• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing your own fuel filter

LarryMLewis

Apr 30, 2022
Truck Year
The dealer wants $350 to change my fuel filter. Thanks to Youtube I see it's a fairly straightforward process of doing it myself. After changing out the filter under the truck, is there anything else to consider? What about the air in the fuel line? Is there another filter in the engine compartment? Thanks.

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
It is an easy job. After loosening the bolt at the bottom of the fuel canister (I placed a bolt there for convenience) place a gallon freezer bag around the canister and loosen further. Then, with the bag still around the canister, unscrew the canister. All diesel should be in the bag along with the canister. After placing in the new filter and the canister back in place, run the fuel pump 10 times - Do not start the engine, just hit the ignition button twice to the run position then off and repeat 9 more times before starting the engine. That will ensure no air in the line.

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
It is an easy job. After loosening the bolt at the bottom of the fuel canister (I placed a bolt there for convenience) place a gallon freezer bag around the canister and loosen further. Then, with the bag still around the canister, unscrew the canister. All diesel should be in the bag along with the canister. After placing in the new filter and the canister back in place, run the fuel pump 10 times - Do not start the engine, just hit the ignition button twice to the run position then off and repeat 9 more times before starting the engine. That will ensure no air in the line.
One more thing, when you place it in run position, you will hear the pump running. Wait to shut it off until you hear the pump shut off. It takes maybe 10-15 seconds for this to happen.

jcrheingans

May 26, 2022
Truck Year
It is a very easy job. I use an oil filter wrench to loosen the plastic cap and always carry an extra filter in my toolbox in case I get some nasty fuel.

T Bone

Oct 27, 2016
Truck Year
The dealer wants $350 to change my fuel filter. Thanks to Youtube I see it's a fairly straightforward process of doing it myself. After changing out the filter under the truck, is there anything else to consider? What about the air in the fuel line? Is there another filter in the engine compartment? Thanks.
Go to another dealer. $80 -$120