• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Check engine code P0087

LuisW35

Dec 28, 2018
Truck Year
I just got a check engine light that came on while i was driving and right away took it to get it checked. Turns out it’s low fuel pressure. Any suggestions to take care of this before anything else can happen?

It’s all stock only have a pedal commander installed. I’m very new to diesels any suggestions will help. Thank you

vandan

Sep 18, 2016
Truck Year
get yourself an ObD2 reader that way you can delete it and carry on driving but make a note on what your deleting that way if you do have to go to dealer you have a record of it. This would be a good investment for you and could save you a lot of trips to the dealer for what they will do anyway.

vandan

Sep 18, 2016
Truck Year
They recommend to change fuel filter every second oil change or 20,000 miles

vandan

Sep 18, 2016
Truck Year
if you have a code reader and you can delete it why not but make a documentation of it

LuisW35

Dec 28, 2018
Truck Year
get yourself an ObD2 reader that way you can delete it and carry on driving but make a note on what your deleting that way if you do have to go to dealer you have a record of it. This would be a good investment for you and could save you a lot of trips to the dealer for what they will do anyway.

Thank you. Ill do that

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
If u drive around with low fuel it will Hurt the fuel pump like 1/4 tank

vandan

Sep 18, 2016
Truck Year
yes because the fuel keeps your fuel pump cool that is for any vehicle that has fuel pump in the tank

vandan

Sep 18, 2016
Truck Year
I don't let mine go under a quarter tank especially in the summer time or winter,you don't want to get stranded

LuisW35

Dec 28, 2018
Truck Year
I don't let mine go under a quarter tank especially in the summer time or winter,you don't want to get stranded

I never get lower then half a tank today i topped it off

vandan

Sep 18, 2016
Truck Year
have you tried Xp3 additive seems to increase my fuel range I just did 3 tanks and it seems my range has increase by at least 100 klm.

LuisW35

Dec 28, 2018
Truck Year
have you tried Xp3 additive seems to increase my fuel range I just did 3 tanks and it seems my range has increase by at least 100 klm.

I have not but I’ll pick some up.

LuisW35

Dec 28, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks guy after replacing the fuel filter the check engine light went away

Wesley Lantz

Apr 7, 2018
Truck Year
I have the same code along with a pressure loop code new fuel filter. runs very sluggish and even stalled twice. at dealership now will post update anyone else have thi issue

Gav4life

Mar 18, 2020
Truck Year
Most likely you will need to replace the low pressure fuel pump. I just got my truck back yesterday after fixing the same issue.

First, replaced fuel filter but during test drive truck stalled and had to tow back in to the dealership.

Technician tested diesel low pressure side and it was only 40psi and the minimum pressure required is 60psi ( this is for low side only)
High side pressure is like 2900psi
But after replace the low pressure fuel pump truck is running fine so far.
Total damage: $1550-cad (diagnostics, fuel filter, low pressure fuel pump)
U can save ..just order original low pressure fuel pump from Mopar online website. It’s on sale for $328. Find good diesel mechanic and have him replace it for u.

Attachments

• 114C0B5C-8B0E-4244-8F07-7343EDFF773F.jpeg
    114C0B5C-8B0E-4244-8F07-7343EDFF773F.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 15
  • E8E7047E-96B1-4A42-9D4E-2B3D770EA101.jpeg
    E8E7047E-96B1-4A42-9D4E-2B3D770EA101.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 15

bigredaggie

Apr 26, 2020
Truck Year
Most likely you will need to replace the low pressure fuel pump. I just got my truck back yesterday after fixing the same issue.

First, replaced fuel filter but during test drive truck stalled and had to tow back in to the dealership.

Technician tested diesel low pressure side and it was only 40psi and the minimum pressure required is 60psi ( this is for low side only)
High side pressure is like 2900psi
But after replace the low pressure fuel pump truck is running fine so far.
Total damage: $1550-cad (diagnostics, fuel filter, low pressure fuel pump)
U can save ..just order original low pressure fuel pump from Mopar online website. It’s on sale for $328. Find good diesel mechanic and have him replace it for u.
Thank you posting this. I have a 2014 JGC ED, 120k miles and it popped P0087 and P1292 (CNG Pressure Sensor High). It was driving normally without issue, good temps and power. I used BlueDriver to monitor the available fuel system parameters and was able to see that the commanded fuel rail pressure was right on with the measured pressure (~4000 to 17000 psi depending on engine load). I followed the troubleshooting steps on your service ticket and replaced the two fuel filters, primed the pump about five times, and then cleared the CEL. So far so good driving fine and the CEL has not returned. The Jeep needed a regen but it wouldn’t initiate due to the CEL. But after clearing the CEL it initiated regen right away and finished on the highway business as usual. I don’t see parameters in BlueDriver to monitor the low pressure fuel pump pressure, but I’m not having the stalling issue that you did. I still don’t know if changing the fuel filters actually solved it, or if this was just a momentary hiccup with either the fuel system or one of the sensors and I could have just cleared the CEL and moved on, but I don’t know the last time the filters were changed so it was 80 bucks well spent either way. Very very simple job if anyone is considering it. I was warned by a friend that modern high pressure fuel pumps tend to fail in such a way as to send aluminum shrapnel into your fuel system and damage everything downstream and that driving with a failing pump is a ticking time bomb. I’m interested to know if anyone knows and more “home diagnostics” I can do to validate the HPFP is okay besides just looking at the delta between commanded and measured fuel pressure via OBD?