• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

COOL DOWN IDLE CHART

Hm Bacon

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
In my 2016 user's guide on page 191 is a Cool Down Idle Chart. There is no explanation. I have assumed it is important and when pulling my trailer I let the engine idle for 5 minutes. With no load I don't idle at all. Is the turbo temp column the turbo temp based on driving conditions and load or is there info on the turbo temp. I have looked at all the info on the dash and don't see turbo temp. Am I missing something?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
In my 2016 user's guide on page 191 is a Cool Down Idle Chart. There is no explanation. I have assumed it is important and when pulling my trailer I let the engine idle for 5 minutes. With no load I don't idle at all. Is the turbo temp column the turbo temp based on driving conditions and load or is there info on the turbo temp. I have looked at all the info on the dash and don't see turbo temp. Am I missing something?
Sadly no you are not missing anything. Axctual EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) would be a aftermarket monitor. The chart in the owners manual is an assumption of EGT and an educated guess on appropriate idle times, based on driving conditions and load. Even with modern turbo design, oil and engine coolant cooled, excessive EGT thus higher turbo temps can be detrimental to the life of your turbo. Even with no load I will idle one to two minutes based on how long since I have run at highway speeds. Like you after load and highway speeds prefer a longer idle time. The CD with the manual is no better on an explanation.
Enjoy your truck.