• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can my ED tow this TT?

Amess

Jan 27, 2021
Truck Year
What's up guys 1st post done a lot of reading on here and have a general idea about what I'm asking so here we go...Me and my wife are looking to take the plunge into the TT world my father in law owns one we use on occasion, but I have only towed it with his truck (Dually 3500 HD) I'm not comfortable with the numbers on my truck to tow so I'm looking for something in our weight class (I hope) We are looking at a cherokee grey wolf 23DBH we have a 3 year old that loves camping and will expand our family eventually. The tongue weight of the trailer is 621, GVWR 7621, and dry 5380. My 2016 Laramie ED has a GVWR of 6950, payload of 1048, GAWR front and rear of 3,900 and max towing of 7847. 3:55 rear. My questions are as follows will my truck be legal with these numbers (trailer dry or max load)? What's my payload remaining going to look like? How much weight can I load in the trailer and be within these thresholds? Will it be safe? I want to be legal and safe in all manners I take no chances with my family and my money. I don't want to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. I will be adding a trailer brake since the truck did not come with one, WD hitch, a new set of Cooper discover H/T plus all season 199T tires, possibly airlift 1000, and different grill to open up air flow. Thoughts, comments, concerns and opinions all welcome. Again I want to know LEGALLY will the truck get the job done I know it will pull it, but I don't want liability if something were to happen.

Thanks guys!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Amess, Yes your Legal, the questions you will need to decide for yourself.You should always have more Iron and power than the towed unit. 2500 will leave some power and stopping ability on the table you just don't have with 1/2. Now speed is not your friend with 1/2 ton either and if you tow faster then 65MPH IMO your risk factor skyrockets with 1/2 ton . it only takes 1 emergency stop beyond the 1/2 ton stopping power YOU and family life is at risk.

Amess

Jan 27, 2021
Truck Year
Yeah I agree from some of the set ups I've read about here and on other forums I'd be leaving a bit more of a safety factor than some, but I'd still like more. Unfortunately a 3/4 ton set up is not really feasible right now. Plus that TT is about the lightest and smallest to meet the criteria we'd like to have. Idk I'm just torn honestly I feel better that I'd be legal, but I just am not sure about my margins for safety.. Thanks for an honest reply because that's what I want not someone that tows a 13,000 lb trailer with a half ton telling me I'm gtg I do it all the time lol. No offense to them more power to them I just don't want that on my conscience.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If you stay 65 MPH or less and drive safely, and are aware of the rigs Max Ability goes a long way in safe driving.

Amess

Jan 27, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks what do you think about the tires? They're Xl rated but not an LT they're 119t load rated.

Amess

Jan 27, 2021
Truck Year
If you stay 65 MPH or less and drive safely, and are aware of the rigs Max Ability goes a long way in safe driving.
Thanks what do you think about the tires? They're Xl rated but not an LT they're 119t load rated

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If you have factory Goodyear they are rated passenger tire, the curb and side wall are constructed for Ride/comfort and will run hotter because of the flex of the tire, the more ground pressure the hotter they get. I would change to tires that are rated for truck,If you really want to be safe purchase Pulse FX, I used it on all My Wagons, saved me from the hassles of blow outs more then once.

If you want to buy the system get it here at L&S presssurepro, stay away from Amazon on this ,I been buy from L&S for years
Pulse FX Archives - Tire Pressure Monitor

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
What's up guys 1st post done a lot of reading on here and have a general idea about what I'm asking so here we go...Me and my wife are looking to take the plunge into the TT world my father in law owns one we use on occasion, but I have only towed it with his truck (Dually 3500 HD) I'm not comfortable with the numbers on my truck to tow so I'm looking for something in our weight class (I hope) We are looking at a cherokee grey wolf 23DBH we have a 3 year old that loves camping and will expand our family eventually. The tongue weight of the trailer is 621, GVWR 7621, and dry 5380. My 2016 Laramie ED has a GVWR of 6950, payload of 1048, GAWR front and rear of 3,900 and max towing of 7847. 3:55 rear. My questions are as follows will my truck be legal with these numbers (trailer dry or max load)? What's my payload remaining going to look like? How much weight can I load in the trailer and be within these thresholds? Will it be safe? I want to be legal and safe in all manners I take no chances with my family and my money. I don't want to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. I will be adding a trailer brake since the truck did not come with one, WD hitch, a new set of Cooper discover H/T plus all season 199T tires, possibly airlift 1000, and different grill to open up air flow. Thoughts, comments, concerns and opinions all welcome. Again I want to know LEGALLY will the truck get the job done I know it will pull it, but I don't want liability if something were to happen.

