• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Buy eco diesel or not

Mitch_williams90

Jun 7, 2020
Truck Year
Looking into buying one for towing a 5500lb travel trailer when loaded. Looking for info on best year to buy.

Also looking for info on whether to buy a hot tune, pedal kit ect do I need them to make it bullet proof and extended the life or not. Also would they avoid the warranty ect thank you

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome! If the motor goes and your tuned, your warranty is likely gone. Overall, I can't say what's the best year to buy, but the newest maybe might be the best answer here. If you're buying one used, make sure you have the maintenance records and it's been taken care of..

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
There is NO way to make any 3.0 Bullet proof. You are also at MAX CAP with 5500lbs tow , that will put you at 11.5-12K Buy 3/4 ton.

If you do buy 3.0VM you will need to upgraded to missing parts, although GDE claims their new COC tune missing parts will not be necessary.

Mitch_williams90

Jun 7, 2020
Truck Year
There is NO way to make any 3.0 Bullet proof. You are also at MAX CAP with 5500lbs tow , that will put you at 11.5-12K Buy 3/4 ton.

If you do buy 3.0VM you will need to upgraded to missing parts, although GDE claims their new COC tune missing parts will not be necessary.
Thought max tow was 9k lbs? On 3.92 hearing or 3.55? Alot of others ppl are claiming to tow between 7k and 11k?

Also are you saying it's called missing parts or are the other parts?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Missing parts are related to NO emissions, DEF.SCR,EGR,DPF.

I DON'T CARE WHAT THE MAX RATINGS AT RAMTRUCKS IS, or what other say, the 1500s become dangerous at GVW above 12K LBS, Sure you can legally do it, and I have but if you need to do emergency stop or evasive action the truck just is NOT enough iron and the body roll will be uncontrollable. I just seen this happen and I posted the results here at (ED) Foss RD and old HWY 8.

Yes, I also responded to cashes involving 1500s, first the tires are passengers OEM, the sidewalls are weak and flex increasing heat, the faster you drive the more heat in summer Months, the road crown plays a big part in blow outs both for trailer and truck Tire's.

Its not worth the risk IMO. Now if you drive 55-60 and tow ST HWYs for lets say 100 miles or less the risk is diminish. The faster you drive the risk increases. Also the 3.0 cooling is terrible at stop and go traffic.

So Gearing determines MAX tow is just crazy. How are those gears going to aid in stopping the additional 2K? and its the Hemi only for over 10K lbs MAX tow, I"ve Scaled Both My 3.0 and 5.7s at around 14K lbs just pulling from jobsite to transfer station less then 10 miles city driving, I value my property and the safety of the community. I have 40 Years of professional service and investigate many cashes when asked to do so. Yes some get away with it, I concede that, only time separates the eventuality of a crash.

Mitch_williams90

Jun 7, 2020
Truck Year
Missing parts are related to NO emissions, DEF.SCR,EGR,DPF.

I DON'T CARE WHAT THE MAX RATINGS AT RAMTRUCKS IS, or what other say, the 1500s become dangerous at GVW above 12K LBS, Sure you can legally do it, and I have but if you need to do emergency stop or evasive action the truck just is NOT enough iron and the body roll will be uncontrollable. I just seen this happen and I posted the results here at (ED) Foss RD and old HWY 8.

Yes, I also responded to cashes involving 1500s, first the tires are passengers OEM, the sidewalls are weak and flex increasing heat, the faster you drive the more heat in summer Months, the road crown plays a big part in blow outs both for trailer and truck Tire's.

Its not worth the risk IMO. Now if you drive 55-60 and tow ST HWYs for lets say 100 miles or less the risk is diminish. The faster you drive the risk increases. Also the 3.0 cooling is terrible at stop and go traffic.

So Gearing determines MAX tow is just crazy. How are those gears going to aid in stopping the additional 2K? and its the Hemi only for over 10K lbs MAX tow, I"ve Scaled Both My 3.0 and 5.7s at around 14K lbs just pulling from jobsite to transfer station less then 10 miles city driving, I value my property and the safety of the community. I have 40 Years of professional service and investigate many cashes when asked to do so. Yes some get away with it, I concede that, only time separates the eventuality of a crash.
My trailer weights 3200lbs and I assume it would be 5500 fully loaded, the exo diesel can't handle that?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep it can, so that would put 4x4 CC at around 11,500 Gross. I certainly would not recommended speeds of 65MPH+ at night. So being aware of the power unit capacity and handling is better than any spec chart.

Mitch_williams90

Jun 7, 2020
Truck Year
Yep it can, so that would put 4x4 CC at around 11,500 Gross. I certainly would not recommended speeds of 65MPH+ at night. So being aware of the power unit capacity and handling is better than any spec chart.
So I should be fine pulling the hills mountains on camping trips assuming I find one with 3.92 gears or is 3.55 also ok?

Would you recommend the Gde off the bat, any thing else I need ?

Mitch_williams90

Jun 7, 2020
Truck Year
So I should be fine pulling the hills mountains on camping trips assuming I find one with 3.92 gears or is 3.55 also ok?

Would you recommend the Gde off the bat, any thing else I need ?
Does the gde also have a Jake break integrated into the app?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You would have to call them.
I never trusted My 3.0 to do mountains and Wagon pulling in the Rookies, I use My Cummins for that.

I never pulled much with My 3.0, The one time I scaled at 13,100 at the transfer station and the truck just did NOT like it.
Other do it , but its not for Me, especially when I have 3500s and 4500s.