many many lines of code on your ECM. The build dates on the files all look the same as the original code. The likelyhood of a dealership having an IT programmer on staff to search through the lines of code is very low. I have only been to the dealer 6 times and 4 times was for an oil change and the other two were recalls. They never messed with or mentioned my ECM.

On the other hand, if you remove your EGR, DPF, EGR cooler and do what is called a "delete" you will have issues. Llikewise, if you have a banks bullet sitting on your dash.

In my case, and just for this upcoming recall, I did get a back up ECM. With each of those companies you can get a new ECM with the tune on it and you can swap it out when you go to the dealer.
Would you happen to know if all 3 companies tunes turns off the EGR function?, they never talk about that on their websites, GDE I cant but in California, maybe one of the others I can just ship it to my Brother in Arizona

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
GDE and SFT both turn off the EGR. It's automatic on GDE, you select that option on SFT.
Don't know about PPEI. Have asked them that question, never got an answer and their website is lacking.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I believe SFT sells to California. I also believe GDE checks registration of the VIN so that Arizona thing would fail.

BDRS

May 23, 2019
Truck Year
So, you are suggesting to let the dealership reprogram the truck. Mine is scheduled for next Tuesday. Sounds like HER is the way to go. Should I get a new ec m from them too?

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
So, you are suggesting to let the dealership reprogram the truck. Mine is scheduled for next Tuesday. Sounds like HER is the way to go. Should I get a new ec m from them too?
what is HER? I would go with the Sofa King tune and yes, get the 2nd ECM. That way you have one for future dealer trips.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
If he goes with SFT he doesn't need a second ECM for dealer trips. As I understand the handheld SFT tuner, if going to the dealer you merely turn back to the stock FCA tune and when the dealer is done you return it to the SFT tune. Ditto for SFT's TCM tune