• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Def gauge

Reaves T.

Jan 4, 2019
Truck Year
2014 with 85000 miles DEF gauge shows almost empty, although my DEF tank is almost full. Warnings that my truck will not start after 300 miles.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I can't help with a fix but there is a procedure for emergency start if you get into a bind.

Attachments

• Emergency Start REVISED.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 106

JVF

Jan 5, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Just a comment on the gauge. My 2018 only has 1200 miles on it and the gauge reads at about 2/3. Are these gauges known to be inaccurate or could engine be using this much DEF.
Don't want to high jack your thread. Is a bummer your system has gone array.

2ndGenJohn

Jan 6, 2019
From what I’ve read the def level censor gets dried up def fluid on it and it can’t read correctly Not sure what the procedure for cleaning it is if that is actually the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVF

Jan 5, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks for the reply john. Sounds logical to me. It was back to normal today.

EcoClay95

Dec 12, 2018
Truck Year
I’ve kinda got the same problem. I filled up my def when I bought my truck with 65k miles on it and hasn’t moved almost 1,200 miles later.

JVF

Jan 5, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yea, mine reads close then goes down, the later in the day back to what appears normal. My ECO is a 2018 just having 1300 miles on it. I'll let it ride until It gets low and I fill up. Could just be the new gauge or def that sat for 3 month in cold topped with a foot of snow. I'll report when the time comes.I can deal with the minor things.

JMF157

Jan 11, 2019
Truck Year
I hope this information helps; it was told to me by a diesel mechanic that works for the local fire district keeping all the fire apparatus ready for that moments notice.

He started with:
1. ALL DEF fluid is the same. No brand is better than any other so don't waste your money.
2. Naturally the bigger the engine the more DEF it will use. He was familiar with the EcoDiesel and said that it uses very little DEF in the first place and I could expect to refuel 6-12 tanks under normal driving conditions before needing to add DEF. (I have been to the 12 side).
3. The harder you push the engine, hard acceleration, towing, the more DEF will be consumed.
4. DEF Freezes. Therefore, in colder ares (I'm from Long Island), DO NOT over fill the DEF tank in freezing weather. If you overfill the tank and the fluid stays within the fill tube, it will start to freeze overnight. Once the process starts it will propagate through the tank making it a solid mass by morning. During the very cold months, keep the tank no less than 1/4 and no more than 3/4. At 1/4, a 2.5 gallon bottle of DEF will fill the tank to 3/4 full. (8 gallon DEF tank)
5. DEF is Urea and water, usually about a 1:2 ratio. If left to its own devices, it will crystallize. If a tank is left long enough it can form crystals that may clog the system if they do not dissolve.

2016 EcoDiesel Crew Cab, 8 gal. DEF, 26 gal. fuel, Purchased 6/2018 used with 30K now has 45K.

JVF

Jan 5, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks for this info JMF. I just purchased my Laramie 2018 new. I do not know how much DEF was in the tank before prep for delivery. Temperatures were below freezing. As to how cold it had been I do not Know. As of Jan. 27th I assume in the teens in northern Idaho.
What is the outcome if tank does freeze the DEF?
I live in Montrose, Colorado. Gets cold but not sub zero much. I've rearranged my shop So I can park it in warm area.

Last edited:

JMF157

Jan 11, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for this info JMF. I just purchased my Laramie 2018 new. I do not know how much DEF was in the tank before prep for delivery. Temperatures were below freezing. As to how cold it had been I do not Know. As of Jan. 27th I assume in the teens in northern Idaho.
What is the outcome if tank does freeze the DEF?
I live in Montrose, Colorado. Gets cold but not sub zero much. I've rearranged my shop So I can park it in warm area.
The only way I know of right now to fix a frozen DEF tank is to reheat by leaving it in a warm garage or blow warmed air across it. it is a valid question though and I will have to look into it myself like can 'Dry Gas' be added to the tank and not hurt anything. Dry Gas being methyl alcohol with a very low freezing point, well into the negatives (-F).

JMF157

Jan 11, 2019
Truck Year
I found this today doing research on DEF freezing:

A large part of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is de-ionized water, do I have to worry about the tank or other parts of the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system freezing?
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) freezes into a crystalline slush at 12°F (-11°C) and should not be kept at temperatures above 86°F (30°C). If DEF is frozen on your vehicle, for example overnight or over a weekend, you do not need to take any action. Use the vehicle as you normally would. Truck manufacturers use a variety of heating methods to thaw frozen DEF tanks, including in-tank heating elements. While the thawing process is taking place the vehicle's performance will not be affected (the amount of DEF used will be reduced because a cold engine produces a low level of NOx emissions). In some cases the DEF supply tubes are also heated to prevent freezing or tubes are emptied once the engine is turned off. In short, there is no reason to be concerned about using your SCR truck in cold weather.

It came form this website: https://www.discoverdef.com/

Very informative website; I'm learning quite a bit and I hope it help everyone also.