Thanks guys!

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Hello Amess. The safest most stable setup & "legal" or rather Mfgr & DOT compliant for non commercial use is found and can concretely be set up via CAT type triple scale results. Not always necessary on well within capacities loads but sometimes critical for the safety & stability of towing at the limits loads.

By making adjustments to WDH, truck, and trailer loading you can get the steer & drive axle weight and tongue weight percentages desired or at least within Mfgr spec.

Weigh your empty truck for its steer drive and total weight numbers. Then weigh your camp ready ish truck and trailer. Afterwards you make adjustments to your WDH, truck, & or trailer, loading to redistribute weight for optimal stability braking and control. Then re weigh. Maybe this takes 2 or 3 tries. At $2 per, your family's safety, and having a driving experience that is relaxed its well worth it. You can sometimes even take over limits loads back to within Mfgr spec loads without any weight removal simply by properly distributing it. This is why Mfgrs give you max axle weights, max receiver, CVWR, max tow, even GVWR instead of one max number weight. Often in an overload scenario you take a "white knuckle" ride to something you can drive with two fingers. So weight distribution is very important. Fortunately you should be nowhere near this experience with the TT you are looking at. Also fwiw CAT scales can be gps found via free downloadable app. Cost is typically around $12 for your first weight $2 per each additional weigh. So for at most a few hours and $20 you can concretely setup your trailer for confident easy safe driving and stable towing.

People typically add nearly 1,000 pounds when going from dry weight to camp ready. Batteries, propane, minimal travel water, supplies. So lets estimate 5,380 will be 6,400. Well within the comfortable capability of your truck. You should adjust your WDH and loading to bring your tongue weight (as seen by CAT or triple scales as you are using a WDH) to between 10 & 15 percent. From experience from using the 4th gen 1500 Ram to transport TTs for a living I try to adjust toward 12.0 percent. I find 12 percent tongue weight with a TT is stable with no sway at 65 even with wind gusts or passing semi truck bow wave. It also does not put any more load on your truck than is necessary retaining as much of your useable GVWR of 6,950 as is prudent. At a 6,400 pound gross TT weight that would be a seen on CAT scale tongue weight of 760 pounds. (increase in combined drive & steer weight loaded vs unloaded weight slips)

With you in the truck you should have an unloaded steer weight of about 3,300 pounds. To replace your unloaded steer weight is your other primary weight distribution setup goal. By roughly replacing your unloaded steer weight and getting your tongue weight percentage in range your drive axle weight, max receiver weight etc will be in line. Between tongue weight, bed and cab loading you can get over the 6,950 and its typically the first number exceeded but the least important as far as the safety & stability of your towing setup. At least to the point of common sense. I mean yes if you are weighed down to the point of both max axle weights or 7,800 pounds then yes but at that point you are likely pushing all the limits max drive axle, CVWR, max tow, possibly max receiver weight. Its not a HD so lol 6 adults in the cab & two Harleys in the bed not a good idea.

Last having your weight slips insures if ever there were an accident that you were both Mfgr weight compliant and doing due diligence. Last once you get it adjusted well and have proven its stability with a long tow you won't need to return to the scales unless you radically change your loading or load. Enjoy your family time and make memories.

Last edited:

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
You'll be fine with that trailer. 65mph and under as stated above. Those stock China Bomb tires are only speed rated to 65mph anyway. My camper is about 800lbs heavier dry and my Ecod (both '15 w/3.55 and '20 w.3.92) handle it well. Probably of bigger concern than the weight is the size of that sail on a windy day. Just drive reasonably and get a good WD hitch with sway control.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks what do you think about the tires? They're Xl rated but not an LT they're 119t load rated.
I have run two sets of those same tires, great for regular driving, not so much for towing. Just put on a set of Pro Comp A/T's E rated Light Truck tire, much improvement in stability.

Under 65mph, good WDH hitch, E rated tire, trailer brake, I run mine at 7.5% gain on two axle 8K lb tow hauler RV.